AC Power Cable for a Peavey 24FX Mixer

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Peadar

AC Power Cable for a Peavey 24FX Mixer

Post by Peadar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 am

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this forum (or any Forum for that matter). I hope someone is able to help me. I'll get right to it. The power cord that came with my Peavey 24FX mixer (the only one I ever use) vanished into thin air last rehearsal, and of course, no one knows, or has seen anything. The Cable is like a normal 240v IEC (kettle type), except it has a great, big, heavy, black, brick, type of affair in line. I've tried to find a replacement, but nobody can even tell me (with any certainty) what this black brick thing is. A Peavey service agent in Victoria (I'm in South Australia - no service agent here) told me it "may" only be an EMI filter, and said to try an ordinary IEC cable. I'm tempted, but since this particular mixer shows some minor occasional symptoms of tourette's, I'm not really that game. Can anybody tell me what that brick is? Or, would I have any problem using a normal cable without the brick? Or, can someone tell me where I can find a replacement? Or, (last one) is there a brick device I can fit to a cable?

I hope someone can help. I don't want to damage the mixer for the lack of the proper power cable. I need it for a Gig next Saturday.

Cheers,
Peadar

Dano0369

Re: AC Power Cable for a Peavey 24FX Mixer

Post by Dano0369 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Hell-o Sir ; the big black "thing" is a ferrite resistor . any correct iec connector should work. Good Luck :arrow:
Dano0369

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Most versions of the FX mixer do not have an external ferrite core. This must be something added by the Australian distributor to make it pass the local emission laws.

I

Peadar

Post by Peadar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 am

Thank you so much for your replies Dano0369 and jim h, both answers very helpful. Peavey spares (in the US) are looking into it as well, but iust needed to know before I power up for a gig tomorrow night. Didn't want to blow anything up, least of all my mixer. I gingerly plugged in a normal IEC cable and had the desk on (and plugged in to FOH speakers) during the day for the last couple of days, checking out all sorts of instruments and devices checking for "Extra Terrestrial" noises. Nothing but a small amount of minor hiss from the Mackie 15" Thumps. Fairly satisfied it'll survive, would still feel a bit better if I was using the cable it came with. Thanks again Guys, feeling a little more confident now.