Vypyr 30 not responding to MIDI

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
valdiorn

Vypyr 30 not responding to MIDI

Post by valdiorn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey guys. I recently got a hold of an old Vypyr 30 combo which I've turned into a rack mounted amp. This thing sounds great! :)

Anyway, I was hoping to control it via midi as I'd like to take it to jams and I need to be able to switch between presets with a foot controller. From what I've read, I thought I could simply plug a 5 pin Midi cable from my interface into the back of the Vypyr, but when I do that I don't seem to get any response from the unit.

I've tried 2 interfaces, both a cheap usb-to-midi cable, and the output of my MOTU 828 MkII, neither seems to be able to incur any parameter change in the unit. (I've been sending some random values for the CC numbers found in this thread: https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... i&start=15 - I've tried all midi channels, and several control #'s -- My unit is firmware 1.58 if that matters)

Am I doing something wrong? Should a regular midi cable work? It's quite possible I damaged something on my unit, I just wanted to confirm that this *should* work under normal conditions, and that I don't need a special cable or something like that.

Any help appreciated.

valdiorn

Re: Vypyr 30 not responding to MIDI

Post by valdiorn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Oh, whoop, I can actually send program changes and it does jump between the presets! But none of the CC messages seem to be working.
Any idea?

Edit: Well, got *some* of them working, but still unable to control the continuous parameters like gain, bass, treble, etc. I can change the amp model and effect (CC 8 and 9,,, and actually #10 seems to have the same effect as #9, it changes the Effect).

Is my vypyr all screwed up, or is the midi map in the post I linked out of date?

https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=midi

Rockman64

Post by Rockman64 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 am

Im wanting to turn my vypyr 30 into a rack mount any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

larbo44

Post by larbo44 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm

I know you posted this a while back but I have recently been working on other ways to control my Vypyr Amps. I have the Vypyr 30 and Tube 60. I have built a programmable foot switch that send Midi command to the amps to change the 4 presets on which ever bank is active. I have used an Arduino pro micro and a simple code to accomplish this. So it can be done. I am only using a 5 pin cable and it is only using pins 4 and 5 on the amp to control it. I am not sure about other actual stand alone Midi controllers. I have seen several that would be nice to use but still trying to find out if they will work at all. I am guessing the Sanpera I and II are actually programmed with the correct Midi commands to make the Vypyr's to work correctly. I have heard the new VIP series uses the Sanpera Pro which isn't compatible with the older Vypyr so I am guessing that is because the command codes are different. If you want the full feature of the Sanpera pedals it would probably best get a used one but if you want just some basic features there are options like the Ardunio. I have seen where some people have set the Arduino up to turn the reverb and delay on and off. I haven't got that far yet. I plan on trying to expand the Arduino to control more function in the future but for now all I need is to go between the 4 presets on which ever bank I have selected on the amp. I hope this helps and helps other see there are some alternatives.