Guitar Cabinet Mic Test

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
studiodtk5

Guitar Cabinet Mic Test

Post by studiodtk5 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:24 am

So I decided to do some microphone tests with a guitar cabinet. I made the three way pass while testing multiple microphones. The setup was 1972 Gibson SG, Phathead Tube Amp (Marshall hand wire copy), Marshall 412 Cabinet. The microphones approximately 16" in front of the top left speaker on a common stand. The microphones:
1. Shure SM57
2. ElectroVoice 660
3. Peavey PVM45i
4. Peavey PVM45ir
5. ElectroVoice ND478
6. Sennheiser e609 (Blackface, more similar to the current e906)
7. ElectroVoice ND468
8. Peavey DM2
9. Superlux 628MKII
10. ElectroVoice/Blue Raven
11. L.e.Wilson Ribbon
12. Peavey RAB-1 (edit just like RAC-1)

After the complete test the favorites were Peavey PVM45ir, EV/Blue Raven, LEWilson Ribbon.

Maybe not what you would expect. If interested, I will explain more the differences or post up the samples.
Last edited by studiodtk5 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

JoshM

Re: Guitar Cabinet Mic Test

Post by JoshM » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 pm

I am absolutely interested to hear more about your findings. Why did you like these in particular?

How did the RAC-1 fare?
How did the DM2 fare?
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

studiodtk5

Re: Guitar Cabinet Mic Test

Post by studiodtk5 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:58 pm

The Peavey PVM45ir had a nice thickness and grit to it. It translated well what I heard it the room. There was a clarity to it, but not overly bites bright. It worked well on a rhythm guitar.

The Raven had a crustal clear clarity. A nice smooth top end. It let a solo cut through the mix very nice.

The LEWilson Ribbon had a very vintage feel. Nice round full sound with soft edges.

The Peavey ribbon I used was the RAB-1. I have both and don't think there is any difference between. It was super close to the LEWilson ribbon. I would say a razor thin margin between. In the mix if I only had the RAB-1 I would be sad about it at all. That being said I did always give the nod to the Wilson. But the nod was only given, because I had to chose one. I guess I would say the RAB-1 was 97% the same, maybe that is the way to put it.

The DM2 was ok, nothing about it stood out. Much better than an SM57. I will listen to them again and give you a better description later.

I would like to find a way to let you do the listen test as well. Let you decide the mix. Any suggestions how I can do that?
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...