Tube 120 big bottle upgrade (KT66)

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
LORDDiESEL

Tube 120 big bottle upgrade (KT66)

Post by LORDDiESEL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:50 am

As we all know, you cannot fit big tubes in the 120 as the sockets are too close together and the bottles will touch.

This is how to mod the chassis (move two sockets) and wire them back up.

The short.

1 unsolder one plug from each side of the amp.

2 drill two new holes for plug relocation.

3 solder eight wires into the board where the old plugs came out of.

4 solder those eight wires to the sockets in their new location.

5 put the new tubes in.

6 crank it up and enjoy.

leopaul

Re: Tube 120 big bottle upgrade (KT66)

Post by leopaul » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 am

Such a clean mod. Thanks for the pictures, can't wait to try this. Enjoy your new amp.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 am

CharlieP LUV Photo's of VK Innards !

CharlieP U Readin' Forum Today ?

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

LORDDiESEL

Post by LORDDiESEL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Guys, i'm blown away with the tone coming out of this amp now. Every amp channel sounds 100 times better. I could never go back to the 6L6's. They just don't have the balls or tone.

This is the god mod for this amp.

cracklefracture

Post by cracklefracture » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks for the images. I've got GAS burning in me for this. Great job.
VypyrT120head

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 am

If I had a 120 I would certainly go for this. I cant stand 6L6's, and have never owned an amp that had to run them in over 40 years. Too piercing, not what I want to hear at any level. My VK112 and Tube 60 all run KT66's. The VK212 may be the exception, but it only got played outdoors a few times, then sold off once the Vypyr 60 happened. KT66's make all the difference.
I bet the etched glass on the Gold Lions enhances the mids! lol. Great pics.
Now you need one of my tolex jobs so the outside is as hot as the inside.
Dalrymple

leopaul

Post by leopaul » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Maybe want to put the fangs back on, now it has a big bite? LOL

guitarman1phil

Post by guitarman1phil » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 pm

great job

Phil

season_of_ages

Post by season_of_ages » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Is there a way to get the pictures to work? I'd like to try this mod myself!

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 am

I'd love to see those pics myself. How have the Gold Lions performed over time? Does the amp like them?
Dalrymple

season_of_ages

Post by season_of_ages » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:26 pm

So I went ahead and purchased a Chinese set of KT66 tubes since they were 'alleged' to be smaller and thus fit the 120. Well of course the bottles slightly touch. I purchased some tube socket savers which I'm sure isn't recommended in running the amp but I had to hear what all the fuss is about.

My question is, what are the consequences of using 2 pairs of tube socket savers in my amp?

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 am

What does the socket saver do? how can it help get em in there?
The Gold Lions state a max diameter of 53mm on their data sheet. Of course nobody else mentions it. Any way you can measure yours to see if they're more than 53mm? Maybe Gold Lions fit?

I bought a Tube 120 head a few months back, with a set of 6L6's in it, probably stock. Though I would have preferred to slip in a set of KT66's, the 6L6's sound phenomenal. The amp is a tone monster. I use a 212 cab with an Eminence Governor and the higher power Peavey Vypyr speaker found in the 120 combo. The amp has more punch than George Foreman in his 20's. Simply crushingly powerful bottom end with the little gap-reducing panel inserted in the open back. Overdrive is other-worldly. I am in awe, using it occasionally in my garage mostly, but playing clean tones on this amp is a transformative experience compared to other Vypyrs. I love my 60, but this is so much more than twice the amp it cannot be described, only experienced. I am smitten, and occasionally slightly deafened, in a good way. Paired with my LP, I am certain I've got something you dont.

That said, the additional presence and less piercing highs KT66's would introduce is very seductive. If only a set would fit without a BS modification required. If you find a set, let us know.
Dalrymple

Still working on the badge.
Attachments
DSCN2217.JPG
DSCN2217.JPG (894.07 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
DSCN2219.JPG
DSCN2219.JPG (866.9 KiB) Viewed 7830 times

season_of_ages

Post by season_of_ages » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 pm

So I've been trying to upload photos from my phone for awhile now and I'm having issues. I've jumped on my laptop to show you what the tube saver sockets are and how they look fitted with the KT66 tubes. I sometimes hear scratching sounds, Idk if that's because of the extended travel of electricity through the tube savers, but overall I'm quite happy being able to use the KT66's. I tried out a set of 6l6WGC tubes last night (without the tube socket savers) just to compare sound and to see if I can give up the tube socket savers as I'm sure I read somewhere they're not recommended for running fulltime, but the KT66 sound amazing! I can't go back. Eventually, I'll have the tube sockets modified to properly fit the KT66's.

Anyway, here's a pic of the setup. The bottles clear each other.
KT66 Tube Saver Sockets.jpg
KT66 Tube Saver Sockets.jpg (250.86 KiB) Viewed 7806 times

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:12 am

Wow. Looks a tad awkward, but it works. I like it. So where did you get the socket savers? Looks like you have 2 of them in each socket? Why might they present a problem? Heat, or some electrical bs? I dont dig awkward, but I may have to try this out. The mod done right would look better, but I really dont want to do the mod thing because I dont trust anyone I know to do it right, and dont think I want to mess with it myself. I know the dif they make in the 60, so the result must be jaw dropping, and not going back seems right. I could never go 6l6's in my 60. I also doubt I have enuf clearance inside the tighter head cab to drop a tube down that far.

As for the scratching noises, listen carefully to them. My 60 started picking up some broadcast, but it sounded like tube scratchiness at first. Listening more closely, I heard cadence in the scratches, like a radio station coming thru and interfering. Annoying, but not an issue once you start to play. None of my other amps do it, including the big boy, thankfully.

Hmmmm.
Dalrymple

season_of_ages

Post by season_of_ages » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:47 pm

I found these particular tube socket savers on ebay. The private seller had 5 left, and I ordered all 5. They usually sell for $10 or more each, but this particular listing had them at $5 each. What a steal! And sure, I suppose they are a little awkward but I don't really see or deal with them since they are facing away from me.

According to a page online, "Two more sets of contacts for signal and everything else to go through, probably not the best thought for long term reliability, HF stability or sound." I have a feeling that may be the cause of the scratchy noises I heard. After I started playing, however, I didn't hear the unwanted noise anymore.

So I've decided to rock this setup until I eventually tackle the mod. I may even attempt it myself! It's too bad the pictures are not working in this thread. I would really love a reference of the work.

Lately I've been watching this tech on YouTube who posts videos on tube amp repair and modification. It's kinda giving me the confidence to try my hand at soldering! Here's a link to his channel in case you had some time and might be interested in seeing some of his work.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dlab500