Faulty pot - Peavey Vypyr VIP2

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
BiscuitP1mp

Faulty pot - Peavey Vypyr VIP2

Post by BiscuitP1mp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:39 am

Hey everyone,

I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP2 which I've owned for just over two years. The Low pot has become faulty. When turning counter-clockwise, the results is the settings change in clockwise direction. So basically I can't drop Lows on any given setting. If I keep turning it just maxes out, or very rarely, changes in the opposite (desired) direction.

I've cleaned this once with contact spray from the front by removing knob and spraying in to space around pot (sprayed a couple of times, gave it a good dozen turns in either direction). It was working fine for one jam, the next day it was back to behaving as previously described.

Unfortunately I am out of warranty period and can't get it sorted under a claim. I've been quoted a couple of hours of labour plus parts, and it's almost as expensive as buying one brand new. :(

Apparently the whole board needs replacing? Not just the optical part of the pot. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

Enzo

Re: Faulty pot - Peavey Vypyr VIP2

Post by Enzo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:00 am

Anybody who would replace the entire board for a faulty rotary encoder does not deserve your repair business. Two hours sounds high to me too, but that is more a judgement call.

The encoder itself might be faulty, or the solder on its legs might be cracked.

And I do not have one to look at, but the way some controls are put together is there is a metal cover held in place by little metal tabs bent over. Sometimes if something whacks the knob out front, it can push the back out of the control. The back needs to be right up snug to keep the rotary parts aligned. If that description makes sense to you, look closely at the control. If it doesn't, please tell me and I can describe it in a different manner.

I would be surprised if PV parts department did not have the control.

I THINK the part number is:
31322505 for the one with detents (the little bumps between numbers so it doesn;t spin freely.)
31322506 for the one with no detents, it rotates smoothly.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:27 am

BiscuitP1mp wrote:Hey everyone,

I've cleaned this once with contact spray from the front by removing knob and spraying in to space around pot (sprayed a couple of times, gave it a good dozen turns in either direction). It was working fine for one jam, the next day it was back to behaving as previously described

Thanks for the help.
Spray the pot's again, but this time lean your amp backwards , so that the pot's are horizontal. This way the spray can soak downward and into the pot's. Give it a few turns and repeat at least once. All 5 of pots on this board started acting up on my amp, so I did this twice. The first time it worked only about 2 day's, the second time it's been working sense. (about 8 month's now.)
8) HAPPY DAYS:

BiscuitP1mp

Post by BiscuitP1mp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:09 am

Enzo, thanks for the description and info. I will scope this out tomorrow morning after a good nights sleep :-)

wmjones, I am hoping it is just a cleaning job considering it started working, albeit briefly.

Thanks fellas!

sri page

Post by sri page » Wed May 31, 2017 3:46 am

Have the same issue as the OP, the low eq pod started malfunctioning a year after the purchase. Unfortunately the extended warranty thing is only for US/Canada region. Had the amp sent back for a pot replacement which cost around $50, worked fine for a while & then the middle one failed followed by the post gain. Now its impossible to operate the amp without vypyr edit. I've heard this is a recurring fault on most vip 2's. Is there a fix for this? Thank you.