PVM 520I help

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Dad Roadie

PVM 520I help

Post by Dad Roadie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi to all,
Would anyone that has one of the Peavey 520I microphones be willing to take a couple of photos of the bottom of the microphone with the bottom outer screen removed showing the bottom inner screen? I know this is a weird request but I found one of these on the GC USED site and was able to purchase it very reasonably. The unit is suppose to work fine but is missing the bottom outer screen. Peavey no longer carries this part but I believe I can fabricate one. They still carry the inner screen in case thats also missing. It,s my understanding that a pictoral parts list isn,t available. The microphone is on its way and i,m just trying to know what i,m getting myself into. I can return it if it doesnt work out but I have wanted on of these for a long time for our clinics. Any help or photos would be greatly appriecated.
Thanks in advance
dad roadie

studiodtk5

Re: PVM 520I help

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Well I got mine out....but I could not remove the bottom, rear screen.

The front will come off, but the back will not.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Dad Roadie

Post by Dad Roadie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for the reply
I was hoping that the bottom screen assembly just unscrewed off to give access to the bottom. The Peavey engineer I spoke to said the bottom screen was cosmetic in nature and just allowed air to pass though. I would have thought that there still should have been a way to disassemble the microphone since there is a bottom inner screen. If it isn't suppose to ever come off that means probably someone broke it off and the microphone is toast. The microphone is suppose to be delivered on Monday. Ill be curious to see if it works and the bottom inner screen is still there. I know I can return it (GC is very good about that) but I really want it to work.Not worried about making a bottom outer screen ,Ive done that before.
Are there any Peavey techs out there that have very that one of these apart and could offer some advise?
Thanks again to all
dad roadie

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 pm

I tried both the I and the TN series microphones that I have. Neither wanted to come off. I would guess the grill is attached to the microphone shell in such a way that it is not to be removed. The microphone element is in the forward portion. I would agree wit the Peavey tech you spoke with that the rear position is only for rear venting to allow the rejection of the rear portion of the pickup pattern. I doubt the grille being gone would adversely effect the microphone operation.
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 am

I just saw a 520 on REVERB.com that had the front and rear removed. Not sure why, but it looks like both were cut off. Based on what I see and my trial at remove in the rear, I bet the rear was pressed on during the construction. It appears to be just a rear rejection area to create the microphone polar pattern.

Good luck if you want to repair something like that.
Darren

Dad Roadie

Post by Dad Roadie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the heads up on the Reverb photo. Glad to see that mine isn,t missing something major. Mine has a piece of foam in front of that silver plate. It is between the plate and where the screen would go. It appears to be the correct shape and size so.I,m not sure if it,s original or not. Got a chance to talk to Chris and Shannon at Peavey about the microphone and I think they may have found the rear cover! Got it on order. What a great customer service and parts department! If they don,t have it. I,ll go back and try to make one.
Have you had any experence with a Peavey EC10 microphone?Wondering if it is mostly a vocal or instrument microphone. Not sure of the frequency.response. Was wondering if it might be good for recording some of the instruments during the school clinics we have coming up. Any infoformation on thoughts on it would be appriciated!
All the best!
Steve

Dad Roadie

Post by Dad Roadie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi To all,
Just a update. Got the parts from Peavey. Unfortunately the grille wasn,t the correct one so I'm back to square one. If anyone needs a couple of the side grills (the unpainted ones) ,let me know. At least they tried. I have attached photos of the way the microphone is now. The piece of foam installed seems to be the exact size required and has a adhesive, (double sided tape ring) so I'm thinking that part may be original. Right behind this foam is a metal plate that I believe blocks the area behind the side ports. In looking at the photo that was suggested on REVERB (see attached)the plate on mine seems to be in the correct position. The microphone sounds great so I'm believing (hoping)the only thing that may be missing is the metal grill. Could I get some opinions if this setup, the way it is, should be ok to use in an indoor recording atmosphere ? I could make a grille if needed if the forum feels it's needed. Does anyone know anyone that may have ever taken one of these apart for repair? Thanks again for all the help on this .
dad roadie
Attachments
DSCF7119.JPG
DSCF7119.JPG (593.19 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
DSCF7120.JPG
DSCF7120.JPG (576.01 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
peavey 520 rear inner from Reverb.jpg
peavey 520 rear inner from Reverb.jpg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:38 pm

I would use it like it is....The grille on the rear is more decorative anyway.
Darren

CYM

Post by CYM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:54 am

I just registered to say..

I managed to pry the rear grill out of my 520i. Its just a screen. it was a pain to get back in. That may be why it's missing. lol, someone may have got curious and bent the crap out of it trying to smash it back it. You could always try weaving your own from paper clips.

I'll try and think of something your could re-purpose in the mean time.

It seems that this mic all but disappeared from history. I was trying to find some videos, or mentions in magazines. There isn't a hell of a lot.

Dad Roadie

Post by Dad Roadie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! At least I know I'm not missing anything. Sorry about you tearing up your mic. Glad you got the cover back on OK.
I actually ended up taking one of the small replacement earphone pads that come with a lot of the lower cost headsets. I took out the piece of foam that was in the microphone when I got it (see photo, I don't believe it was original ). I found a black earphone foam cup that was just a little bigger than the opening in the bottom of the microphone. I installed it with the part that sits next to the ear facing out and slid it down into the bottom tube opening. A small piece of double sided tape was used as insurance to hold it in but really wasn't needed. It came out looking pretty good and the microphone works great! Since the microphone is only used inside I'm not to worried about having the metal grille. Not to say if I ever find one I would pick it up. Peavey gave up carrying them a long time ago. If anyone would like to see a photo of the finished product just let me know.
Thanks again to all that replied to this and the PVM45 microphone question I posted.
All the Best!
dad roadie