It's been a couple of months since the last post on this thread. Here's an update regarding activity in trying to solve the problem with the aux/headphones/USB facility on the amp: I ordered replacement sockets for the PCB from Barnes and Mullins, the UK distributor for Peavey. The sockets which they sent (and which are listed as the correct replacements for the Vypyr Tube 120) didn't fit. Their footprint enabled them to be soldered to the PCB, however they have a larger profile than the original sockets would have had. They sit higher off the board than the originals would have. This causes the USB socket to be displaced to the right in the chassis hole, creating a gap to the left. Also, the outside diameter of the socket holes was slightly too big to enable them to come through the holes in the chassis. I reduced that diameter slightly with light filing so that the socket holes went through the chassis holes. Even with the displacement of the USB port, I connected the PCB and powered up the amp. The problem remained, i.e. the speakers didn't cut out when headphones were connected and the headphones were microphonic.
I went back to Barnes and Mullins (who have been very helpful throughout) and explained that the replacement sockets they sent couldn't have been those originally fitted to the aux/headphones PCB on this model of Vypyr. They then checked with Peavey U.S. about availability of a replacement PCB for the amp, and were advised that the PCB is available as a spare. I ordered one and waited six weeks for it to arrive. When I received it, it was immediately apparent that it wasn't going to work. The sockets fitted to it are exactly the same as those previously sent to me as replacements. Therefore, the board won't fit to the chassis for the reasons described above. Also, the new PCB came with two retaining brackets. The original PCB has only one. I tried the original PCB retaining screw in one of the brackets on the new PCB. The screw thread is slightly larger than the thread in the bracket.
My conclusion is that there's no way in which the sockets and PCB which I've received as spares are the same as those which would have been fitted to the Series 1 Vypyr Tube 120 amps. I'm guessing that the original PCB's were unique to this model and that later PCB's were made to fit a greater range of Vypyr amps including solid state models. I believe that Barnes and Mullins are going to approach Peavey U.S. with one last throw of the dice as to whether there's any possibility of the correct PCB being out there somewhere. Worst case scenario, I have an amp with no headphones/aux facility. As it's such a great amp and works fine otherwise I can live with it, but it would be good to have it functioning at a hundred per cent.
A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Having exhausted the possibilities relating to the faults with the speaker mute, headphones output and aux input, I sent the amp off to a company here in the UK which was recommended to me. I just had the amp back and everything is now working perfectly. Turns out the problems had nothing to do with firmware, sockets or the PCB for the phones/aux function. The amp was apparently a demo model-built pre-production. At an early stage in the amp's life, a mod had been carried out to rectify some kind of damage, possibly from the amp having been in an environment where a fire had occurred. The amp was then sold off as was, presumably with the faults as when I bought it. Seems that the mod/repair had caused the problems which I was experiencing. The tech who fixed it for me did a great job. Thanks for all the advice during the course of this thread.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests