Vypyr gain stages

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
j_fury68

Vypyr gain stages

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:42 pm

I came across an old factory tech trouble shooting guide for the original vypyrs. In there it talks of a test mode and references gain stages. Does anyone know if these are adjustable?
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

GaryMadore

Re: Vypyr gain stages

Post by GaryMadore » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 pm

j_fury68 wrote:I came across an old factory tech trouble shooting guide for the original vypyrs. In there it talks of a test mode and references gain stages. Does anyone know if these are adjustable?
I'm disappointed that nobody bothered to answer: I am wondering the same thing as I am troubleshooting my Tube 60 and see the reference to holding buttons 2 & 3 during power up related to "Gain Stages - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 0s-to-DAC (mute)" and would like to know what that means (and how to use it for troubleshooting).

Gary

bgh

Post by bgh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:50 am

Roger Crimm (Peavey) is very good about answering questions we pose. It may simply be he has not had a chance to check in on the forum.

I've personally never heard of the maintenance doc and such. I am also interested in the answer (and in learning more about this).
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

GaryMadore

Post by GaryMadore » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:52 pm

bgh wrote:Roger Crimm (Peavey) is very good about answering questions we pose. It may simply be he has not had a chance to check in on the forum.

I've personally never heard of the maintenance doc and such. I am also interested in the answer (and in learning more about this).
I have the maintenance document (as does, I suspect, jfury): It's marked "confidential" and isn't supposed to be available to other than authorized Peavey techs.

This same question has been posed a few times on this forum, dating back years: Mr Crimm ain't answering. In fact, this thread is from 2015; I only replied to bump it up and put it back on the RADAR.

Someone once (at least once) posted the document on this forum in pdf format and it was quickly taken down.

Come on: We're talking about amps that aren't even supported by Peavey any more so why all the continued secrecy?

Anyway, it's a guide to very common problems with the Vypyr series and details the things to check - including mods (removal of certain caps, for example) that should have been done.

Cheers!

Gary

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't know that there is any "secrecy" at this point, I hadn't even thought about it in forever....

There is little or nothing that any shop that ever worked on one wouldn't already have by now, so I don't know that the doc itself is all that useful anymore. About 95% of it was aimed at the very first run of the solid state models (15, 30, 75). Unless you have one of those there isn't very much in it to know.

"Gain stages" refers to a diagnostic procedure for the Transtube preamp (ie; does it work or not). No, there isn't anything adjustable there.

The only "leaked" versions I have seen out there were incomplete or early drafts, and yes confidential. Posted here is the whole thing and then some.
Attachments
Vypyr Troubleshooting Outline.pdf
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

GaryMadore

Post by GaryMadore » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Roger Crimm wrote:Posted here is the whole thing and then some.
I take it all back ;)

Thank you, both for the doc and the information.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Gary

bgh

Post by bgh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Roger Crimm wrote:I don't know that there is any "secrecy" at this point, I hadn't even thought about it in forever....

There is little or nothing that any shop that ever worked on one wouldn't already have by now, so I don't know that the doc itself is all that useful anymore. About 95% of it was aimed at the very first run of the solid state models (15, 30, 75). Unless you have one of those there isn't very much in it to know.

"Gain stages" refers to a diagnostic procedure for the Transtube preamp (ie; does it work or not). No, there isn't anything adjustable there.

The only "leaked" versions I have seen out there were incomplete or early drafts, and yes confidential. Posted here is the whole thing and then some.
Roger, thanks!
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli