Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection...

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Reno400

Re: Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection..

Post by Reno400 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Stripping and repainting the PMH.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 am

Top of cologne bottle was used to restore shape of grill. Impressions were made in foil, in order to match against and maintain the original diameter.

Repaired grill. This one appears to be plated with yellow chromate.

Grill now repainted.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

A new PMH label.

A felt cover on it's side, showing the seam where it's glued. In an abundance of caution, I'll let the paint on the mic body dry another day or two before I put the parts back on.
Last edited by Reno400 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:15 am

Well Reno, you have certainly put quite a bit of time into refurbishing a microphone model that was not very expensive in the first place. It was manufacturered for Peavey by Astatic an American manufacturer of phonograph cartridges.

It was decent for the times, but compared to what is available today for less money, I question whether or not you will receive any ROI for the amount of time you have spent.

A great hobbie if you enjoy it, but you won't send your kids through college on the profit.

But if it makes you happy . . . . Great job!

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 am

Marty McCann wrote:Well Reno, you have certainly put quite a bit of time into refurbishing a microphone model that was not very expensive in the first place. It was manufacturered for Peavey by Astatic an American manufacturer of phonograph cartridges.

It was decent for the times, but compared to what is available today for less money, I question whether or not you will receive any ROI for the amount of time you have spent.

A great hobbie if you enjoy it, but you won't send your kids through college on the profit.

But if it makes you happy . . . . Great job!

Thanks for the information, Marty. Yes, it's strictly a hobby, much like what I've done with all the combo amps and speakers. There are no plans to sell anything. As far as I know, these things will be around here for the next 30 years. In this case, we have this obscure and hard to find microphone (that there's not much demand for). I've been wanting to get one of the older ones like this, "just to have it". As far as ROI, we know that'll never happen. Perhaps if this were a $2,000 item, versus something I purchased for ten dollars, that may someday fetch around it's original $100 asking price. Though no one item is worth that much, it all begins to add up. Some of the combo amps I've worked on can get $300 to $500 each. From there, it's a matter of items that (if I were ever going to sell them) would see around $10.00 to $100.00 each. Many of the mics $20 to $30 each. So at least it provides entertainment and education. While they're not always considered worth working on in terms of turning a profit, at least they're not things that become absolutely worthless after you buy them (like many household goods, for example).

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Amazing detail. Looks great.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks, Darren. I try. From now on, I'll be buying only in mint or near mint condition. They're out there. I'm seeing something I like around every two months, so they'll continue to trickle in for a while.

The now completed black PMH...

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Marty McCann wrote:....It was manufacturered for Peavey by Astatic an American manufacturer of phonograph cartridges....
So what was the first true Peavey designed and manufactured microphone?
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:17 am

Good question, Darren. It got me looking around. Here are drawings from a patent issued to Astatic. The patent is for a microphone screen. It was filed on October 12, 1976, and issued on December 27, 1977. Notice the striking similarity to the Peavey PBL/PBH. An identical screen consisting of four pieces held together with epoxy cement. This appears to be the mic body used for the PB Series, Celebrity Series, and PV Series. In the patent, the mic body is described as "formed with an upwardly projecting portion forming a shoulder with a gracefully curved wider portion of the handle". Even the outline of the cartridge (figures 1 and 4) is a dead ringer for the shape of the cartridge used in the PBL/PBH mics. In looking around at old Astatic mics/catalogs, I couldn't find any resembling the one represented in this drawing.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Amazon has a sale on Peavey mic clips. They are currently offered for a fraction of what they would typically sell for. A couple weeks ago, they were selling for 85 cents less than what is shown now. Either that, or they charged me a lower price than what was listed. So for anyone interested in these, you might want to check it out.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm

For those who may be interested, here's a spec sheet for PVi2 microphones.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Reno400 wrote:Image

Amazon has a sale on Peavey mic clips. They are currently offered for a fraction of what they would typically sell for. A couple weeks ago, they were selling for 85 cents less than what is shown now. Either that, or they charged me a lower price than what was listed. So for anyone interested in these, you might want to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I ordered four of them.
Darren

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am

Before, during, and after pics of the Shure SM58S/565SD project...

Two Peavey PV microphones...

Since it's not in the archived manuals section, here's a spec sheet for the original PV microphone (applies to 1987-1990 models).

A colorful shot of the Peavey PMH diaphragm.

questor

Re: Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection...

Post by questor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Hello,

I recently obtained an untested Electro-Voice 671BL Microphone like your EV 671 shown in this forum post and I have several 671b rebuild/repair questions to ask. I called EV Tech Support and they no longer support older EV Mics, they have no replacement parts and no cross-references about parts suppliers. Even the EV 671 technical drawings were thrown out when their EV Michigan manufacturing plant closed and EV offices moved to New York!

My questions are:
1.) Where can I obtain vintage EV 671 microphone parts from an online store? eBay hardly has these parts and it seems that spare parts "donor" 671 mics are hard to find in my area...
2.) Where could I obtain a replacement "plunger style" rubber housing at the rear of the 671 diaphragm like yours?
3.) Where could I obtain a matching Switchcraft On/Off Switch with a locking tab in case my 671b Switch is bad?
4.) Where, what thickness, and what type of Acoustic Foam did you use to replace the damaged Foam in your 671 mic?
5.) Which other Internet Forums or Websites have additional info about Electro-Voice vintage mics other than the EV OEM website?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated!

Thanks, Steve
Cincinnati, OH

studiodtk5

Re: Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection...

Post by studiodtk5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Unfortunately I have not seen Reno on much lately. He is the best to help on this.

The best place I found for microphone parts is Full Compass. But usually the parts are fore Shure microphones.
Darren