ProFex II Rehabilitation / Resurrection

This forum is for discussions on the various types of Peavey processors and effects.
ScottKin

ProFex II Rehabilitation / Resurrection

Post by ScottKin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

I just picked-up a ProFex II the other day at a local Computer Recycling center (go figure!), and I'm having a heck of a time with this thing.

I'm getting the "DSP Interface Error" message when applying power, and the unit reset itself over and over and over. I've done the [Play]+[Global] reset sequence, but that just restarts the whole thing over and over again. I'm suspecting that it's the battery issue that I've read about, but here is a new twist that I haven't seen yet: after leaving power on for a few minutes, I'm getting a new message:

SSI COUNT ERROR
press a key_

which, after doing so, launches the same DSP error message loop, with the occasional "frozen" display or gibberish. My educated guess is that the number of errors in initialization of the DSP is exceeding some limit in it's design.

After opening the device, I do notice a *very* slight amount of corrosion around one of the battery posts, but not as significant as shown in other pics.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is "Ken" still around, and if so, where can he be contacted?

2. If "Ken" is no longer around or reachable, what are my options outside of shipping this back to Peavey? I'm *very* handy with chip-pullers, have my own multimeter, variable-wattage soldering station & anti-static mat.

Is there *any* hope in resurrecting this unit?

Thanks!

e-merlin

Re: ProFex II Rehabilitation / Resurrection

Post by e-merlin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Here's Ken's website:

http://foxvintageamps.com/index.html

My first guess would be the battery that powers the memory.

I'm in a similar position. I have a ProFex II and a TubeFex that need some work. I also have a MIDIPro and I'm afraid it's going to be in the same shape when I fire it up.
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

ScottKin

Post by ScottKin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'm kinda wondering if something else is going on with this unit though; It's exhibiting some behavior that none of the others that have reported problems with their PF II's have reported - at least they've been able to get to a point where their PF II has worked.

I'll talk to Ken and see what he knows, but any additional info from other PF II users would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks again!

--Scott

ScottKin

Post by ScottKin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Follow-up:

I ordered the non-volatile memory chip kit from Ken - awesome response & delivery time.

Cleaned-off the tech-bench, hooked-up the ESD strap to my wrist and I cracked-open the PF II, and found virtually ZERO leakage or corrosion from the battery (sigh-of-relief).

Removed the previous memory chip and installed the new one. Interesting to find that I'm running the PF 2 v1.00 system on this unit.

I checked for any other damage to both sides of the board - I *did* find some dust-flashing around some components on the underside of the board, so I cleaned that up.

So...Held my breath, held-down PLAY + GLOBAL, got the expected "Memory Initialized..." message.....and back to the danged "DSP INTERFACE ERROR" message.

So, power-off, ESD strap back on, carefully removing *every* socketed chip and re-seating it, with no change in results.

<sigh>

I've got Ken's phone number, so I called today and left a message. Next stem is trying to get ahold of Peavey Support and see what they say.

So far, I'm into this for about $100.00 - frustration is building.

--Scott

ohseanyboy

Post by ohseanyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 11:42 am

Hello Scott, I'm new here and I had a PF2 and pedal controller 15 years or so ago but had to sell it after a year when I was laid off from my job. Now here we are in 2013 and all I can think about getting is a PF2 and pedal-board! lol Do you or anyone reading this know where I can get them both in excellent condition? Either unmodified or improved is fine. I have been playing for 30+ years and that is IMHO the best sound processor ever made in the price range it was sold at when they were new. As someone said they were 20 years ahead of their time and they really were. Please help hook me up folks, I really need this unit again. One other thing while these units a great for electric guitars I would use two Peavey amps one on each side of the stage and run the profex2 in stereo using an electric ACOUSTIC guitar. People would stop talking or turn around to see what that unbelievable sound was!

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm thinking about selling my TubeFex because I'm going to use my PFII to run my two amp + MIDIPro WDW setup. Both of the amps I'm using are tube amps so I really won't need the tube preamp capabilities of the TubeFex. It does need a battery or a batteryless conversion, but I have the PFC 10 footswitch. I don't have a second cable, so I have to keep the one I have for the ProFexII.

And, I'm not totally sold on getting rid of it... :oops:
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

Hoosierdaddy47177

Post by Hoosierdaddy47177 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 pm

greetings
I just joined this forum,,and was looking around,Used to be on the steel guitar forum until i replaced my profex units with A Fractal Audio AxeFX XL
So I have I have decided to sell my profex units =======, I collected over the years ,
can send pics
1- profex 2 ,
1 profex unit with original 1 owner manual,
1- bassfex

all working ---- wanting 125.00 each or
300.00 for all ,will throw in 1 non working profex (battery went bad)for parts.
Donnie
[email protected]

mark.w

Post by mark.w » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:26 pm

trying to get profexII running again- from what I've seen probably need new power supply
also searching for cable to foot switch controller - appears to be 8-pin (14 foot switches)

where can I find what I need?

fenderonly

Post by fenderonly » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm