What beyond Vypro?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
j_fury68

Re: What beyond Vypro?

Post by j_fury68 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:17 pm

bgh wrote:
GaryMadore wrote:
dalrymple wrote:I dont care if an amp model sounds like the original. It would be nice, but if a tone sounds good on its own, that's really all I care about, not the side by side comparison with a classic amp model. Designate them by # instead of name. Does #6 sound good or not? #12?
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I can't even remember what most of my presets started out as anymore. I just play A1, A2, A3, A4....

Cheers!

Gary
I agree with both of you. I cannot speak of the Vypro, but I can of the original series. Many of the amps that the original Vypyr series modeled were not amps that I had either played or knew. I never had a Dual Rec, or a Krank, or .... so I could not compare the models to them. I did have a plexi though. While the Vypyr was good, it did not "nail" the plexi tone. It was definitely ballpark though.

I quickly came to realize the benefit of the models was not in each one correctly emulating its namesake, it was in the fact that with them simply being present, I had a good palette to choose from. Each clean sound was different than the others, and each had a use. The same with the red channels (on the right hand side of the dial).

When I think of "plexi", I don't think "Marshall" specifically. I think of what I can get out when I use that model.

To me, that was one of the biggest advantages of the Vypyr. It presented you with an amazing palette of tones.
I too have not owned or played the models emulated on the vypyrs, but as stated, the amps a have a great palette to work from. This is ever so true of the pro. Now you can take a little of amp "A" and mix in a whole lot of amp "B" and make a brand new to you sound! Really cool.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am

I don't own the Pro yet, Lord willing.

It would be good to run a wet / dry system with it. Best tone with effects I
ever got.

To my knowledge, it can run 4 different amps at once, so its just about there.
2x12 version with stereo outs?? :idea: 2x12 mono, add the ext 2x12 cab now stereo?? :idea:
Or just a line out of just your basic amp model no effects??? :idea:

Like others say, add the tube element back....or not and add the above,
and this would be some massive tone. Just my opinion.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 am

Hopefully you get a Pro, but when you do, realize its main weakness - the modulation effects.

Chorus/flanger/phaser are WAY too extreme, and no way to add them as a subtle effect - even turned down as much as possible, they sound like a Sci-Fi effect.

it would be nice if this was addressed in a future update (LOL, not holding my breath), but as it stands they are pretty much unusable. i got a Digitech RP360XP to add to the effects loop, which also frees up the model bay slots.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 am

Landshark wrote:Chorus/flanger/phaser are WAY too extreme, and no way to add them as a subtle effect.
Same with the VIP2. To me, all rack effects are unusable.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am

I am in this camp too with the modulation effects. On VIP 2, to me, they are good (chorus and phasor)....just too strong.
Also a difference in volume from the effects being used and not.

Its a bit of drag, seeing how much the foot controllers cost.
I was hoping not to have to use pedals in front of the amp, but went back to my mxr phase 90
in front of the amp.

Add the ability to deep edit in the future, and know the order and placement of
the effects too.

Correct me if I am wrong, are not our amps just software??
Why can't they do some adjustments and allow us to download them??
They have the master file or code for the software, it can't be hard to go into it and
lower the value number on the modulation effects?

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am

Landshark wrote:Hopefully you get a Pro, but when you do, realize its main weakness - the modulation effects.

Chorus/flanger/phaser are WAY too extreme, and no way to add them as a subtle effect - even turned down as much as possible, they sound like a Sci-Fi effect.

it would be nice if this was addressed in a future update (LOL, not holding my breath), but as it stands they are pretty much unusable. i got a Digitech RP360XP to add to the effects loop, which also frees up the model bay slots.

Landshark, do you use the 4 cable method with your Pro?? If you do, do you experience any loss in your core tone of
the original patch?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 pm

vypyrtrails wrote:I don't own the Pro yet, Lord willing.

ever got.

2x12 version with stereo outs?? :idea: 2x12 mono, add the ext 2x12 cab now stereo?? :idea:

I currently have the Pro side by side with a tube 60. The tubes don't have any advantage over the tone. The Pro just sounds better. Not that the T60 is a slouch by any means. I'd like to do a comparison video but need a decent camera. Bottom line is the pro doesn't need tubes.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

bgh

Post by bgh » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:04 am

j_fury68 wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:I don't own the Pro yet, Lord willing.

ever got.

I currently have the Pro side by side with a tube 60. The tubes don't have any advantage over the tone. The Pro just sounds better. Not that the T60 is a slouch by any means. I'd like to do a comparison video but need a decent camera. Bottom line is the pro doesn't need tubes.
If you ever do a comparison, I would love to see it. My reasons for staying with the Tube 60 have never been because I thought the Pro was a bad amp. I was pleased with how the Tube 60 sounds when I got it, and I am still pleased with how it sounds. My whole "thing" with the Pro was my getting totally bummed by Peavey based somewhat on how they treated the original Vypyr lines, and even more so on how the treated those of us they contacted for ideas concerning the Pro. I know it can be considered small of a person to hold onto something like this. And, believe me, I am not trying to be a jerk (my friends tell me it comes naturally). But Peavey's reaction was a hard one to swallow. The subsequent delays and irregularities in pricing simply turned me away from the Pro line even more.

I actually am quite excited for those of you who have actually found them. (None of our local music stores even carry Peavey any more). It does sound like a respectable amp. Looking at it objectively (from a viewpoint of "what would you do if you just now found out about the Pro"), I would probably consider the Pro as a possibility, but I am not sure it would still do everything I want it to do. And, that is not a knock on the Pro. I mean, right now, the Tube 60 does everything I need of a modeler. Some of the extra features on the Pro are not those that would prompt me to replace the Tube 60.

If Peavey can stay focused and get their marketing and advertising for the Pro straightened out (for example, I noticed the Pro was not even included in the latest big-box store catalogs I got in the mail) they have a chance to make an substantial impact on the modeling market.

There are a few things they do need to do with the Pro:
]
1. Change the image of the Pro. Even though it is named "Pro", I think it is still considered a lower-tier modeling amp by the masses.
2. Change some aspects of the UI such that users can upload/download complete settings.
3. Produce a "head" version of the amp. Get that footprint down even smaller.
4. Consider producing a "floor" version. I know the market is crowded. That's why I say "consider" it.

Some of these may sound kind of weird. But, notice they don't touch what the amp does. They impact the platform and the UI. Consider this, if the Pro had been introduced as a head (and not a combo), and it was marketed in such a way as to its being on the same level as some higher-tier modelers, I think the reaction and acceptance of the amp would have been somewhat different.

These sorts of changes would allow them to play on the same field as the "big boys". One of the problems is the window of opportunity is passing somewhat quickly.

All in all, Peavey made some very cool and very good modelers. All of the lines are decent. But, in general, the market still views them as entry-level modelers (yes, even with the name "Pro"). For the line to really take off, Peavey needs to address that misconception.

Ah, time for another cup of coffee!
Have a good one, guys.

And, as always, thanks for reading.
Last edited by bgh on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:00 am

vypyrtrails wrote:Landshark, do you use the 4 cable method with your Pro?? If you do, do you experience any loss in your core tone of
the original patch?
no, the RP360xp does not do 4CM - i just use it in the loop for chorus/flanger/phaser. got it used for $100.

i previous had the Digitech GSP1101 rack unit 4CM into a XXX tube head. Vyper Pro replaced them. i woud have kept the GSP1101, but the floor controller was as big as the Sanpera Pro, and i didn't want 2 giant pedal boards. If you're looking for 4CM and don't mind a room full of floor controllers (LOL), the GSP1101 is great - some nice amp models in addition to good effects. i had a real 6505+ head for a short time, and i liked the GSP's 5150 model better!

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

[/quote] 4. Consider producing a "floor" version. I know the market is crowded. That's why I say "consider" it.[/quote]

A floor processor like the GT 10....

That would rule, if they would put more time in on getting the effects and such right. Also provide a line of
cabs with the speakers that they already have. Since they make amps, how about a stereo power amp too!

I think that might be the reason they don't make a head version now. You need the speakers / making
cabs designed for the head. I tried a V30 in my Vip 2, and it lost some of the nuances in the tone itself
on gain and high gain settings.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Landshark wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:Landshark, do you use the 4 cable method with your Pro?? If you do, do you experience any loss in your core tone of
the original patch?
no, the RP360xp does not do 4CM - i just use it in the loop for chorus/flanger/phaser. got it used for $100.

i previous had the Digitech GSP1101 rack unit 4CM into a XXX tube head. Vyper Pro replaced them. i woud have kept the GSP1101, but the floor controller was as big as the Sanpera Pro, and i didn't want 2 giant pedal boards. If you're looking for 4CM and don't mind a room full of floor controllers (LOL), the GSP1101 is great - some nice amp models in addition to good effects. i had a real 6505+ head for a short time, and i liked the GSP's 5150 model better!
I had to look up what the RP360xp was. Heck, I was hoping not to have use pedals anymore. :x
What we do for tone!

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
I had to look up what the RP360xp was. Heck, I was hoping not to have use pedals anymore. :x
What we do for tone!
yeah, if Peavey would fix the effect levels on the mod effects, the Vypy6r Pro would be pretty much standalone for me.

the RP360xp is fairly small, and it frees up the Vypyr Pro model bays (they make a smaller one without the expression pedal - the RP360, but i wanted a dedicated Whammy pedal :D ). for $100, it was less than the cost of a single pedal. also has a drum machine and can do USB out with cab sim. don't know if you can load custom IR's like the GSP1101 ... i haven't messed with it much beyond using it for modulation effects ....

stratpurist

Post by stratpurist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 am

IMHO, what the pro really lacks is an external speaker jack and an optional vypro 2x12 and/or 4/12 external cabinet for those live situations where I need to hear myself over the bass stack. yes, many of us have added a jack to a vypyr and VIP but, on the PRO it should be standard. again, IMHO
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210