Controlling Vypyr using a Raspberry PI

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
gcolbert

Controlling Vypyr using a Raspberry PI

Post by gcolbert » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:43 am

I was just noticing how easily my little Raspberry PI 2 was able to interface with the Vypyr VIP USB port. Got me wondering is anyone has written any projects to use the PI as an amp controller.

Is anyone using their PI to run their Vypyr VIP?

wmjones

Re: Controlling Vypyr using a Raspberry PI

Post by wmjones » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:48 pm

gcolbert wrote:I was just noticing how easily my little Raspberry PI 2 was able to interface with the Vypyr VIP USB port. Got me wondering is anyone has written any projects to use the PI as an amp controller.

Is anyone using their PI to run their Vypyr VIP?
The vypyr, vypyr-vip and vypyr pro use midi cc codes, program codes and notes for controlling the amps. I do not have a little Raspberry PI 2, but I think it controls by using computer commands (binary).
8) HAPPY DAYS:

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:33 pm

The raspberry speaks MIDI quite fluently, thank you. It also has GPIO pins that allow relatively easy access to adding switches (floor buttons), lights, and other electronics. Using low-cost wireless USB it could be an extremely flexible and powerful Vypyr VIP controller. At $35 a pop it could be a real cool alternative to a Sanpera.

Glen

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:10 pm

The VIPs look like they could be easily controlled both from the USB port and/or from the encoder port. Looks like a classical SPI interface. Should be able to control it pretty easily. Just need some young hacker with an Arduino and some rudimentary hacking skills. Lots of cool opportunities with this setup

Freon1969

Post by Freon1969 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:00 pm

I have a Raspberry PI 3 and I have started the quest to control the VIP with it. The issue is windows 10 iot will not run the app. It must be run with Raspbian and an emulator like "Wine". The ideal thing, and this has alot of interest, is to bring a Linux VIP app to the world. How cool to control the amp with a 7" LCD and a Raspberry? Comon Peavey! step up. It would be the new rage.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sun May 21, 2017 5:45 pm

The issue is windows 10 iot will not run the app.
Actually, I was thinking of things at a lower level than that. Connecting the I/O pins on the PI to the encoder board ports on the DSP board in the Vypyr, then a custom program in the Pi to act as a new software front-end for the amp.

Glen