Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Hydraxis

Re: Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

Post by Hydraxis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm

This is real moody tone I use for blues and noodling. It's got high sustain and a great dark tone. I play it on the the neck for more warmth and depth.

Amp: Red TWN
Stompbox: SQUEEZE
P1: 7
P2: 4.5
FX: Rotary Speaker
P1: 2
P2: 1.5
Delay: 2.5, 3.5
reverb: Adjust to taste, min works for me.
Pre Gain: Max
Low: 6.5
Mid: 3.75
High: 4
Post Gain: 4
*2001 American Series Double Fat Strat
*Peavey 5150 212 Combo
*Peavey Vypyr 75
*Squire Standard Double Fat Strat - Satin Black
*Johnson J-Station

DirtyD

Post by DirtyD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 am

A generic clean:

Amp: Twn, Green
FX: Chorus ON, 1, 1
Delay 1, 1
Reverb 5.5
Pre Gain: Max
Low 5
Mid 5.25
High 4.75
Post Gain 2.5

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

I've got this great Steve hillage type rhythm sound that souts open chord arpeggio type playing, basically using:
clean sound (brit is favoured)
with mid eq (set to around 12 o clock)
stomp on bypass or light ananlog phase
rack on pitch shift 3-4/5-6
delay feedback 2
delay level 2
reverb 2-3
Great to do some maj/min 7 arpeggios and loop them then you can noodle all over the loop into the early hours and relive your student hippie days.
:)

JB/PG

Post by JB/PG » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Hey everybody, these settings all sound really good, this was a great idea for a thread.
I was wondering if anyone had gotten close to a Jason Becker tone?? Like on Opus Pocus or altitudes? I love this tone and cant seem to get it right. I would appreciate any help

Thanks

Hydraxis

Post by Hydraxis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Song or Artist: Foo Fighters - Everlong
Song is in Drop D, play on the neck pickup.

Stompbox: None
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: REC Red
Effects: None
Delay: 1.5/1.5
Reverb: None
Pre-Gain: 3
Low: 3.5
Mid: 6
High: 4
Post Gain: 4

Looking for S.O.D. and D.R.I. tones if anyone can dial them in.
*Peavey 5150 212 Combo
*Peavey Vypyr 75
*Johnson J-Station

twangler

Post by twangler » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm

I've always been after an overdriven Leslie tone in the vein of Badfinger's No Matter What, or Cream's Badge, or Blind Faith's Presence of the Lord. And I think I've stumbled onto it. Oddly enough, it doesn't call for the rotary. See what you think of this:

Stompbox - Analog Flange
P1 3.00; P2 4.75

Amp - JSX Green
Pre-Gain 1.00, Low 3.50, Mid 3.00, High 3.50, Post-Gain 5.25

Effects - Bypass

Power Sponge (if you have it) - full clockwise

I know these guys were uising Leslie's but I've never been able to get much use from the Rotary effect, unless you're after a much faster SRV type of Leslie warble.

Hope some of you find this useful!

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:00 pm

justinhorne wrote:One more bump for the John Mayer/Slow Dancing in a Burning Room tone please?
Thanks guys.
Been listening to the track, sounds to me like a strat neck pickup and something like a classic on green, no effects, just set pre and post gains so its at the point of starting to break up. Keep the eq on the bassy side with a bit of mid scoop and you should be pretty close. A touch of echo, a touch of reverb. Its a nice warm valvey sound but Mayer has such a great touch on the guitar.

Hydraxis

Post by Hydraxis » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:14 am

Castiel wrote:still trying to find some good metalcore/hardcore-ish tones from bands that dont even classify themselves as those genres :P

Aka, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold
The amp has limitations. It CAN get you into the ballpark, but a lot of signature tones CAN'T be dialed in. Disturbed is probably hot pickups on a detuned 7 string guitar and hi-gain amp with a boost in front.

A lot of the sounds I am after require a real Tube Screamer to get the tone. The stompbox model can't come close and is really only an overdrive boost with the limited setting you can adjust. Whether or not a real tube screamer is going to get the sound with THIS amp is something I don't have have the ability to test.

Other tones I seek come from bands running one amp into another. Yet one more thing this amp can't do.

I'm still just starting to scratch the surface for tones...
Last edited by Hydraxis on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Peavey 5150 212 Combo
*Peavey Vypyr 75
*Johnson J-Station

Castiel

Post by Castiel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Hydraxis wrote:
Castiel wrote:still trying to find some good metalcore/hardcore-ish tones from bands that dont even classify themselves as those genres :P

Aka, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold
The amp has limitations. It CAN get you into the ballpark, but a lot of signature tones CAN'T be dialed in. Disturbed is probably hot pickups on a detuned 7 string guitar and hi-gain amp with a boost in front.

A lot of the sounds I am after require a real Tube Screamer to get the tone. The stompbox model can't come close and is really only an overdrive boost with the limited setting you can adjust. Whether or not a real tube screamer is going to get the sound with THIS amp is something I don't have have the ability to test.

Other tones I seek come from bands running one amp into another. Yet one more thing this amp can't do.

I'm still just starting to scratch the surface for tones...
i know that, i have a tubescreamer, a bad monkey, a mxr 10band eq that I can use(wish i had an fx loop)

Guess i'll look up sig artist amps/tone settings and try that as a start.
Already have hot pickups and detuned gutiars w/ heavy strings.
Disturbed , Killswitch, and Bullet for my valentine is drop C, A7x is drop D.

Terbo

Post by Terbo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Castiel wrote:Guess i'll look up sig artist amps/tone settings and try that as a start.
Already have hot pickups and detuned gutiars w/ heavy strings.
Disturbed , Killswitch, and Bullet for my valentine is drop C, A7x is drop D.
Mastodon drops their guitars down a full step, then drops the low E (now a D) to an A. :shock:
-Brett

\m/ Main Gear \m/
Ibanez RG321MH #2 w/DiMarzios
Peavey Vypyr 30 - Fangless

Dave_LP

Post by Dave_LP » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:48 am

There are a lot of recorded sounds that will be hard to duplicate, even if you have the same amp as the artist. You can't usually crank the amp up to stage volumes in your home to experiment (unless the family is out of town and the neighbors don't complain). So, what you create in your bedroom won't sound the same in a performance venue.

Lots of recorded tones are done using a variety of amp combinations and in some cases, multiple amps. ZZ top: Billy Gibbons talks about an "amp cabin" that they use in the studio. It's a stack of small combo amps aranged in a square , facing in toward each other, with others stacked on top to make a square chimney. They close the chimney with another combo placed on top, facing down! The mic goes in the middle.

If you have created a tone that sounds good, use it. It's non-productive to diss an amp because it can't nail your favorite artist for under $400. The Vypyrs are the best hybrid amps I've seen. They blow away Roland Cube 60, Vox Valvetronics, and Line 6. I've owned all three and still own the first two. BTW, Vypyr runs rings around the Marshall 8040 I sold when I bought the Cube.

Most of the tone that you create comes from right hand technique. Muting, pick angle, rakes, pick harmonics, and, yes, even the pick that you use contribute greatly to the tone you get. Beyond that, you can't get a humbucker sound from a Strat and you can't get a single coil sound from a Les Paul, unless you re-wire for split coil operation. Even then, you won't sound like Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, Slash, or SRV unless you have the chops.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:13 am

+1 I'm afraid - like to have a play with a load of other settings people have found work well for them. I'm getting all the good ones together on a spreadsheet for general release on this thread once we get a decent few posted up.
C'mon, post your favourite settings and a brief description! I can then put together a similar style pdf to the Spider for anyone that finds it useful.
{edit]Here's a jpg of the template to be used.

JerDix

Let's rock: AC/DC

Post by JerDix » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:27 pm

stomp: bypass
amp : "XXX" red channel
effects: bypass
pre gain: 4 (noon)
low: 3,25
mid: 2,5
high: 4
post gain: 5,5
VYPYR 30 - Sanpera-I - Fender Strat 1977 - Epiphone SG - Pignose :-)

firemansim

Vyper Settings - visual document

Post by firemansim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks to the template from Big Al, I've set many of the posted settings up in a PDF document for your viewing pleasure. Some of the data was missing so I left it blank or guessed. The amp arrow is colored red or green and I'm using the 1-7 numbering scheme.

Let me know if you'd like additional ones added, or have changes.

FiremanSim
Vypyr 60
Gibson Les Paul 25/50
Attachments
Vypyr Settings Mapping.pdf
PDF of Different settings
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 4162 times

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Great work! thx for posting :)
Heres some cleaner sounds, where the p1 & 2 knobs have both red and green numbers, it means theres a stompbox as well as a rack effect used - the red numbers are the stompbox settings and the green are for the rack effect. I'm using a PRS Custom 24 for these settings, mainly off the neck humbucker or neck + bridge combined.
Attachments
v2.jpg
v2.jpg (352.78 KiB) Viewed 31447 times