Vypyr Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Gurutweak

Re: Vypyr Pro

Post by Gurutweak » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

tiger j wrote:
Have you looked at Willy Booger's review on YouTube?
I've had the amp and the pedal for a few months now. Mostly pleased with the tones. Definitely the best modelling amp I have ever played.
I have compared the clean sounds to my '94 Fender Blues DeLuxe and must say Peavey holds it's own next to it. So the Fender goes to the ebay.
Not quite the case with my other amps.
Here are a few things that could be improved on the Vypyr:

Between clean and dirty models of a given amp (true in many cases but not for all) there's a gain "gap"; the clean version doesn't quite reach up to that juicy, edgy, lightly overdriven tone, and the dirty one starts too overdriven. In between those 2 points is where a lot of very useful tones live.

Some models deviate A LOT from their originals: one of the most glaring ones is the Hiwatt dirty. Even with the gain dimed, you can hardly get out of it a pinch of that spank that Hiwatt is known for. The opposite is true for the AC30 (Brit.30 or whatever the name). The dirty version starts WAY too saturated. You can't get this much dirt out of the original (I had a 1966 Jennings Vox AC30 that I sold for a lot of money). The clean version can't get you any overdrive, at least not with a strat. So again a big gain gap, uncovered.

I'll give more examples as they come up.

ltroutman

Post by ltroutman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I have found this also to be true and is rather frustrating. The best solution so far for me is to blend and clean and dirty amp of the same type but this still isn't the correct sound. Overall I like the amp though.

emsrebel

Post by emsrebel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Can anything be done by way of firmware update to improve the tuning function of the amp? Not to be mean, but the tuner on my amp really doesn't work all that well.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

emsrebel wrote:Can anything be done by way of firmware update to improve the tuning function of the amp? Not to be mean, but the tuner on my amp really doesn't work all that well.
I don't own the Pro, yet I have the VIP2.

I experience similar things with my VIP2. One would think, just a simple update would improve the quality and enjoyment of your
playing by a thousand percent, yet no update.

My issue is with most effects being too strong and no control of my noise gate. I by no way means am bashing the Vypyr line. Just frustrated
with something that at the core just RAWKS :!:

IMO, Peavey owns the Tone at this price point with this type of gear. Now, if they would just support it with more heart...... :wink:

In case you don't receive the reply you hoped for.

If this helps any, with my noise gate issue, I found if I do not use the reverb on the amp at all, the sound of the noise gate turning on as the sound fades is greatly diminished. I have resorted to using a reverb pedal in front of the amp with limited, but better success.

My point is, you might have to use a tuner pedal in front of your amp. It should not have to be... the choice now, is the glass half full or half empty...

Enjoy what the amp gives you, adjust to the rest.
I hope this helps you.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:01 pm

emsrebel wrote:Can anything be done by way of firmware update to improve the tuning function of the amp? Not to be mean, but the tuner on my amp really doesn't work all that well.
tuner is garbage, modulation effects are garbage, and the "instrument" modules are novelty.

the amp tones are great, and that's why i have it. worth the money for those, IMHO. yeah it would be nice if the amp could do it all in one box ... if the tuner wasnt crap and the mod effects didnt sound like a sci-fi movie ...

i have a TC Electronics Polytune (awesome), and Digitech unit to handle the effects. still pleased with the amp tones and "feel".

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

After about a year and a half, still loving the amp. The bad points are still there, and I wonder why Peavey doesn't get around to fixing them!? or have they abandoned this project?
The overdrive and distortion stomp boxes are pretty much all a disaster (maybe except the EH Big Muff that is useable for "American Woman" type of tones). Why try and emulate the usual suspects when there are so many excellent new OD/Dist stomp boxes out there?

The strength of this amp is combining those amp models that work together (although a lot of combinations result in an ugly comb filter sound, probably due to the digital delay due to different processing times of models)

I've gotten a ton of amazing and very credible lightly overdriven, blues type sounds, also many classic rock sounds and clean funk and jazz type tones.
This is what I was not sure about right after purchasing the amp since the factory bank is horrible. But after a lot of tweaking, I'm much happier now.
When one gets into a high gain territory, things get way more grainy, plasticky and harsh. Although I don't gravitate towards those type of sound much, it would be nice to address them.

I also find the USB recording output to be much harsher than what's coming out of the speaker. So best to mike the amp when recording.
Tuner only does 440Hz and I like a lower 432Hz tuning.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am

Gurutweak wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm
The bad points are still there, and I wonder why Peavey doesn't get around to fixing them!? or have they abandoned this project?

This amp was abandoned 15 minutes after it was released. I wasn't surprised, because i've also owned Digitech products before.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 am

They have moved on. We should too. So, where are we going next Peavey? I'm still looking for my next gen wonder.
Dalrymple