Vypyr Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Gurutweak

Re: Vypyr Pro

Post by Gurutweak » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 pm

pol2711 wrote:
Buy the amp, you will not be disapointed.
The only thing i do not like is the effectsection: a good chorus, flanger or phasersound is hard to get. Maybe it's me but they are tonesuckers.
another thing is the conncection with my PC/iMac using the editor. Hope they will come soon with an update, now it's horrible. Keep lossing it's connection and have to reconnect with the amp continuously until the connection is lost. Not workable.

But hey, it's the sound....the sound is GOOD. They did a good job!
I finally bought the amp, and the pedal will follow up soon. At first I thought the amp was overall too bright and also had very grainy note decays, even on clean tones...until I discovered the Deep Edit functions and disabled that crappy noise gate and the bright switch and then rolled off the presence which was by default set to 64. It's a different amp now. I can honestly say that my Strats (with Dimarzio Area 51/62, Zexcoil and Mojotone QuietCoil sets) now sound every bit as good as through my modded and NOS tube equipped Blues DeLuxe and '65 DeLuxe Reverb. Warm, organic, open, blooming tones, clarity and balls as desired. Nice gradual breakup when and as much needed. So far I'm truly impressed. High gain tones are nice as well, but because they are not my focus, can't put any words into metal guys' mouths.

I wonder why this amp has not created more buzz? Lousy (or incomplete) Youtube demos surely are among the culprits. Peavey would do wisely to pay Pete Thorn a few bucks to do a killer demo video.

Maybe I'll be less impressed when I get into the pedal/software editing/firmware update soup. Bracing myself.

zepdude

Post by zepdude » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 am

Gurutweak wrote:
pol2711 wrote:
Buy the amp, you will not be disapointed.
The only thing i do not like is the effectsection: a good chorus, flanger or phasersound is hard to get. Maybe it's me but they are tonesuckers.
another thing is the conncection with my PC/iMac using the editor. Hope they will come soon with an update, now it's horrible. Keep lossing it's connection and have to reconnect with the amp continuously until the connection is lost. Not workable.

But hey, it's the sound....the sound is GOOD. They did a good job!
I finally bought the amp, and the pedal will follow up soon. At first I thought the amp was overall too bright and also had very grainy note decays, even on clean tones...until I discovered the Deep Edit functions and disabled that crappy noise gate and the bright switch and then rolled off the presence which was by default set to 64. It's a different amp now. I can honestly say that my Strats (with Dimarzio Area 51/62, Zexcoil and Mojotone QuietCoil sets) now sound every bit as good as through my modded and NOS tube equipped Blues DeLuxe and '65 DeLuxe Reverb. Warm, organic, open, blooming tones, clarity and balls as desired. Nice gradual breakup when and as much needed. So far I'm truly impressed. High gain tones are nice as well, but because they are not my focus, can't put any words into metal guys' mouths.

I wonder why this amp has not created more buzz? Lousy (or incomplete) Youtube demos surely are among the culprits. Peavey would do wisely to pay Pete Thorn a few bucks to do a killer demo video.

Maybe I'll be less impressed when I get into the pedal/software editing/firmware update soup. Bracing myself.

I agree these amps are great! but the lack of doc's /PDF's / promo bother me as well, the VIP 2 I own has 4 times the info then the manual or the website for the pro.... doesnt make sense... I was a loyal LINE 6 guy for 10 years the pdf's on the Spider 4 could fill a binder, well yes they do..... but I agree get a great player to demo this amp.....

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am

Actually I've been working on getting some outside videos done. There are a lot of reviews in the works as well. The manual isn't as thick because I wanted to concentrate on the videos, which if you follow along get you up and running really quickly. You should have gotten all of them on the DVD that ships with the amp. One of the issues is I need outside help with the videos for more variety with guitars, etc.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I could always go Live on Peavey's FB page.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

zepdude

Post by zepdude » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

pvampmgr wrote:Actually I've been working on getting some outside videos done. There are a lot of reviews in the works as well. The manual isn't as thick because I wanted to concentrate on the videos, which if you follow along get you up and running really quickly. You should have gotten all of them on the DVD that ships with the amp. One of the issues is I need outside help with the videos for more variety with guitars, etc.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I could always go Live on Peavey's FB page.

Mike Your Vids are what sold me on the amp! so any future info ,pdf's etc.. I look forward to any of them!

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 pm

pvampmgr wrote:Actually I've been working on getting some outside videos done. There are a lot of reviews in the works as well. The manual isn't as thick because I wanted to concentrate on the videos, which if you follow along get you up and running really quickly. You should have gotten all of them on the DVD that ships with the amp. One of the issues is I need outside help with the videos for more variety with guitars, etc.

i did not get a DVD - is there anythimg on it that isnt on the Peavey website?

i found your vids on the site extremely helpful. Its not a difficult system to figure out, just had a few ??? as a new user and the videos gave me the answers. good job on doing a bunch of short, specific videos

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

Landshark wrote:

i found your vids on the site extremely helpful. Its not a difficult system to figure out, just had a few ??? as a new user and the videos gave me the answers. good job on doing a bunch of short, specific videos
All the stuff from the DVD is on the site with the exception of a download link to Reaper, which is a GREAT DAW and free to use. You can find that at www.cockos.com. Glad the videos are a help!
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:02 pm

pvampmgr wrote:
Landshark wrote:

All the stuff from the DVD is on the site with the exception of a download link to Reaper, which is a GREAT DAW and free to use. You can find that at http://www.cockos.com. Glad the videos are a help!

a bunch of short videos on each topic was easier to deal with than wading through one long one.

so .... any chance for an Android app of the editor? i'd even settle for an IOS one .... :)

zepdude

Post by zepdude » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 am

Roger sent me the link to the mac Version of Edit, hope this helps.
https://assets.peavey.com/static/peavey ... 10.pkg.zip

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:55 pm

After a week or so of initial noodling with the amp, here are some impressions:
The high gain and clean amp models are way ahead of the low breakup/edge OD/medium gain ones.
I have never owned a Diezel or a 3120 but those models sound amazing even at the lowest gain setting.
Shouldn't one expect to pull off more authentic SRV tones out of a Fender model rather than a 3120? That's exactly what happens here.
I found the Classic 50, Hiwatt, AC30 and JTM800 models disappointing in the sense that they lack the punch, girth and lushness of their real counterparts. I still have a (modded) Top Hat Empexador and it sounds a whole class ahead of the mentioned models.

The OD and distortion stompbox models are fairly useless as well. Peavey would do wise to drop the usual suspect pedals and try to model some of the current amazing OD pedals that are quite abundant on the market.
The compressor is average (has problems with chord decays as it adds a VCA "chatter"). It works well on monophonic notes, though. I suggest Peavey includes a 5-band graphic or a parametric EQ to the stompbox menu. That would add a lot of flexibility to the amp and greatly expand the overdriven sound palette.

The envelope filter, auto wah, phaser, chorus and flanger models are all very useable, and so are the delay and reverb ones.

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Actually the Classic 50 and JTM800 sound quite better with P90 style guitars than with strats.

For folks who also have a Variax (like myself), a "flat" or "linear" model (no amp modelling, just an active, Baxandall style tone control) would also be very useful for non-electric guitar sounds. That D28 emulation on the Variax is extremely boomy, so again a parametric EQ stomp model would help a lot. I use a 5-band graphic EQ stomp box just for that purpose and i scoop out the low mids all the way.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Lacking Talent wrote:Yeah, from various cleans to those elusive/transitional "edge of breakup" tones -- governed by your guitar's volume knob and/or how hard you're hitting the strings -- is where, IMO, the rubber really meets the road on testing the value proposition of a modeling amp. Would love to hear more (or, anything, actually) from Vypyr Pro users that live in that realm at least a good part of their playing time.
Gurutweak wrote:After a week or so of initial noodling with the amp, here are some impressions:
The high gain and clean amp models are way ahead of the low breakup/edge OD/medium gain ones.
That's a bummer to hear, but thanks for sharing your experience.

homerlex

Post by homerlex » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:19 am

pvampmgr wrote: All the stuff from the DVD is on the site with the exception of a download link to Reaper, which is a GREAT DAW and free to use. You can find that at http://www.cockos.com. Glad the videos are a help!
Mine did not come with a DVD. I downloaded Reaper from cockos. Its not free to use (as stated above). It says its free to evaluate for 60 days.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:18 am

any chance in a future software update that the Master Volume can be made more linear?!?!?!?!?

i got rid of my 6505+ head for that reason - it had three volume settings:
0 .... no sound
0-0.75 .... home level
anything past 0.75 .... STADIUM LEVELS!!!!

i replaced it with a XXX head that has a much more linear volume.

the home usable range on the Vyper Pro for me is below 1 on the volume knob. if i breathe on the knob a little, my extreme volume level warning siren (wife) goes off.

culpster

Post by culpster » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Use the Power Sponge on the back of the amp. It will greatly change the linear volume values on the knob.
EVH Wolfgang Standard
EVH Wolfgang Special
Peavey Vypyr Pro 100, Blackstar Tube 60, Blackstar 60TVP, Marshall JVM

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:39 pm

culpster wrote:Use the Power Sponge on the back of the amp. It will greatly change the linear volume values on the knob.
i had to turn the power sponge up, because using 2 or more high gain amp models made things get real fizzy.

even with sponge at zero, volume past "1" was pretty frickin' loud.