VCM 3

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
hjamesdj

VCM 3

Post by hjamesdj » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:30 am

Our church's last tech employee bought a VCM 3 but never installed it. I am trying to complete the intention but I get nothing out of the mic (plugged in to a Yamaha 02R96 with phantom power turned on. When I test the mic with a multimeter I get appropriate readings for the mini jack (~0.5 between pins 2 and 3, 1.0 between 1 and 3 and 1 and 2). But when I plug the mini jack into the condenser element and take readings from the full sized XLR pins I get ones all the way around. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? As I said, it was bought new, one to two years ago, and never used till I tried it recently.

What does the condenser element actually do? Phase inversion? Would it only 'come alive' with phantom power supplied? Are there other ways to test the mic?

Thanks,
Henry

studiodtk5

Re: VCM 3

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 pm

I do not have this microphone myself, so I can not perform any tests to compare to your results.

I reviewed the specification sheet. It indicates the impedance as 250 ohms. If you are checking the impedance, the mic appears to be defective.

Have you tried another condenser microphone in the same input to verify the phantom power is active?
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 pm

The cable that comes with the VCM 3 also has the preamp attached, and yes phantom power must be supplied for the mic to work.

hjamesdj

Post by hjamesdj » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks to all who replied. I took the mic into the music store where it was purchased. They tested it and found that the mic was dead while the condenser was still good. Speculates that if was fried by a power surge though, to my knowledge, it was never used.