Securing headset mic to ear.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
colliedogboy1

Securing headset mic to ear.

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:47 pm

What is the secret to keeping an ear-worn headset mic stabilized against your ear? I have heard many people complain that they flop around and up and down. I have never used one, myself, but would certainly like for our pastor to wear one when he preaches. He, too, is afraid that it might be hard to keep one secured in the right position when he moves about. Thanks for any suggestions.

Josjor

Re: Securing headset mic to ear.

Post by Josjor » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Try a drywall screw into the cranium. :D

Seriously, though.............If you buy a quality one, it really shouldn't be an issue once you get them set to the users profile.

The one that I use at my church is the Elite Core OSP-09.
Most (QUALITY!!) companies that make these smaller style headsets have made them so that they can be gently bent to conform to the user. The only time (and it's rare) that I've had them move at all is if the user didn't put them on properly to begin with or if they mistakenly catch the cable somehow.

Look at it this way: if there wasn't a way to make them stay put, why would a huge majority of pastor's and presenters use them?
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 pm

super glue or duct tape..

seriously the hook around the ear and the bend of the mic wire will keep it pretty balanced and secure

Peter Richter

Post by Peter Richter » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 am

You can use skin coloured or clear bandaid tape to hold them in place
If you havent actually got it yet - maybe look at headset instead (hooks around both ears)
Peter Richter
Brisbane Audio Services - Sound and Lighting for Any Event
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.brisbaneaudioservices.com.au

MTkid

Post by MTkid » Fri May 10, 2013 7:37 am

When I switched to the countrymen E6 I had problems with the mic working itself off the ear and flopping, some of the speakers and performers were very active/dymamic speakers. The answer was to use clear medical tape and to put a 2 inch piece over the mic wire right behind the ear. It helps to secure the excess cable also, I used to tuck them under collars and under shirts to minimize cable pull, while putting the body pack on their pants at the small of their back. :)
The MTkid
"Slowest Guitar in the West"

95' Foundation Bass
91' Generations S1
99' Predator
??' Raptor Plus
Triumph 120 "Camaro Edition" Head
JSX Mini Colossal
1x12 cab WGS Retro 30
XXX 4x12 Cab
4X12MS Cab

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

Josjor wrote:Try a drywall screw into the cranium. :D
...and here I was going to suggest staples. LoL!!!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:06 am

Forget the head worn strapping around your head and clip a lav to your lip. It will stay great; and once your lip goes numb you won't feel it.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:36 am

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I have bought a stapler, a box of drywall screws, and three rolls of duct tape. I'm ready!!

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:45 am

In all seriousness now....

I have had issues as well. With the AKG head worn that we have the only way out drummer has kept it on during recording sessions is with a pair of headphones holding it on.

They should be able to bend and secure with friction fit, but not always easy to get that to work well.

I remember seeing a Who recording session where the drummer had the headphones gray taped to his head.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...