Recording from mixer to iPad

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Louis

Recording from mixer to iPad

Post by Louis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I've looked all over for the answer to this but not happy with none of them .Here's the deal,I have a Peavey 10 mixer and want to make a Video with my iPad .Thing is as you all know it's sounds bad that way .What I want to do is go from my Peavy 10 mixer right into my iPad for good direct sound and wondering how I do that .I'm just recording myself solo and acoustic.Thanks Louis
-- Alberta

scott.dickey

Re: Recording from mixer to iPad

Post by scott.dickey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Louis,

It's actually not too complex. What you'll need to do is purchase the Apple Camera Connection Kit. That will allow you to connect a USB cable from the back of the PV10 mixer (the USB B port, the USB A on the top is for devices like thumb drives) to the iPad. Once you connect it, the iPad should automatically set the default audio device as the PV10 mixer, allowing you to record and playback from it.

A word of caution, I have never tried to shoot a video while using an external audio device for the audio, I've only ever done audio-only recordings. I am assuming it will work the same way, but I'm not sure. Also, sometimes different apps will behave differently. I know for a fact apps like Garageband will work seamlessly with external audio devices and have tested the PV10 with Garageband myself. But I can't speak for all apps and how well they support external audio devices.
Scott Dickey
Peavey Embedded Software Engineer

Louis

Post by Louis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks Scott finally getting some where .Only thing is I don't have any USB ports any where on this Peavey 10 model ,must be an older style .

scott.dickey

Post by scott.dickey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Louis,

Oh okay, is this the model you have? If so, yes, that is a very old model. The newer models that have been out for some time now have a lot of features, including Bluetooth, as well as USB that you can utilize with your iPad.
Scott Dickey

Louis

Post by Louis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Yip Scott, that's the one i got about a year ago , not a scratch on it -like new for very little cash and works real good for me as a solo vocalist, sounds like your gonna tell me i'm screwed for what i want to do :o

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:45 am

If you do a google search for "XLR input for iPad" you will come up with about a dozen different products.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xlr+inp ... e&ie=UTF-8

Alternatively, if all you're putting in there is you and an acoustic, you can use one of the several microphones for iPad:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ipad+re ... TpXSygqaiA
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

scott.dickey

Post by scott.dickey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

No you're definitely not screwed, you'll be able to find a solution I'm sure. Those are very good mixers, they are just from over 10 years ago so they weren't designed with today's technology in mind, whereas the newer series was and is able to connect to things like an iPad easily.
Scott Dickey

Louis

Post by Louis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 am

Ok thanks a bunch Scott , well if i can cure it by getting an updated Mixer and problem solved by plug and go maybe i'll see if i can bargain on one.Just tell me which one I can do what I want to and I'll trac it down