Pretty Quiet on the Vypyr Pro 100 Front

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
treewiz

Re: Pretty Quiet on the Vypyr Pro 100 Front

Post by treewiz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:17 am

Well I have been gigging with my Vypyr Pro Amp and Sanpera Pro Pedal for about 6+ months and have been having great results with their performances. I have had every modeling unit under the sun along with a great variety of tube amps, effect pedals and so forth and I got to say that this combination has worked for the most part. I have had to add an Art groundloop/ hum eliminator box to connect the XLR out to the PA because I have not been able to beat an annoying ground loop hum from the connection (gone thru 2 amps,same results). This could be that for the most part these direct outs can be finnicky in certain situations.I'm not too fond of the wah pedal effect yet either, other than those to issues, I really love the versatility,feel and convenience of this amp package. I have an AXE-Fx II to compare this Vypyr pro to and I gotta tell ya, I find myself having an easier time tweaking and getting my sound on stage with my Band with the Vypyr Pro. I am not dissing the Fractal Audio AXE-FX II, because that is certainly a great tool for music but it takes more work to achieve a live stage sound for me than the Vypyr Pro. I've owned the AXE-FX II for a number of years (bought it when the II first came out, to replace an ULtra I had previously.) and have a good handle on how to work the AXE-FX II with good results, but with the Vypyr Pro, set up is quick and easy and tweaking on the fly during a gig (if I must) is relatively simple, once you get a handle on the amp's functions, just like any other tool in this Industry. Well this has been my experiece with the Vypyr Pro so far and I am enjoying the journey for the price I paid for this winning combination!

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

Landshark wrote:really loving my Pro.

i like the sound of the 6505 model better than what i got from the real 1/2 stack i had (although new tubes/speakers may have helped? i didnt give it much of a chance before i swapped it for a XXX head, which i really liked).

i was skeptical if the open back of the Pro would bring the chunk, but it certainly does.

suggestions:
for current Vypro - please add the "Crunch" channel of the 3120 - i (and many others) preferred that to the "Ultra" channel
maybe add some ENGL models in the future? (Savage!)

for the next Vypro model, it would be nice if the Resonance and Presence were dedicated knobs - i use them a lot and they can really change the sound.
Just an FYI, the Resonance and Presence knobs are dedicated knobs per preset.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:13 am

pvampmgr wrote: Just an FYI, the Resonance and Presence knobs are dedicated knobs per preset.
yeah, i understand that (which is great) .... i meant put two *physical* knobs on the face of the amp. i guess real estate is tight - maybe use one of those concentric knobs like the one next to the power buttons to handle both controls?

not a big deal, it would just be nice to instantly tweak Pres and Res without holding deep edit button, pushing "Output", then adjusting ...

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Landshark wrote:
pvampmgr wrote: Just an FYI, the Resonance and Presence knobs are dedicated knobs per preset.
yeah, i understand that (which is great) .... i meant put two *physical* knobs on the face of the amp. i guess real estate is tight - maybe use one of those concentric knobs like the one next to the power buttons to handle both controls?

not a big deal, it would just be nice to instantly tweak Pres and Res without holding deep edit button, pushing "Output", then adjusting ...
Understood. Yes, it just gets to the point where you run out of space, plus those knobs are very expensive, very.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

bgh

Post by bgh » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:58 am

pvampmgr wrote:
Landshark wrote:

Understood. Yes, it just gets to the point where you run out of space, plus those knobs are very expensive, very.
Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind saying, what makes them so expensive? Is it the material or the internals, or something else?
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:52 pm

bgh wrote:
pvampmgr wrote:
Landshark wrote:

Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind saying, what makes them so expensive? Is it the material or the internals, or something else?[/quote

WYSIWYG has always been expensive because of all the LED's that have to be used plus the programming and logic to make them work. The Vypyr Pro's "advanced WYSIWYG" interface is even more expensive because the knobs themselves are full of "lightpipes" that carry the light to the ends of the knobs, so that the LED's aren't actually visible. We are using this interface system on more things moving forward, which helps. To be honest, adding another 2 knobs to the front of the amp would have raised the price of the amp by about $50 street all things considered.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 am

pvampmgr wrote:
WYSIWYG has always been expensive because of all the LED's that have to be used plus the programming and logic to make them work. The Vypyr Pro's "advanced WYSIWYG" interface is even more expensive because the knobs themselves are full of "lightpipes" that carry the light to the ends of the knobs, so that the LED's aren't actually visible.
I was actually referring to the non-LED "knob-in-a-knob" like the one next to the standby and power switches. Presence on inner knob, Resonance on outer .... ???
i'm sure that knob is not exactly cheap, either, but probably less than the LED knobs.

Are there any plans for updates, possibly additional amp models? I'm very happy with what's in the Pro, but its always nice to get an update down the line with additional features/models.

One more question: what channels are modelled with the JSX/3120? Is the "dirty" model for both using the "Ultra" channel? I think i read that somewhere ... If that's the case, would be nice if one of them could be the "Crunch" channel, as having "ultra" modelled for both would be kinda redundant. I LOVED the Crunch channel on my real XXX. :)

bgh

Post by bgh » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:33 am

pvampmgr wrote:WYSIWYG has always been expensive because of all the LED's that have to be used plus the programming and logic to make them work. The Vypyr Pro's "advanced WYSIWYG" interface is even more expensive because the knobs themselves are full of "lightpipes" that carry the light to the ends of the knobs, so that the LED's aren't actually visible. We are using this interface system on more things moving forward, which helps. To be honest, adding another 2 knobs to the front of the amp would have raised the price of the amp by about $50 street all things considered.
Thanks! It sounds like they are a little different than the ones used in the original series.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Landshark wrote:
pvampmgr wrote:
WYSIWYG has always been expensive because of all the LED's that have to be used plus the programming and logic to make them work. The Vypyr Pro's "advanced WYSIWYG" interface is even more expensive because the knobs themselves are full of "lightpipes" that carry the light to the ends of the knobs, so that the LED's aren't actually visible.
I was actually referring to the non-LED "knob-in-a-knob" like the one next to the standby and power switches. Presence on inner knob, Resonance on outer .... ???
i'm sure that knob is not exactly cheap, either, but probably less than the LED knobs.

Are there any plans for updates, possibly additional amp models? I'm very happy with what's in the Pro, but its always nice to get an update down the line with additional features/models.

One more question: what channels are modelled with the JSX/3120? Is the "dirty" model for both using the "Ultra" channel? I think i read that somewhere ... If that's the case, would be nice if one of them could be the "Crunch" channel, as having "ultra" modelled for both would be kinda redundant. I LOVED the Crunch channel on my real XXX. :)

Actually, I believe that both the 3120 and XXXII dirty channels are the lead. They actually are not exactly the same, close but not exact.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:33 am

pvampmgr wrote:
Actually, I believe that both the 3120 and XXXII dirty channels are the lead. They actually are not exactly the same, close but not exact.

despite the "Crunch" title making you think "slightly-overdriven", that channel has a ridiculous amount of gain, and pretty much everyone i've known to use a XXX/3120 or JSX/XXXII preferred that channel over the "Ultra" channel - Gary Holt of Exodus/Slayer included. He used it on 2 albums, and it continues to be the backup to his MUCH more expensive ENGL Savage.

tiger j

Post by tiger j » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Had a chance to noodle on a BOSS Katana (the big one) and a Line 6 Spider V 120 at a local music store (not the big box "center" which has nothing in stock.) Wouldn't trade my Vypyr PRO for either one or both.
Warmoth Custom-Build Strat (DiMarzio Fast Track/Chopper/Mo'Joe)
Fender American Special Strat
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/ Bigsby
Fernandes Nomad Deluxe
Peavey Vypyr PRO 100 w/ Sanpera PRO
Fender Mustang GT40
Peavey KB3 w/ TC Helicon Voicelive

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:33 pm

tiger j wrote:Had a chance to noodle on a BOSS Katana (the big one) and a Line 6 Spider V 120 at a local music store (not the big box "center" which has nothing in stock.) Wouldn't trade my Vypyr PRO for either one or both.
That's good to hear. The Katana looks, sounds pretty tuff on the youtube videos I've seen. Pretty awesome price point as well. I'm sure it's a good amp. I would like to see some customized, downloadable effects for the Pro. There's a lot of stuff I'll never use on the pro so it would be nice to be able to fill some of those slots with stuff I would use, like a harmonizer. Still the pro seems a bit more versatile with the sanprea pro and ability to use more than one amp model at once.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:06 pm

i would pay a reasonable amount for extra amp and effects add-on packs.

Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Landshark wrote:i would pay a reasonable amount for extra amp and effects add-on packs.
Ditto.
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute
2015 Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Pro w/ Sanpera Pro
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

Jsnstanley

Post by Jsnstanley » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:26 am

[quote=“Landshark"]i would pay a reasonable amount for extra amp and effects add-on packs.[/quote]
+1 8)