Would you buy a Vypyr again?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings

Would you buy a Vypyr again if you knew what you know about them now?

1. Yes, in a heartbeat.
67%
2. No, I'd buy something else.
12%
3. Maybe. I'd consider it, but I would also check out some other amps first.
21%

Total votes: 118

aizenx

Re: Would you buy a Vypyr again?

Post by aizenx » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm

...couple of reboots but name one computer based product that never has to be rebooted?
Um, how about I name you 5?

Boss GT-10, Digitech GSP 1101, Line 6 PodXT Live, Vox valvetronix amp, and Jeez, even a Behringer v-amp hasn't locked up on me - and that's as cheap as it gets.

All computer-based products, none of which have locked up on me in the past, not once. It CAN be done.

PilotGav

Post by PilotGav » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm

I would NEVER consider buying this amp again.

I prefer an amp that won't LOCK UP on me when I'm in the middle of a gig.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am

Judging by the responses, I would hazard a guess that about 30% have had problems they consider insurmountable. To them I can only say one of 2 things;
1. Get it fixed under warranty and dont be so mad about it.
2. Line 6! Play this for a week and you will yearn for the old locking Vypyr.

Vypyr is simply the best modeling amp on the planet, evidenced by the slew of awards STILL being won by these amps 2 years after debut. Those who have had problems can be mad, but there is no quibbling about the tone. NAMM product of the year TWO YEARS RUNNING!, plus the european award just garnered. Everyone likes the amp except the grumpsters. Sorry for your issues, but the amps rock. Look it up!
Dalrymple
Last edited by dalrymple on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBradshaw

Post by PBradshaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 am

Love my V30. I've had it almost a year now, no lockups, no issues that I've seen on this forum. (yes, I am knocking on my desk at this point)
Great tone, reliable so far, easy to carry around if needed...
No complaints here. :D :D :D

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 pm

I've had my Vypyr 15 for almost 5 months now and have had no problems with it. It amazes me almost every time I play it. If I were to buy another one I would go for a Tube 60. My Vypyr 15 is a backup/practice amp, and while I'm still not ready to make a Vypyr my main or only amp, each month that goes by without incident makes me feel better about the possibility.
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:30 am

I've had my V30 since November 09. It did lock up on me a couple of times in the beginning but it's been flawless the last couple of months. Firmware v1.55. The best piece of equipment I have ever owned. Mind you, I play it almost every day for at least an hour and I still find some new cool tones every time I turn it on. Irreplaceable!
We are all brothers in amps.

guitarman1phil

Post by guitarman1phil » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:15 am

I' m considering buying a vypyr, but i own 2 transformers, never, i mean never had a single problem in 8 years and still going strong. 1 i've gigged with and one is boxed and stored(mint). Why doesn't peavey bring the transformer back?

Dude.Its.Me.

Post by Dude.Its.Me. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Wolf 6 wrote:I checked no but, I would problly buy another one since mine has only had one freeze-up in the year i've had it. And since I dont see it failing anytime soon I dont have to worry about it. However I will be, when I get the $, get a Vox Valvetronix VT30 kind of to compare them and I like the fact that it is tube-driven and and bigger.
I think vox sucks....
"The only real failure in life is the failure to try."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
Vypyr 75 and a Cort..(PRS wanna be) Lol nah. It sounds killer.

rhinoceros

Post by rhinoceros » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 pm

dalrymple wrote: 2. Line 6! Play this for a week and you will yearn for the old locking Vypyr.

Vypyr is simply the best modeling amp on the planet, evidenced by the slew of awards STILL being won by these amps 2 years after debut. Those who have had problems can be mad, but there is no quibbling about the tone. NAMM product of the year TWO YEARS RUNNING!, plus the european award just garnered. Everyone likes the amp except the grumpsters. Sorry for your issues, but the amps rock. Look it up!
Dalrymple
+1

geo

Post by geo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:52 am

would i buy another vypyr again??? hum, probably not. to many problems going on. seems like theres more people with issues than there are folks who are enjoying these static boxes. might be there were just a bunch made and shipped that were a bad batch, so to speak. what i should have done was spend a little more and got a real amp. best sound ive ever had was an old 80s style crate with a basic 505 zoom pedal. this rig would do eddie, george lynch ozzy etc. but, i guess they dont make them like that anymore. this vypyr doesnt sound to bad, when its not a big loud FIZZ box. if it can be fixed and stays fixed, maybe. and just for the record, its had quality guitars played through it, and still FIZZ. peace.

RVM lead

Post by RVM lead » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

I voted yes due to the caveat (if you knew what you know now). I can't be positive yet, as it has only been 3 weeks since I got it. So far, so good....no problems and many great tones.

One of the selling points was the free Sanpera I pedal, which I have not yet received. A lot will depend on how the Sanpera I functions "on-the-fly" during a gig. I have one concern regarding that...latency. I need to see/feel how much it distracts/affects me when switching to a soloing mode.

If this unit (the 75 watt) and Sanpera I prove to be reliable and latency is not overly distracting, It will surely be a great value.

robertmonroe

Post by robertmonroe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I own a tube 60. Yes I would buy again. I love the tone and it has been working great.

d4man

Post by d4man » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:55 am

Hell yeah I would buy the Vypyr again! I've had my Vypyr for a little over a year and sure I've had some lockups here and there but I dont gig and I"ve only been playing guitar for a year and a half. My firmware upgrade went flawless too..and I used the cheap MIDI cable from Amazon.com

twangler

Post by twangler » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I would not buy again, knowing what I know now. I've done all the updates, the noise level is now WORSE, though the lockups are improved. I just can't imagine trusting this thing in a live setting, and yeah, I've had it lock up at gigs. All in all, the level of support Peavey has paid is really disappointing. Months pass by between updates and the improvements are incremental at best. What really pi**es me off is the noise level on clean green tones. Went back to 1.55 and no change. I wish I had never updated versions, because it used to be quieter. Not unlike BP - top kill, junk shot, etc. - this amp should not have left the building until it was ready. I keep it because I can't feel right selling it to someone else, and just use it to play quietly at home.

MaidenFrieak71

Post by MaidenFrieak71 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:28 am

twangler wrote:I would not buy again, knowing what I know now. I've done all the updates, the noise level is now WORSE, though the lockups are improved. I just can't imagine trusting this thing in a live setting, and yeah, I've had it lock up at gigs. All in all, the level of support Peavey has paid is really disappointing. Months pass by between updates and the improvements are incremental at best. What really pi**es me off is the noise level on clean green tones. Went back to 1.55 and no change. I wish I had never updated versions, because it used to be quieter. Not unlike BP - top kill, junk shot, etc. - this amp should not have left the building until it was ready. I keep it because I can't feel right selling it to someone else, and just use it to play quietly at home.
Well said,my thoughts exactly.Peavey has always had a rep for making great solid,Reliable amps till the Vypyr hit the market.Peaveys rep has taken a big hit with all the problems they have had with the vypyrs software issues.If you were new to guitar you would think the vypyr is king of the hill with all the fanboy's constantly praising a crappy unreliable amp :oops: The line 6 doesn't sound as good but they WORK and are reliable which is somthing peavey needs to model after.