VIP 3 LED Blacked out controls not working

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
lexirex001

VIP 3 LED Blacked out controls not working

Post by lexirex001 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

My 1 1/2 year old VIP 3 has LED blacked out and none of the controls are working. Worked fine last time I turned it on, now this. Amp is in my studio/office and does not move. Very unhappy right now. Tried all the resets listed on boards and re-installed 1.62 firmware. This is inexcusable after such a short time and very light use. Any ideas on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. Closest service center is 60+ miles away. If I can't find a way to get this resolved it will go in the garbage. Will not waste my time with something this unreliable. :x So...may have an almost new Sanpera II available shortly for a good price.

lexirex001

Re: VIP 3 LED Blacked out controls not working

Post by lexirex001 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Well guess it'll be out for the garbage truck in the morning. First and last Peavey product I will buy. Sanpera II will be listed on Ebay shortly for cheap.

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:05 pm

The resolution would be to have it repaired, and if you bought it new it is still within warranty. If taking to a local shop isn't an option, you could pull the chassis and send it to the factory. See this link:

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/repair/faq.cfm
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

lexirex001

Post by lexirex001 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks for your reply Roger. I did buy it new. Like I stated, it is in my office/studio and has only been moved once or twice and that was to the living room. It is plugged into a high quality surge protector and is unplugged when not in use. I have only had it 1 1/2 years. To have this kind of an issue and have to send it for repair when I have taken such good care of it is frankly infuriating. I see absolutely no reason for this other than shoddy workmanship or components. I will take this as a lesson learned. I paid $700 for an amp and pedal board that worked for a short period of time. It is not worth spending additional money or time to send it off for repair in hopes that I might get another 1 1/2 years of use from it. Heaven forbid if I was ever to actually use it like most people use their amps. Very disappointed. Again, thank you for your response.

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry you feel that way. It doesn't really matter if it sits in one spot or gets dragged all over town to gigs. Unfortunately electronic components do fail, and sometimes after a relatively short period of time. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are shoddy. If it never happened, manufacturers wouldn't NEED a warranty at all.

If you ever change your mind, we will be be glad to get up and running for you. Just let us know.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

lexirex001

Post by lexirex001 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks Roger. I will say it was very nice while it lasted. I really enjoyed the amp and the Sanpera II. Unfortunately, my experience has been that problems like this with electronics are due to poor components or workmanship. Once a problem like this happens with electronics there is a domino effect. Agreed on the warranty. But there again...warranties are nice if you never have to use them. The warranty also does not cover my time or shipping or disassembly to ship only the electronics section. Simply not worth it. Again, I really liked the amp and pedal and really enjoyed it when it was working. Very disappointed that it would require work already, even under warranty. I simply do not believe that to be acceptable for a quality product. Just my $.02.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 am

I'm usually in the market for Vypyr parts? wanna sell the chassis cheap?

Glen
Maryland, USA