Vypyr Vip Pro's and Con's

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
zHi5k0

Re: Vypyr Vip Pro's and Con's

Post by zHi5k0 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:38 pm

The most anoying con I found is the input sound from my phone using the aux in.The sound is very poor compared to my VOX MIni5. This aux in adds a lot of noise also.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:28 am

bought a mint VIP1 for $50 on CL ... trying to figure out if i should keep that, or the Vypyr30 as a second "downstairs" amp.

will give the other one to my brother ...

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Landshark wrote:bought a mint VIP1 for $50 on CL ... trying to figure out if i should keep that, or the Vypyr30 as a second "downstairs" amp.

will give the other one to my brother ...
It depends on which amp has the most features you like. Both amps has features of their own like 3 channels for each amp modal on the vip 1, more amp modals on the vypyr30. effects encoder on the 30 but not on the vip 1 how ever the vip 1 has more stumps then the vypyr30. Me, I would keep both.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

sjdibaise

Post by sjdibaise » Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks for the info! I am new to the vypyr 3, but have been playing professionally for 35 years. I bought it for all the presets and supposed versatility, but found the amp very shrill, and the noise gate is terrible! Also, has anyone else noticed that it goes into "standby" if you don't play thru it for a while? I use a GR-55 on the side, so when I come back to the vypyr, it's "off" for a few seconds, then mysteriously comes back on! channel switching has a huge delay, like you stated.

I have downloaded all the "extra" software, and have yet to really dig in and work on the eq some more.. hoping you fellow veteran players can shoot me some hints (other than just "get rid of it" ha ha) I wanna give this thing a fair shot, but I come from a line of family musicians, where my father used a Fender Bandmaster head, I later I used a PV 5150, and AC30's.. this, that, whatever.. now down to THIS thing.. would be great if I can get her dialed in better!

Cheers,

-Sam - Omaha NE.

www.facebook.com/the70sband

beowulf1960

Post by beowulf1960 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 pm

I have the Vypyr VIP-1. Got it about 10 months ago.

Pros:
Good selection of amps, most are pretty good.
Decent selection of stompboxes, again, most are pretty good.
Works well with most of the DAW's I have tried. The USB interface is well done.
Value. For the price, a very decent amp.

Cons:
Software. The latest firmware version is 1.6.2. The Edit program is 1.0. There haven't been any updates in nearly 4 years. When can we expect updates, or is Peavey not going to update the firmware or Edit program?
Fuzz stomp. Fuzz is grayed out. Is it possible to activate it? Why is it present but unusable?
Volume. It's very loud up to 2. Then at about 3 or 4, it doesn't really change all that much and is not really usable. Not that I am going to set it higher than 2, it is, as I said, very loud.
Looper. The ability to access the looper is active only with a Sanpera footswitch. I would greatly encourage Peavey to enable compatibility with other MIDI footswitches.
Clean channels have an extremely low volume and are very difficult to work with, however, I can compensate somewhat with my DAW (I primarily use Garage Band, although I have others available if I want).