Vypyr pro 100 (preset lag)

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Steve Zane

Vypyr pro 100 (preset lag)

Post by Steve Zane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi, I just bought a vypyr pro 100 with the Sanpera pro foot remote...One thing that really upset me is when i change from a preset to another preset I get a lag..sort of a fade in to the next preset..the changes are not sharp.That is just really bad when playing live..is it normal or could it be a glitch?

j_fury68

Re: Vypyr pro 100 (preset lag)

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm

I believe it is the nature of the transtube amp. Michael Smith indicated this in another post. His solution was to assign a dirty amp and clean amp to the expression pedal and toggle between the tones within the same preset.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Steve Zane

Post by Steve Zane » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 am

Christ...this is bad..Peavey should think about fixing this issue...no one wants to have latency when playing live.Using the pedal to toggle between clean and dirty actually limits us with presets options....this is bad..I think i will sell the Vypyr pro...can't have this..and peavey support really sucks as well..sent them an email 2 weeks ago and still no reply...thats's sad..i've been using Peavey amps for over 30 years,but i find they are killing them self slowly.

Thanks for your reply j_Fury68...would you know where is the post of Michael smith?

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:32 am

Here is the quote from Michael's previous post answering this:

"Yes, I see what you are experiencing. It's more or less the tradeoff when using Transtube. With a digital modeling amp, yes, you can get faster switches between patches, but you won't have the tone of the Vypyr. It didn't look to me like there was a ton of different effects stacked up in the presets, so could you just crossfade within the same patch? You could use one of the pedals to crossfade between the clean and dirty amps and also to increase the level on the chorus so that you hear it on the clean but not the dirty. Other than that, what is happening is just the amp having to reset the Transtube distortion, which is pretty deep. With a Vypyr, it's going into the digital realm, then back to analog for the Transtube and back to digital again for the effects. Unfortunately a little cut off is a symptom of this. Some tube amps that use LDR switching actually have a longer dropout sometimes."

In other words, the only "fix" for that would ruin the tone of the amplifier. The answer is to use the models on/off and pedal assignments. Doing that should cover almost any situation that may require an immediate patch change. Give us a little more detail about what changes you are trying to accomplish, and we can try and find a workaround.

BTW- The first email I could find that we got from you was received March 9th, and we were off three days last weekend. If you sent one previous to that I apologize, apparently we never received it.
If you need an immediate response, it is usually best to call us during business hours if possible. We try to answer all emails we get as timely as is possible. Due to the volume we get it isn't always possible to promise an immediate response. Especially if the question requires some research.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:52 pm

For an example of what I am talking about. It you wanted to go from clean to dirty within a preset, one way to do it would be to assign a dirty amp in model 1 and a clean amp in model 2.

Then you can assign the right expression pedal to the post gain of your amp models, model 1 turns up as model 2 turns down. Not only can you switch seamlessly, you could have any blend of the two you wanted.

Just one example...
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 am

Roger Crimm wrote:For an example of what I am talking about. It you wanted to go from clean to dirty within a preset, one way to do it would be to assign a dirty amp in model 1 and a clean amp in model 2.

Then you can assign the right expression pedal to the post gain of your amp models, model 1 turns up as model 2 turns down. Not only can you switch seamlessly, you could have any blend of the two you wanted.

Just one example...
I actually have a preset set up this way and it is pretty versatile and awesome sounding! It's my favorite preset to date.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Steve Zane

Post by Steve Zane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm

ok, I've tried this out...I also see that we can assign 3 effects on the pedal..there is a Pedal Right A,B,C option each letters are an effect that you can assign to the pedal,so you can put a reverb/delay with let say two models...this makes life better..lol I still hope Peavey will fix this issue and improve their costumer service tho....
Wolfgang guitar, Fender Stratocaster usa, Peavey valking 100, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Vypyr pro.

Steve Zane

Post by Steve Zane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:55 pm

This is great if you are using two dirty models and want to switch back to a clean...just have to make A and B the dirty models and C the clean...
Wolfgang guitar, Fender Stratocaster usa, Peavey valking 100, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Vypyr pro.