Effects Clarification

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
arcticcattom

Effects Clarification

Post by arcticcattom » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm a young and aspiring 17 yr old guitarist and I love my 30 watt Vypyr, however I'm curious about these effects:

Envelope Filter
Ring-Modulator
Auto-Wah
Octaver
MOG

What is a practical use for these?

I think i may just have the effects overpowering the tones of the guitar but in all honesty, seeing that i listen to, and attempt to play everything from Killswitch Engage and All That Remains, to Bob Marley, I can't find any songs where these sort of effects are heard (or at least noticeable to me).

For example, and I apologize if i'm not supposed to request song settings, but the song "Electro Rock" by Sworn (from the guitar hero series of songs) are any of the effects in the amp capable of reproducing this sound? I really wanna try to sound exact to that song, and if it uses any of the effects I listed above it'll help me incorporate them into new songs. Happy Holidays everyone, I hope someone will be able to help with my questions.

P.s. if anyone has any settings for the Electro Rock song please share if you wouldn't mind. I know of numerous people asides myself whom are looking for setting suggestions to sound like that song.

Thanks Again! :D
And if you wanna be really helpful suggest some songs that have these effects in them for me to listen to, and possibly learn.
Rock out with my Guitar out.

InfiniteBlue

Re: Effects Clarification

Post by InfiniteBlue » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I'll answer what I can here, anyone else please feel free to correct/ elaborate:

Envelope Filter: In practical terms, this is a more subtle, less pronounced auto-wah effect.

Ring Modulator: If you haven't already, try it on a clean setting, because it's pretty much impossible to hear with any kind of distortion. As far as practical use...well, the preset database at vypyrsettings.tk currently has 371 user-submitted presets, and the only one that uses Ring Modulator is

http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choi ... le=&ordre=

That one. A setting that's MEANT to sound like crap. I think that speaks for itself. Probably the prime candidate to be replaced on the next generation of Vypyrs.

Auto-wah: Emulates the sound you get from a wah pedal. parameters adjust the level of depth the wah goes to. Picking harder is equivalent to pressing the pedal further down.

Octaver: Generates a sound one octave lower than the note you're currently playing.

MOG: Abbrevation for "Monophonic Octave Generator", this is a proprietary Peavey effect. Like the Octaver, it generates a signal one octave lower than what you're playing, but it also generates a sound one octave higher as well. It's worth noting that for some reason, the MOG tends to track your playing and emulate quite a bit more accurately than the octaver, which sometimes feels delayed.
Gear: Laguna LE200, Peavey Vypyr 30

arcticcattom

Post by arcticcattom » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm

I have a good idea what the Octaver and MOG do and how useless they are, i was just curious to hear what someone else would say. I'm more interested in the use rather than the function. How about the settings for Electro Rock by Sworn from guitar hero? anyone have any ideas?

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:16 pm

octavers arent totally useless. cky uses it alot. i happen to have a octaver pedal aside from my vypyr which i got from my couzin who deff was a cky fan lol but yeah i never use it just saying it CAN be used. mog is better too
[Peavey 6505+ stack - Toaster Mod 15chEQ in loop]
[1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - silverburst]
[ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - EMG 81/60 - 18v Mod]
[Parker PDF30]
[Ibanez Artcore Deluxe - Natural]

arcticcattom

Post by arcticcattom » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:42 pm

That's weird that you posted that because I just listened to a cKy song, and low and behold I heard an octaver. Although I find I still have no use for it, and I dislike how Peavey© put not only 1 Ocavation device, but two. And the second one they created lol

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah it would have been cool to have more that were sposed to model a certain pedal like the amps
[Peavey 6505+ stack - Toaster Mod 15chEQ in loop]
[1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - silverburst]
[ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - EMG 81/60 - 18v Mod]
[Parker PDF30]
[Ibanez Artcore Deluxe - Natural]

Veracity

Post by Veracity » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 am

The Octaver is really good for the solo on Fool in the Rain - Page uses one on that solo. So there's a practical application.

Another use for it I found is to turn it into a kind of chord maker. I fiddled with the settings and locked in one that plays the 3rd of whatever note I'm playing and another that plays the 5th. That second setting turns every note into a power chord.

arcticcattom

Post by arcticcattom » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:08 am

Veracity wrote:The Octaver is really good for the solo on Fool in the Rain - Page uses one on that solo. So there's a practical application.

Another use for it I found is to turn it into a kind of chord maker. I fiddled with the settings and locked in one that plays the 3rd of whatever note I'm playing and another that plays the 5th. That second setting turns every note into a power chord.
Could you specify exact details? Which one, the stompbox "MOG" or the rack effect? I'd appreciate it alot to know. I play a ton of rock that uses power chords.

Veracity

Post by Veracity » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 pm

My amp is in the shop so I'm just going from memory but ... I went into edit mode on the octaver and adjusted the knob that affects the pitch until I got to the 5th then locked it in.