Vypyr VIP Clean Amp Tone - PRESALES QUESTION

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Ppiluk

Vypyr VIP Clean Amp Tone - PRESALES QUESTION

Post by Ppiluk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello All,

I am in the market to replace my venerable and much loved Vypyr 15. I am currently considering either the Vypyr VIP 100 or the Spider V 60 watt version. I asked a similar question last month and didn't get a response so I have reworded my original post to hopefully make more sense.

I loved the clean tones I could get out of the original Vypyr. I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on either of these amps.

1) I used the "Classic" amp version quite a bit and loved it. How does the VIP version compare to the original Vypyr.

2) I am looking at using my POD HD500 with this amp. Currently, I am running this multi-pedal through a Fender Acoustasonic Amp and it works quite well. I would love to do this with the new VIP amp saving me from carrying two amps to jam sessions and gigs. The Spider V has an option to run a patch without any of the built-in modeling or effects making this amp basically a powered speaker. I know the VIP requires all patches to have an amp at the very least. The Peavey Ecoustic Series of amps has a great reputation of perfectly clean sound well suited for multi-pedals. Can someone comment on how the Peavey Ecoustic compares to the VIP version?

Once again, thank you for reading my post and think you in advance for any insites you might have.

Fastwind

Re: Vypyr VIP Clean Amp Tone - PRESALES QUESTION

Post by Fastwind » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am

1. The models in the VIP series are basically the same as their Vypyr Original counterparts, so the Classic model will suit you just fine.

2. I use my VIP3 all the time with effects put in front (I use the Boss GT100). The VIP3 can take anything you throw at it.

The VIP3 also is incredibly LOUD!! But the 'Power Sponge' really works and lets you dial down to a fraction of the volume without affecting the tone.

You will be very pleased with the Vypyr VIP3, Go for it!

Ppiluk

Post by Ppiluk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you for your response...I t brings me one step closer to a decision.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:38 am

Ppiluk wrote: The Spider V has an option to run a patch without any of the built-in modeling or effects making this amp basically a powered speaker. I know the VIP requires all patches to have an amp at the very least.

the Spider V has horrible reviews. I want to like Line 6, but there's something in their tones that bothers me. I had several POD's and a Vetta II, and it was constant tweaking - i'd get a tone i was satisfied with, and the next day i'd hate it. I even replaced the flat modelling speakers in the Vetta with regular guitar speakers and turned off cab sims, but nothing helped.

the Vypyr Pro allows you to disable amps and effects. It may be a bit more expensive than the Spider V, but I'm guessing it sounds far better. You may be able to find a deal on a used or open-box one. there are clean channels for all the amps modelled, and a bigger selection than the VIP. after buying the Vypyr Pro, i sold my all-tube half stack. :)

Ppiluk

Post by Ppiluk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 am

Landshark wrote:
Ppiluk wrote: The Spider V has an option to run a patch without any of the built-in modeling or effects making this amp basically a powered speaker. I know the VIP requires all patches to have an amp at the very least.

the Spider V has horrible reviews. I want to like Line 6, but there's something in their tones that bothers me. I had several POD's and a Vetta II, and it was constant tweaking - i'd get a tone i was satisfied with, and the next day i'd hate it. I even replaced the flat modelling speakers in the Vetta with regular guitar speakers and turned off cab sims, but nothing helped.

the Vypyr Pro allows you to disable amps and effects. It may be a bit more expensive than the Spider V, but I'm guessing it sounds far better. You may be able to find a deal on a used or open-box one. there are clean channels for all the amps modelled, and a bigger selection than the VIP. after buying the Vypyr Pro, i sold my all-tube half stack. :)
Thanks for your post. I hadn't considered the Pro but I will look into it.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 am

here is the list of amp models on the Pro - the Classic 50 is included ...

https://peavey.com/forum/download/file.php?id=15536