Which for which?

This forum is for discussions on the various types of Peavey processors and effects.
colliedogboy1

Which for which?

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:11 pm

I know what I think is the answer to this question, but I would like to see what the pros say about it. I will then proceed accordingly.
If you have a simple main/monitor system set up and you only have one 15-band equalizer and one 31-band equalizer, which equalizer would you use for the monitor speakers and which one for the mains?
Thanks.

Josjor

Re: Which for which?

Post by Josjor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:53 am

Still a few variables that make this one a little difficult to answer. For instance, what are the speakers for the mains and the monitors? Do they have a good response without processing or do they need a lot of eq'ing to sound good?

How ridiculously loud does the artist need the monitors? What mics are they using?

That said, I would most likely lean towards the 15 band on the mains and the 31 band on the monitors.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Peter Richter

Post by Peter Richter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:21 am

I concur.... whichever one is giving you the most trouble
Peter Richter
Brisbane Audio Services - Sound and Lighting for Any Event
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.brisbaneaudioservices.com.au

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks, guys. That confirms what I thought about it, too. It just seems that the monitor system would need the more precise control of the 31-band EQ because of the proximity of the monitor speakers to the microphones. The EQ on the mains can be used as much for "tone-shaping" as for feedback control, and a 15-band unit could suffice there in case you are put to such a choice. I have accumulated several dual 31-band EQs since so many people are going to digital mixers and are selling their 31-band units. Likely I won't run into that situation, but I just wondered if my thinking was on the right track in this instance.
Thanks again.

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Yes, when limited to these EQs, then it is best to put the 31 band on monitors, and the 15 band on mains.