Only one channel on headphone out ?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Eddie Haskell

Only one channel on headphone out ?

Post by Eddie Haskell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm

First of all I just got my 75 and SANPERA 2 and this thing just blows me away I just love it so much. It remindes me of the first time I met my ex wife , hopefully this will stay around a lot longer than she did lol. my question is does the headphone out only come threw in mono as thats all that im hearing is one channel. I bought the whole rig used got a great deal 200 $ it appears to be in brand new condition, I just hoping that I didnt buy someone elses headache. Also can I change the expression pedals assignment my wha pedal is on the left and volume pedal is on right can I switch these around and if so how? I also gotta say this thing puts my podxt live to shame, goodbye line6. And no its not my headphones they work fine on everything else that I use them on. Should I be hearing sound from both headphone speakers or just one when I plug in the headphones because all I can hear is one side of my headphones working, Im just trying to figure out if the headphone out jack is bad on the amp.

Thanx Eddie

Graeme

Re: Only one channel on headphone out ?

Post by Graeme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:21 am

I've never used the headphone out on my Vypyr100, so I'm not sure what the answer is. It may simply be that it only outputs mono (with a mono jack) and you are using stereo cans (with, obviously, a stereo jack plug). No doubt someone else will know the answer to that one.

You can swap the pedals over by going into the Sanpera II calibration mode. The manual (which you obviously don't have, but you can download a copy from the Peavey site) says "To enter calibration mode, press and hold button 15. While holding button 15, momentarily press button 12 to activate Calibration Mode, then simply follow the on-screen instructions."
Graeme

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 am

Thanx for the info I just got this thing last night and havent had much time to figure it out its late here in Kansas City and Im wanting to play threw the headphones as not to wake up half the city.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 am

Mono......

Guitar Amps Are Definitely Mono.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am

Whats the cure, a mono to stereo adapter should do it right?

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 am

How.....?

Amplifier does not have a split for left and right effects / sound.

Stereo is formulated via separate mics and mixing board in studio.

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

So you are telling me that I can only get one channel of audio when I plug my headphones into the headphone out jack and there is no way to get it to make both sides play sound. I only hear one headphone speaker playing when I plug them in. I have a Behringer keyboard amp I plugged the headphones into it and I hear my guitar on both sides so Im starting to think the jack is bad. I gotta tell ya I have been playing since 1975 had more amps than I can remember and cant think of anyone of them that did not play sound threw both of the headphones speakers.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 am

Yes....

Possibly BAD Jack

Both speakers should operate in MONO

You were asking for STEREO

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanx for the info and sorry for the confusion. Do you know if it is a major pain to take the jack out and replace it or fix. Ive only had the amp a couple of days so Im not real in the know about them yet. I bought it used so no warranty coverage, so its going to be a fix it yourself thing. I have fixed amps before so its not that I cant do it, but if its a real pain it might not be worth the trouble. Aside from that little problem I am very happy with this amp, it puts Line6 to shame. I own a podxt live so I can tell you with all honesty not just talking bull on Line6 this thing is far better and easier to set up your tone.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Before you start pulling thing apart, have you tried a stereo to mono converter jack plugJ If the output jack is a mono one (the handbook doesn't say and my amp is not where I am at the moment, so I can't check for myself) then plugging a pair of stereo headphones into it will result in exactly what you are hearing, sound on one side only - convention says the left hand side will work, but not the right

Incidentally, although it's true that guitars and their amplifiers are generally mono (as said earlier) many FX are psuedo stereo, as your line 6 unit was. It would seem that this is not the case with the Vypyr (unless someone knows otherwise).
Graeme

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Thats what I thought to. I have a old 8 channel mixer that I had to do that with so yea Im going to try that first. And I would like to thank you all for the help as I am a newbie. Also the pod acts like a usb sound card as I can play backing tracks on utube threw it and play along cant figure out how to do it with the vyper though as it doesnt show up as a playback device in the control panel on my pc Im running windows7 ultimate 64bit not sure if that has anything to do with it Im using reaper for recording and it sees it only as a input device where as the pod was in and out which is no big deal its just that is the way Im used to doing it, that is one nice thing about the pod is its versatility when it comes to recording

Eddie Haskell

Post by Eddie Haskell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Well I found the adapter that I had on the old mixer and it worked, Im now getting sound threw both sides of headphones now to figure out the other thing. I just want to say thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated

Bodaggit23

Post by Bodaggit23 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 am

My headphone jack outputs sound through both speakers without an adapter.

I think your jack is bad after all, but whatever it takes I guess. :)
Vypyr 75 (1.66) ~ Sanpera II ~ Custom Built Aluminum HM Strat ~ 2 Fender HM Strats

EvilD

Post by EvilD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 am

My headsets have 1/4" pugs so i have to use an adapter, 1 adapter only give me one ear full, the other both ears get sound, I think one adapter is stereo and one is mono.
83 Strat DP 182 and HS3's
Les Pal Prophecy EMG 81/85
Reliced Strat, HS3 and 70's style neck
Charvel Necked Parts O'caster PAF Pro and ???
Kramer acoustic
JAy Turser Tele, reverse 70's strat neck
Epiphone SST Classic
Fender Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

kazak

Post by kazak » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 am

Here is the jack from the schematic. You can see it's a stereo type jack with a left and right signal applied. The left and right signals are probably the same (mono) but a stereo jack.

kazak
Attachments
hp.jpg
hp.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 15555 times