My VIP2 powers down when I try and use the tuner

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
TMayer

My VIP2 powers down when I try and use the tuner

Post by TMayer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 am

Just got the VIP2 and was playing around with the features. When I tried to access the tuner function (press the amp button for 2 seconds to activate) the unit powered down. Am I using the function correctly or is there something wrong with the amp? The amps control/function seems to work fine but when I press the button down for the longer time to access tuning it shuts down.

Classic30inCincy

Re: My VIP2 powers down when I try and use the tuner

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Roger Crimm (Forum Moderator) added post w/PDF regarding Vypyr VIP.

Check "pdf" to see if it answers your question.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

TMayer

Post by TMayer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:09 pm

I did go over the PDF a couple of times. I'm pretty sure all the info it gives is how to operate the function. I will try again though. Thanks

alienux

Post by alienux » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:21 pm

My VIP 2 definitely does not do what you described. I've used the tuner 2 times since I bought it. I just press the knob for a couple of seconds and it goes into tuning mode with no issues.

deuterium

Post by deuterium » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm

I concur with Alienux. My VIP 3 tuner function operates as described in the manual. So, Tmayer, you may have a unit with a glitch. I would definitely contact Peavey technical support, or depending on the company that sold you your unit, and if you are in the exchange "window", you might want to return unit for a new, replacement unit.

woolyninja

Post by woolyninja » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm

When in "tuner" mode the amp will not output normally. It basically mutes the sounds coming out of the speaker. If you play a string on the guitar do lights not light up on a couple of the knobs on the amp?

TMayer

Post by TMayer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone. Apparently, I am a slow learner but I got it. Happy me. Maybe that was the problem.

deuterium

Post by deuterium » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

woolyninja wrote:When in "tuner" mode the amp will not output normally. It basically mutes the sounds coming out of the speaker. If you play a string on the guitar do lights not light up on a couple of the knobs on the amp?
Good call Woolyninja. When I read TMayer's post, I took it literally when he stated that the "unit powered down"...in other words, I thought the amp was completely shutting off. I didn't stop to think that someone new to these amps might mistake the mute function of the Tuner as having the amp suddenly (and inexplicably) shut off.

Tmayer: I am glad that all things are well with your VIP 2.

I was about to say that this also might be a good lesson (for all of us) that reading the Instruction Manual carefully is always a good policy. However, I just double-checked the Manual...and when it discusses the Tuner function, I could not find anywhere it states that the Amp will also mute when this function is active. The only reason I didn't even blink, when first using the Tuner, was because I was familiar with this type of response on not only my original Vypyr, but on previous digital modeling amps. However, someone new to these types of gizmos, I can see how this would be completely unexpected...especially when (as far as I can tell) the User Manual makes no mention of the fact that the amp will suddenly Mute all sound. I think Peavey needs to quickly make a revision to the VIP manual, to clearly explain this to new owners.

esquire.turf

Post by esquire.turf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

mine also seems to shut down. no lights, no tuner, no nothing until i press the button again and it resumes normal function. how did you fix it

skypeace

Post by skypeace » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:09 pm

He didn't have to fix it. I just had the same issue, called tech support because I thought the amp had powered down, but when you press and hold for 2 seconds and it seems like it has powered down, just play a string and the tuner functions will light up.

I felt kind of dumb, because I was about to send the amp back as I have only had it for 3 weeks.

It is a good point that the manual doesn't describe this in detail. Go figure.