Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection...

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Reno400

Re: Meet The Microphones. Pics Of Mics From My Collection..

Post by Reno400 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:09 am

studiodtk5 wrote:That looks amazing. When I saw the microphone body in the stripped and sanded bare metal I though it looked great that way. I thought you were going to leave it like that.

It looks good in the black rubberized too.

How long does it take you to make the custom mic upgrades?
It would have been very fast to put this one together, except that I started out by painting it red.

I was going for something kind of unusual looking. Thought I'd try red and black. I had this paint I bought to use on a patio set. I stripped the white paint off the mic, and did not sand it. I painted it the red color (Rust-Oleum "High Performance" Enamel, Bright Red). I went heavy, in order to create an orange peel textured effect that would hide the raised imperfections. About 40 hours later, I go to put it together. I lay it down on that shirt for the pic, and it sticks to the shirt. It's destroyed. Long story short, apparently there was residue from the paint remover still on the mic body when it was sprayed red. Didn't have this problem with the yard furniture. No paint stripper was used. In fact, one of the chairs fell against my shirt just 30 minutes after being sprayed. Nothing happened. Didn't stick to me, and there was no impression in the paint.

Thinking the problem was the red paint (because this was before I tried it on the yard furniture), I decided on the $1.00 flat black from Home Depot. After trying all the more expensive paint, I keep coming back to this stuff. Dries fast, and is indestructible. When you spray it on metal, it comes out looking more eggshell or satin, than it does flat. This finish looks identical to the black paint on the 1990's PV mic (pictured earlier in the this thread). This time, I decided to sand it, so I wouldn't have to worry about covering up imperfections. You can leave them sanded/unpainted (as I did with that one 1980's PV), like an old Shure. The brushed stainless steel look. However (unlike the old Shure mics), every time you handle them, it leaves marks and discoloration.

As far as the rubberized black paint... That was applied flawlessly on the PBH mic shown a few posts back. But I learned it was not a good choice for a mic with a switch. It was nearly assembled, when I go to install the two small screws for the switch. As I tighten them, they begin twisting the paint off the mic. I abandoned that project. I peeled the rubberized paint off in one piece. That's a sanded one, and I've chosen to spray it red. I'll let it sit around for a few weeks, then maybe do the black and red thing with it. The black rubberized paint would have been a good choice for this "custom mic" I just did (no on/off switch). But after the red paint debacle, I wanted something that was easy to apply, has a faster drying time, and is tough.

Otherwise, most of the time spent on the all black mic in the last post, was just planning what to use with it. I have this box of mics I use for parts. I've been taking cartridges from them, as well as rubber parts to adapt other cartridges for installation in different mics. There's a different box for parts from Peavey mics. Anyway, while I was painting the patio set, I missed a great deal on Ebay. Two (used) working PVM 22's just sold for $23.95 plus $7.49 shipping. About $15 each. The paint was in rough shape, but I could have repainted those (below the collar with the printed labels, which looked fine). The one grill could have easily been straightened. Access to the tops of those is so easy. Of course, to outbid, I might have ended up paying $20 or $25 each. Who knows, but still a deal.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am

Peavey Celebrity Series EC-11 Electret Condenser: Circa 1983-1986

Shure BG 1.1: Circa 1998 ― (made in Mexico) ― 85 - 14,000 Hz ― neodymium magnet ― 150 ohms ― 10.2 ounces

Electro-Voice 671 Project...

EV 671 BEFORE pic. Introduced in 1975 with a suggested retail price of $68.70 ― 60 - 14,000 Hz ― 150 ohm/Hi-Z selectable ― 8 ounces. This one arrived in non-working condition.

Someone was in here, looking around. Original tape had been removed and replaced with packaging tape. Foam had deteriorated, leaving a mess.

Checking the wiring.

Someone had changed the wires for high impedance operation.

Final test of the diaphragm. Original wires are bypassed. I'm checking this using wiring from a different mic. This revealed a bad wire (the white one).

Rubber shock mount and electrical tape removed from cartridge, in order to solder two new (and thicker) wires.

Cartridge now ready to be put back in housing.

Ready to go back in the microphone.

A pic of the lockable Switchcraft on/off switch, after cleaning.

Inside of mic body cleaned. Wired using a different Switchcraft XLR.

Components ready to go back in. I ended up using a smaller (not as wide) piece of linen tape than what you see here. The screen cover was removed and cleaned. The diaphragm was cleaned.

The grill, after cleaning and dents removed. New foam.

An AFTER pic of the Electro-Voice 671.

Two Peavey mic bodies painted for some future project. Only one will be used. I'll probably try the red and black thing with the PB Series. Won't be able to get to this for a few weeks, so the paint will have plenty of time to dry. These were painted over a week ago.

mikkpeace

Post by mikkpeace » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:28 pm

do the switches go out on alot of these,i have 4 mics look good shape but 3 dont work???

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:41 am

1980's Peavey Flashback...

Just recently found these Peavey catalogs and decals in a file cabinet. I had placed them there some 25 years ago, after making several purchases. They are pictured here with a PVM 380N microphone and flight case, in a position similar to the mic and case shown on the cover of the 1987 Audio Systems catalog. I'll be posting some images from these two catalogs as time allows.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:38 am

Reno400 wrote:1980's Peavey Flashback...

Just recently found these Peavey catalogs and decals in a file cabinet. I had placed them there some 25 years ago, after making several purchases. They are pictured here with a PVM 380N microphone and flight case, in a position similar to the mic and case shown on the cover of the 1987 Audio Systems catalog. I'll be posting some images from these two catalogs as time allows.

Great post. I have some of those smaller stickers still. I had the "Peavey Powered" sticker but put it on something that is long gone.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Peavey Domestic Facilities As Of 1987

Microphones As Seen In 1987 Audio Systems Catalog

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 am

The Peavey PVM 380N. Sold from 1988 through 1992.

Yet another Realistic 33-1070 omnidirectional. This is the original made in Japan version. Styled after the Electro-Voice RE50, it's one of my favorite designs. The earlier ones are made of aluminum (like the RE50), and sound better than the later version made by Shure. I bought one of these back in 1982. That one was stolen in high school. The school reimbursed me, and I put the money towards an SM58, which I owned for the next 27 years.

Another microphone project I completed a couple months ago. A red and black Peavey PB Series with a generic neodymium element. More pics below.

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Audio-Technica AT 802: (made in Japan) ― introduced in 1978 ― omnidirectional ― 50 - 15,000 Hz

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Reno400;

Thanks for the posts. I remember those systems well. I had a set of the SP2a's when I ventured into sound for "real" if you will in 1988.
I forgot about the HDH1. What a system. At 250lbs it was a man killer as well. I remember Marty had a set in Bangor Maine around 1989 at a peavey sound system show. They had some output!

I have one of those Peavey PV microphones. All the paint has come off but it still works. I use it as a talk back mic to this day!

I have pretty much every monitor magazine from 1988 to about 2005. ( 40 years, The Peavey story ) I look at them from time to time. Remembering how it used to be. How little I knew. Back then I had a set of Sp2a's with a pair of Fh1 subs biamped with a CS800 amp and a XR1600c powered mixer to mix and power the monitor system. I was big time! 8) Every show was fun and sounded great.
How times have changed.

Doug

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Dookie wrote:Reno400;

Thanks for the posts. I remember those systems well. I had a set of the SP2a's when I ventured into sound for "real" if you will in 1988.
I forgot about the HDH1. What a system. At 250lbs it was a man killer as well. I remember Marty had a set in Bangor Maine around 1989 at a peavey sound system show. They had some output!

I have one of those Peavey PV microphones. All the paint has come off but it still works. I use it as a talk back mic to this day!

I have pretty much every monitor magazine from 1988 to about 2005. ( 40 years, The Peavey story ) I look at them from time to time. Remembering how it used to be. How little I knew. Back then I had a set of Sp2a's with a pair of Fh1 subs biamped with a CS800 amp and a XR1600c powered mixer to mix and power the monitor system. I was big time! 8) Every show was fun and sounded great.
How times have changed.

Doug
Thank you. It's been my pleasure. I'm nostalgic for those days of Tolex, chrome corners, aluminum "silver stripes", Rogan knobs, giant horns, huge combo amps, and the Black Widow "Super Structure". I didn't remember the HDH. Must have been the 1987 equivalent of today's QW Series. I suspect they're very hard to find. I was so laser focused on what I was buying, that I had forgotten about many of their products. Until several years ago, I had forgotten they made microphones. I know that I viewed this period as a sort of "heyday". Specifically, 1983 to 1988. Most of the used stuff I've come across and/or own is dated 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986; with 1986 being the most common. I believe they were coming off a huge year and flying high when these glossy catalogs were printed for '87. I think these years were surpassed in terms of sales in 2009. I believe that year was their largest to date. I wish I'd have picked up more of the catalogs. There must have been at least six or eight that year. I didn't get one with combo amps. Thanks for sharing your story!

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Close look at a mint condition Peavey microphone flight type carrying case. This one is from about 1989...

Another Audio-Technica microphone...

Audio-Technica AT814a: Circa 1984 ― (made in Japan) ― 50 - 16,000 Hz ― 250 ohms ― 11.6 ounces

The next project...

The body of a Shure 565SD with an SM58S cartridge housing. This will be fitted with a Shure cartridge of some sort, and will get a late 60's - early 70's era chrome Shure grill.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Peavey made the best microphone cases of any manufacutrer, EVER!
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:05 am

>>>
Peavey made the best microphone cases of any manufacutrer, EVER!
<<<

Yes, affectionately refered to as "Gerbil Coffins"!

Reno400

Post by Reno400 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:46 pm

The Peavey PMH Microphone. Until this came along (i.e., I bought it on Ebay, not like it just rolled in here on wheels), the old Shure 565SD was going to be the next project.

Damaged label. Never like to see that. Not much information out there about the PMH. Perhaps Marty has more information on these. I can tell you that it's a superb sounding microphone. I prefer it over the PBL/PBH microphones. These were in the lineup of Peavey's first four microphones, introduced for 1974 (see advertisement below). In 1976, the two unpainted (probably satin chrome finish) ones were dropped from the lineup. The two white ones were then sold concurrently with the PBL and PBH, but I don't know for how long.

A 1974 Peavey ad. The text reads:

The new Peavey line of professional microphones were designed and engineered to comply with the high standards of quality found in Peavey public address systems. Each of these four models can be used as a high or low impedence mike by interchanging the microphone cable. Peavey mikes feature an extremely wide and smooth frequency response with a very tight cardioid pattern for clean, realistic vocal reproduction. Each mike comes with a rugged, foam padded carrying case, deluxe mike holder, and a 20 foot cable with matching transformer. All mikes have on-off switches with excellent shock insulation. These new models are priced from $89.50 to $115.50, and are sold only by authorized Peavey Dealers.

It needs some cosmetic help, and it's gonna be a while before I can get to it. I'll be going about this in the least invasive way. It's working perfectly, and I'd prefer not to take everything apart. I'll be stripping and repainting it. I may use satin black paint with no label. I may use the historically correct gloss white. I might be able to repair the existing label, or I might fabricate a new one. I'd like to go black on this one, but that could require removing all the electronics. There's adhesive sealant on the XLR connector, and that creates extra work.

A pic with the dented windscreen removed for repair and repainting. There's a screen insert with a foam round attached. Diaphragm has a felt-like cover. At the cartridge assembly, there's a foam surround that's about to crumble.

Audio-Technica AT804...

Audio Technica AT804: Circa 2009 ― (made in Japan) ― omnidirectional ― 50 - 15,000 Hz ― 600 ohms ― 7.5 ounces