Vypyr Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Lord High Warlock

Re: Vypyr Pro

Post by Lord High Warlock » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:38 am

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

Last night, I'm lost in whatever I was playing when the missus opens the doors and tells me that some friends are here (based on our "security alarm" dog barking her head off). So I mute the volume and put down my Les Paul...without turning the amp off.

Turns out our pooch was barking at some deer, so I head back to my little music room to continue playin' around.

I grab my LP, and note the sound is still off. OK, I check the volume knobs on the LP and they're at 6. Check "Stand By" mode on the amp...it's not on. Now I'm getting worried.

So, I reboot the amp, and STILL no sound. I'm on the verge of cussing up a storm, wondering what in the blazes has gone wrong now when I glance down at the Sanpera Pro. No, it couldn't be THAT simple...I tap the Volume Pedal, and viola! I have sound.

I felt like such an idiot. I definitely need to work on those "user errors." LOL
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute
2015 Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Pro w/ Sanpera Pro
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 am

Download the new version of the OS (version 6.99) and it has corrected for those type errors, bypassing the pre amp and guitarist and substituting something appropriate and tasteful. "We are in control of the Horizontal, We control the vertical..."
Resistance is futile. Vyp on!
Dalrymple

otter5555

Post by otter5555 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:25 pm

i am completely blown away by the lack of interest in this amp.

basically zero videos other than peaveys insturctional vids

i cant find ANY reviews by ANY of the magazines that normally test/review EVERY amp that is introduced.

i bought mine sight unseen and am amazed at the build quality and versatility of this amp.

i am a tube amp snob but could always get a really nice tone out of any cheap vypyr. most of the other modelers i have owned (many costing several times the cost of the vypyr pro) have kept me plugged into my tube amps.

not the vypyr pro.

i 've owned it for a month and have plugged into none of my tube amps since it arrived.

i dont plug into my 6505+ because the pro sounds 99% as good at ANY volume.
i dont plug into my dual recto for the same reason
i dont plug into any of my old marshalls.....for the same reason

the pro is 99% there and for me that's close enough.

so, if anyone is on the fence about this amp, jump off the fence :)

it is the real deal

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51 pm

I treasure my Peaveys, but let's face it: marketing has never been the company's strong suit.

Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:30 am

The long delay from the initial NAMM announcement really hurt this amp...the crowd was there, wanting it, but delay after delay killed so much interest that when it finally came out, many people had already moved on to something else. Let's face it, the general populace have a short attention span, so the delay really killed interest in this amp.

As for the marketing, it reminds me of what happened with IBM and OS/2 Warp...Warp was a superior operating system over Windows 95, but IBM didn't know how to properly market it. They were used to dealing with corporations, not people. And MS fed the people what they wanted to see and hear, and the rest is history. Very similar story of the superior Beta Max losing to VHS.

Still, with as solid of a product as it is, if Peavey would invest a bit more in a new marketing plan, they SHOULD be able to regenerate some interest in it. It'll all depend on who's in charge of it, though, and how much they feel it's worth investing in...for all we know, upper management has already decided to cut its losses and move on to the next big thing...
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute
2015 Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Pro w/ Sanpera Pro
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:45 am

If history is any guide, they have already moved on to the next big thing, perhaps the kemperesque vision talked about by Hartley in one of the interviews he did.

After the intro of the original Vypyr, with any bugs it had, they did some firmware updates then moved on and stopped working on improving what was. These computer based amps are inherently complex and glitchy. Some glitches can be resolved simply and quickly. Others never will, as the company begins moving resources to new projects.

When a $200 Vypyr 30 was glitchy, well, it was only a $200 amp with a zillion features that sounded great but wasnt perfect. A lot of users felt abandoned when updates weren't forthcoming.

At $600 for the pro, expectations should be a lot higher. Still havent seen a single one in the real world. Like the man said, no real buzz from any level of players. Gotta wonder how many are actually moving. Hell, if they dont sell, how am I gonna snag one cheap used?
Dalrymple

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Well, a couple months ago I was having problems with my Vypyr Pro. The XLR output developed a hum or a buzz when plugged into my monitor or into my band's PA system. My tech (authorized Peavey repair shop) just called me and let me know that Peavey's technical team said I should use a two prong adapter on the power cord of the amp. Also a two prong adapter on the PA power amp would work, too, as an alternative. My tech tested it and it works.

Is this even safe???? I can't ask my drummer (owns the PA) to use a two prong adapter for his PA. Also, this problem was not present when I first got the amp. It developed a couple months after I bought the amp. Obviously something is wrong with the amp, and I appreciate an easy work-around, but something doesn't feel right about this.

What do you guys think?

thunda

Post by thunda » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:08 pm

by using the two pronged adapter, your amp will still be grounded as the neutral (larger blade on the adapter) is tied(bonded) to the ground in all modern electrical systems since the '70s at least. Sounds like there is a ground loop problem with the XLR and using the adapter will help alleviate this problem. It should also eliminate the need for the PA to use an adapter as well, but I can't be sure...worth a try with your amp though, won't hurt anything and you will still be grounded.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

thunda wrote:by using the two pronged adapter, your amp will still be grounded as the neutral (larger blade on the adapter) is tied(bonded) to the ground in all modern electrical systems since the '70s at least. Sounds like there is a ground loop problem with the XLR and using the adapter will help alleviate this problem. It should also eliminate the need for the PA to use an adapter as well, but I can't be sure...worth a try with your amp though, won't hurt anything and you will still be grounded.
Thanks for the response... that's good to know. The tech said that I would only need the adapter on the amp OR the PA... not both.

edwb

Post by edwb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 am

Rocco Crocco wrote: What do you guys think?
I'd rather see an internal amp fix.
Maybe with usage the jack is now making contact to the chassis ground when it didn't before.
You can't guarantee that some other venue you go to perform at isn't mis-wired with its power distribution.
Personally I think asking you to use a 3-prong to 2 prong adapter on the amp is a lame way to repair what is
most likely an input jack and circuitry issue. I wouldn't ever consider it for the PA.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:38 pm

edwb wrote:
Rocco Crocco wrote: What do you guys think?
I'd rather see an internal amp fix.
Maybe with usage the jack is now making contact to the chassis ground when it didn't before.
You can't guarantee that some other venue you go to perform at isn't mis-wired with its power distribution.
Personally I think asking you to use a 3-prong to 2 prong adapter on the amp is a lame way to repair what is
most likely an input jack and circuitry issue. I wouldn't ever consider it for the PA.
I agree with you, That third prong is an earthen ground to feed off electricity from a short. It is connected from the breaker box to the water pipe or a long rod driven in the ground. The I amp problem may be a ground loop fault (or short)If this happens at home or any were else you use the amp.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Rocco Crocco wrote:Well, a couple months ago I was having problems with my Vypyr Pro. The XLR output developed a hum or a buzz when plugged into my monitor or into my band's PA system. My tech (authorized Peavey repair shop) just called me and let me know that Peavey's technical team said I should use a two prong adapter on the power cord of the amp. Also a two prong adapter on the PA power amp would work, too, as an alternative. My tech tested it and it works.

Is this even safe???? I can't ask my drummer (owns the PA) to use a two prong adapter for his PA. Also, this problem was not present when I first got the amp. It developed a couple months after I bought the amp. Obviously something is wrong with the amp, and I appreciate an easy work-around, but something doesn't feel right about this.

What do you guys think?
Anyone from Peavey care to weigh in?

treewiz

Post by treewiz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I have complained about the XLR Direct Out ground loop hum from the get go of owning this amp. This is my second one and they both produced it no matter what you try and I have tried all the tricks. The only thing that has alleviated it is my ART hum cancelling transformer box. I really believe this is a factory flaw in most of the amps. The louder you send the signal thru to the PA the more prolific it becomes, bummer!

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm

I seriously doubt that anyone at Peavey gave that kind of advice, other than MAYBE as a diagnostic. That is a possible safety hazard and quite the opposite of what we would recommend. See this link:

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/saf ... hazard.cfm

If something has a buzz or hum that wasn't there previously, excusing any other variables (ie; I just rewired my house, or, it does it at the club but not in my basement, etc.), something likely broke.

If the problem is actually a ground loop, those can be tricky to deal with and do not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with the amp OR the PA. If you want to get in-depth on ground loops see this:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/grou ... index.html

http://www.epanorama.net/links/wire_av.html#grounding
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Roger I truly believe that was the message given by Peavey to the amp tech. I can get the Peavey support staffer's name if you'd like. Maybe you could reach out and ask that person to clarify. Let me know if you would like the person's name.