Vypyr Pro - Fizziness with more than 1 high gain amp

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Landshark

Re: Vypyr Pro - Fizziness with more than 1 high gain amp

Post by Landshark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 pm

j_fury68 wrote:Take it back to GC. If they have another one on the floor, play that one and compare.

they don't. i'm returning it ....

sent some PM's to Peavey staff, no replies.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Landshark wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:Take it back to GC. If they have another one on the floor, play that one and compare.

they don't. i'm returning it ....

sent some PM's to Peavey staff, no replies.
I hope you can get another one and have a better experience. Mixing amps can be tricky with the high gain stuff, but there are some great tones (without fizz) you can't get from any old amp.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:29 am

The modeling is digital code, so if it is corrupted or "defective" somehow that usually just means the amp doesn't work, period. I suppose there could be some as-yet unknown hardware defect, but nothing like that has been reported before to my knowledge. If that were the case, it seems to me that it would affect all presets not just certain combinations. The easiest test for that would be to compare it to another one if possible and see if you get the same result.

I am not sure how much more help I can be via a message board. If you do believe there is some kind of defect, by all means contact your dealer about the possibility of service or a swap. If they cannot or will not help you, we of course always offer repair/support here at the factory. We would have to see your amp first hand of course, so contact us directly if you need to.

http://peavey.com/support/contactinfo/

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/repair/faq.cfm
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:05 am

it's very strange ... one amp sounds great. add another, and it goes to hell. if I turn the post gain down on the second amp to dial it out a bit, it gets even fizzier! ?????

sending back for an exchange, because I really do like the sound I get just out of the individual amps. looking forward to combining them to get some unique sounds. :)

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:52 am

so i went to Guitar Center Saturday to exchange the amp. they didn't have any in stock of course, so it would have to be shipped. after a long phone call to wherever, the guy says it will be shipped that day, or Monday at the latest, and i leave the amp there.

after no email or anything on Tuesday, i call for status. nothing has happened.

after an hour of online chat and phone calls, they manage to refund the money i PayPal'd for it. was then informed that i would have to call back and basically buy it again. oh, and its back-ordered until sometime next month.

i called Sweetwater, they came within $10 of the 20% discount i got at GC, and it will be at my door today.

Guitar Center: this is why you are practically out of business.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 am

Man, I hope this one works for you. I definitely love mine even though it's been a learning curve for me. I'm enjoying the best tone I have ever had mixing a Brit 30 and a 6534. Incredible and inspiring!
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 pm

got it today, mixed a Wylde overdrive+JCM800, and a Tube Screamer+Valveking .... no fizzies!

mixed a Rec and a Diezel ... no fizzies!

:D :D :D :D

the master volume doesn't seem so touchy, either when just playing factory presets - my first Vypro couldn't go above 8 o'clock before it was ridiculous loud. the only thing i can think of is some component was off spec or something. it just sounded like it was being overdriven too hard when more than 1 amp was added.

really happy now! :)

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Landshark wrote:got it today, mixed a Wylde overdrive+JCM800, and a Tube Screamer+Valveking .... no fizzies!

mixed a Rec and a Diezel ... no fizzies!

:D :D :D :D

the master volume doesn't seem so touchy, either when just playing factory presets - my first Vypro couldn't go above 8 o'clock before it was ridiculous loud. the only thing i can think of is some component was off spec or something. it just sounded like it was being overdriven too hard when more than 1 amp was added.

really happy now! :)
Sweet! And good for you. Now go make some beautiful tone!

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Glad to hear amp #2 doesn't have the fizzles. It could have been the speaker, unless you were hearing it through the phones or MSDI. If so, I'm not sure, but I certainly haven't gotten any complaints here about fizzy amp models. Speakers are inherently not all that consistent, which is why 10 different users can have 10 different experiences, even with very expensive speakers. In any event, glad you're taken care of!
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:45 pm

pvampmgr wrote:Glad to hear amp #2 doesn't have the fizzles. It could have been the speaker, unless you were hearing it through the phones or MSDI. If so, I'm not sure, but I certainly haven't gotten any complaints here about fizzy amp models. Speakers are inherently not all that consistent, which is why 10 different users can have 10 different experiences, even with very expensive speakers. In any event, glad you're taken care of!
i dont think it was the speaker - one amp sounded good. add a second, and fizz, even with gains turned down, power sponge 100% ... maybe it was something with the powrr sponge? i dunno.

just glad to have a good one that works. havent had this much fun playing in a long time. :)