Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection...

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Reno400

Re: Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection..

Post by Reno400 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:55 pm

A burned-out cartridge from a PBH. Large 1-1/8" diaphragm. There's a burnt and broken wire. Some oily liquid substance can be seen around the coil.

The rusty, broken, and dented microphone grills before repairing and painting.

Microphone grills after painting (masking tape still covering labels).

PBL mic before and during cleaning. I had to get this one really white, in order to match the area underneath what was once a label.

A finished PBL. Notice the deflector on the cartridge. The aluminum is placed so that it's elevated just above the plastic, in such manner that the holes don't align with the eight holes underneath.
Last edited by Reno400 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm

There are a total of four, so far. Three with original cartridges, one with the cartridge from a Red 5 Audio RVD30 (Frequency Response: 40Hz - 16kHz).

A PBL/PBH diaphragm, before and after cleaning.

A freshly painted PBL/PBH

A look inside one that's been cleaned, before adding new components.

Two grills I'll be cleaning for use.

Wiring a PBL/PBH.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 am

This PBL was stripped, then painted with the black rubberized paint discussed earlier.

A close-up of the grill I'll be using with the black PBL.

The PBL/PBH grills I'm currently working on.

I've run out of working PBL/PBH cartridges, so I'll be using one similar to this for the new black version.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm

looks awesome!
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks, Darren! I might as well post a pic of the four completed PBL/PBH microphones.

Three with PBL labels, and one with a PBH label. Other than the labels, there's really no difference between the PBL and PBH. The one sold as PBH came with a cable that had a low-to-high impedance matching transformer built into the phone plug. Without that cable, any PBH can be used as low impedance.

There is no spec sheet for these in the archives, so I'm posting some images from one.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 am

Older Shure grill after repair and cleaning.

The same grill with numerous dents, before repair.

The dented up grill shown here with dent repair "implements". This mic is the later (and less desirable) version of the Realistic 33-983. In 1976, the cartridge was changed to the (Shure) R8. This is basically a Shure 588. The earlier version (1971-1975), seen in first post of this thread, has a frequency response of 50 - 15,000 Hz. This one is 80 to 13,000 Hz.

Using insulated wire to pull out a dent below the shock ring.

Same method for a Peavey grill. Larger openings to get the wire through. If it's one that I need to repaint, I can go to thicker (bare) wire.

A view inside the mic I'm working on.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:05 am

Peavey PB Series wiring...

With PBH/PBL cartridge: Black and red wires from the XLR connector go directly to cartridge, then double back to switch.

Alternate method (when replacing the original cartridge with a newer one, where the terminals are not as far apart as they are on a PBH/PBL cartridge): Black and red wires go from XLR connector to switch, then a single black and red jump from the switch to the cartridge.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Interesting that in the PBH/PBL microphone description, Peavey is mis-spelled "Peavy"

A lot of great work there.
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 am

I caught that, but only after I posted it here. I like the "Sibrophase" acoustic filter. For me, that ranks right up there with Focused Field Geometry™ and Super Structure™.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Sibrophase isn't even a word. Sibro is welsh for "to do with sauce". Doesn't make sense. At least the others make some kinda sense, even if it is stupid marketing.
Darren

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 am

One more post on the PB microphones, since I've now added a fifth one. This one came in great cosmetic condition, and is a late model PBH. The shock mount system had been redesigned, and there were a number of other (more subtle) changes.

On earlier PB Series mics, you turn the cartridge counterclockwise, then pull up to remove it. For the updated version, the shock mount design is more elaborate. You need to remove the XLR, then loosen the screw behind it.

This one had another cartridge gone bad. Very faint pickup, with plenty of buzzing. I went to extremes to try and diagnose and repair it. I settled on replacing it with this modern-day dual dome diaphragm neodymium cartridge. It was either that, or a cartridge from a PV, which is apparently what Peavey replaces them with (when someone sends one in for work, which I imagine would be seldom).

The new cartridge installed. The grill still has it's original foam.

Some subtle differences. Larger Peavey logo, and a taller switch.

Going to extremes to try and save this cartridge. What I described earlier as an "oily liquid substance", is just the glue used to attach the coil to the diaphragm.

The aforementioned "Sibrophase" filters from the redesigned PB Series. I'm guessing these are circa 1980-1982. Likely discontinued when the Celebrity Series was introduced in '83.

An older cartridge with different "Sibrophase" filters.

The low-to-high impedance matching transformer in the PL-55 phone plug that came with PBH mics.

The (newer) PBL/PBH cartridge assembly.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 am

Disassembling a PVM 22 microphone... I've dealt with a number of PB Series mics here, so I thought it's time to maybe change gears. I recently purchased a not working PVM 22 for a total of $11.79. Before I went to take it apart, I attempted to find pictures of one that had been disassembled. Couldn't so much as find a pic of one with even just the grill removed. Now, there are going to be a couple dozen pics. This turned into two projects. I really wanted to replace the cartridge with one from a 1980's Peavey Celebrity CD-20. That was going to be too much of an orchestration. The cartridge needs to be positioned higher than it is in the CD-20. I was also unfamiliar with taking apart a Celebrity Series mic. First, you'll see where I replaced the cartridge with a Nady. I later decided I would go for it, regarding the CD-20, and keep this PVM 22 ALL Peavey. There are a ton of pics here. I estimate this PVM 22 is an earlier example, possibly 1998-1999.

The PVM 22 on the left is shown for comparison only. It's an all original version with no issues (and rubberized paint). All pics below are of the PVM 22 shown here on the right. There's no exterior "BEFORE" pic. This mic arrived in excellent cosmetic shape. Just needed some cleaning and a slight bit of touch-up paint work. This is the first time I've seen a PVM 22 without rubberized paint. That will be more noticeable in pics further down.

First thing about these (many of you probably already know), is this mic has a two part grill. Only the top portion twists off. The two parts below the shock ring (lower grill and collar) appear to be pressed in. Unfortunately, this cartridge was dead, and there was nothing that could be done for it. You'll notice deteriorating/broken pieces of the shock mount system. Tabs from a silicone ring have become yellowed and broken. The pink foam squares have begun to collapse, so the cartridge was rattling around. This picture inadvertently captured a large amount of metal shavings on the diaphragm cover.

The PVM 22 Cartridge.

Here, we see things taken apart. This is a rather complex and effective shock mount arrangement. Not what I'd consider user serviceable, at least as compared to the PB and PV Series mics. You'll notice the large rubber boot, the bottom of which was glued to the compartment divider inside the mic body. This hollow rubber tube dampens up and down motion, while the silicone and foam softens any side to side movement. This is a VERY LARGE diaphragm. The voice coil alone is 3/4 of an inch. The cartridge measures about 1 3/8 inches round. Unlike the PBH/PBL, the diaphragm cover cannot be removed without destroying the diaphragm.

The magnet assembly was contaminated with metal shavings, likely resulting in premature failure of the cartridge.

View inside the mic body with the components removed.

Removing the XLR connector. This one is sealed/glued (from behind), and also contains an o-ring.

Preparing to install a Nady neodymium cartridge, during the first round of the mic rehab.

PVM 22 replacement cartridges aren't exactly falling from the sky, and the Nady "DM-10D" was very easy to install. There were no modifications needed. I later found myself revisiting this project, after finding time to take apart a Peavey CD-20. The CD-20 didn't have the correct grill. It's also another white microphone. Not crazy about white microphones, despite having all the PBH/PBL mics. The only mic I find attractive in white, is the new Peavey PVi 2W (shown earlier in this thread). It's a highly exceptional mic for the money, by the way. I highly recommend it. A lower-cost (made in China, but excellent build quality) alternative for those who may not want to (or be able to) spring for the PVM 22. The PVi 2 is also available in black. Anyway... The Nady is an excellent cartridge/element, but not quite up to the standard of what you find in a PVM 22 or 46. As far as sound characteristics, my Nady mics with this cartridge are most comparable to a Sennheiser E815S. The CD-20 (50 to 16,000 Hz) has performance attributes closer to what I'd expect, when I pick up a PVM 22. It would also keep this mic American-made.

Cartridge removed from the CD-20 (aluminum tape I use to protect plastic during soldering).

New wiring. After this, the rear filter (source of those fibers you see) was put back in place and secured with a short nylon screw.

CD-20 cartridge ready for installation in the 22. The shock mount is from a late 90's Peavey PVi mic.

The CD-20 cartridge now in the PVM 22.

The cover/deflector from a PB Series mic is a perfect fit. It gives the CD-20 cartridge a more "finished" look. However, after testing with and without, I decided not to add it. The cartridge would remain the way it was used in the CD-20. Having that many covers in such close proximity seemed to cause air bursts to bounce around, resulting in a combination of echo and distortion.

"AFTER" pics...

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm

An amazing amount of work and detail you put into this.

You make me want to rehab and old EV microphone I have. Well maybe not...

Great work!
Darren

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks, Darren. The mic work was kind of enjoyable, after days of pressure washing, yard work, and home repairs.

The "Custom Mic" Project... I had some extra Peavey parts I wanted to make use of. One of them was the grill I worked on, which was originally to be used for a special all black PBH mic. The other being the body of the Celebrity Series CD-20 (from which I took the cartridge from for the PVM 22 project).

The (formerly white) CD-20 mic body after being stripped.

Raised imperfections sanded out, as shown here in this pic of a different mic body. I sand in a circular pattern, turning the piece in 400 grit aluminum oxide

I was originally going to use this cartridge from a 1980's Peavey PV microphone. I eventually decided on a larger and heavier cartridge from an Audio-Technica ATR-30. It has a larger diameter diaphragm. Generally speaking, I find the sound is better with larger diaphragms.

The parts are now ready for assembly. Mic grill, Switchcraft XLR jack, and wires are from a Peavey PBH/PBL ― Mic body from Peavey Celebrity Series CD-20 ― Cartridge with shock mount from Audio-Technica ATR-30.

Ready to solder the XLR. Frequency response for the ATR-30 was 60 - 15,000 Hz. In this case, the cartridge is set higher on the body. Also, the ATR's grill was 2.55 inches tall. This Peavey grill is 1.75 inches tall. With the diaphragm so much closer to the tip of the grill, I would expect the frequency response to be closer to 50 - 15,000 Hz.

Switchcraft XLR connector now wired. Pictures of the finished microphone are below. Weight is 9.3 ounces (compared to 8 ounces for the PV and CD-20).

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:27 pm

That looks amazing. When I saw the microphone body in the stripped and sanded bare metal I though it looked great that way. I thought you were going to leave it like that.

It looks good in the black rubberized too.

How long does it take you to make the custom mic upgrades?
Darren