Getting KT66s into a Tube 120

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
GaryMadore

Re: Getting KT66s into a Tube 120

Post by GaryMadore » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:18 pm

godoy.rafa wrote:Awesome... But can you put some valves in my VIP 2??? :lol:
Nope, but this guy can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmh40eZmG5U

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, though ;)

It certainly *can* be done, but you'd have to be crazier than I am to want to.... heh

Cheers!

Gary

GaryMadore

Post by GaryMadore » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

The new jugs finally arrived today - what a messed up journey that has been.

Anyway, they fit. It works.
Tube064.jpg
Tube064.jpg (1021.89 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Verdict:

If you want KT66s in your Tube 120, it can be done. All you need is some parts, a soldering iron, and a whole lot more madness than smarts.

Dalrymple will ask how it sounds now. I haven't played it a whole lot yet but if I had to describe the new sound in one word it would be "RoomFilling" (OK, so I cheated. Heh) I find that I REALLY like the Classic amp with these new tubes as well. Full. Warm. Room filling.

I am as happy as the proverbial pig in shi... er, mud.

Now to make a new faceplate to show 'em off more better.

Cheers!

Gary

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:33 pm

No need to bother with those crappy tube retaining springs. Those babies arent going anywhere. They LIVE there. Just look at em. You can tell, they belong there. Oh yeah. Spring retainers? LOL
Dalrymple

GaryMadore

Post by GaryMadore » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:53 pm

dalrymple wrote:No need to bother with those crappy tube retaining springs. Those babies arent going anywhere. They LIVE there. Just look at em. You can tell, they belong there. Oh yeah. Spring retainers? LOL
Dalrymple
LOL

I actually bought those retainers for the 66's when I was still looking at hanging them upside-down. I must have ordered the wrong ones, though because there's no way, no how that those ones will fit those jugs. No way. No how.

I ain't heartbroken about that, though, because they would have hidden some of that sound-sweetening gold paint ;)

Cheers!

Gary