Vypyr 30 mod help please!

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Rockman64

Vypyr 30 mod help please!

Post by Rockman64 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I've gotten the thing tore apart and very close to figuring out what to do next......I'm very new to this kinda stuff,I'm wanting to do away with the power amp part of the vypyr, I believe it's the transformer that's hooked to the bottom of the enclosure, can this thing be done away with? If not I'm going to have to mount it inside the vypyr enclosure, I think it will be fine in there.....so please any help would be very appreciative, not ready to blow this thin up yet.lol

Enzo

Re: Vypyr 30 mod help please!

Post by Enzo » Sat May 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Um, the big metal block thing is the power transformer, it is the thing the power comes from for the whole thing. You can't get rid of it.

Why do you want to "get rid of the power amp"? If all you want to do is make the speaker silent, in a combo just pull the two wires off the speaker and tape them so they cannot touch anything - instant silence. If it is a head, just don't plug a speaker into it.

If you are trying to turn teh amp chassi sinto a preamp only, eleminating the few parts of the powr amp won't get you any room back.

Rockman64

Post by Rockman64 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for replying back,ok I'm wanting to make the vypyr a rack mount so I can put it in a rockman enclosure I have,I have all the Tom sholz of Boston rockman gear,it's all fed thru a power mixer for recording,I was wanting to do away with the power amp part of the vypyr and run it thru the power amp mixer as well.then I'd have my whole setup in 1 head.the rockman gear is all rack mount stuff.
Attachments
This is my rig
This is my rig
20170501_015151.jpg (3.91 MiB) Viewed 2540 times

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Enzo wrote:Um, the big metal block thing is the power transformer, it is the thing the power comes from for the whole thing. You can't get rid of it.

Why do you want to "get rid of the power amp"? If all you want to do is make the speaker silent, in a combo just pull the two wires off the speaker and tape them so they cannot touch anything - instant silence. If it is a head, just don't plug a speaker into it.

If you are trying to turn teh amp chassi sinto a preamp only, eleminating the few parts of the powr amp won't get you any room back.
He wants to make a rack mount vypyr. Getting rid of the transformer can be done. You have to figure out exactly what DC power the front end of the amp needs/DSP and forward, then you can get rid of the power amp all together and probably power it with a wall wart. I'd look at the prints the Glen Colbert has collected on his site. By the way please be ware the the caps on the power amp can store lethal voltages. Be careful :mrgreen:
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Rockman64

Post by Rockman64 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks....would it be OK to mount the transformer inside the chassis, i believe there might be room.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Rockman64 wrote:Thanks....would it be OK to mount the transformer inside the chassis, i believe there might be room.
Shouldn't hurt a thing.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.