vypyr troubleshooting

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
stratpurist

vypyr troubleshooting

Post by stratpurist » Wed May 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I just obtained a vypyr 75 that does not work. I was told it died within a week of purchase and has been in storage since. it looks like new.
anyway, I requested a schematic but all I got was the power amp. fair enough b/c I don't see anything on the digital board that I could test or repair.
All the votages are good and the speaker give a bump when turned off but no lights. I suspect the digital board.

I have a functioning 75 and a 30 but I am loathe to swap out their boards for fear of killing one of them. Does the vypyr 15 use the same digital board b/c I could pick one up pretty cheaply. thanks.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

lionheart

Re: vypyr troubleshooting

Post by lionheart » Wed May 10, 2017 4:26 pm

The Vypyr 15 does use the same DSP board which works in all models of the first series VYPYR with the following provisos.
1 - It would need a 6 pin MIDI connector soldered in to enable Sanpera / MIDI control
2 - A SMD resistor needs to be soldered in to the DSP board to enable MIDI usage - I forget exactly where and what value - G Cobert (forum member) may know.
If you don't need MIDI the Vypyr 15 DSP board will work OK without the above mods - I've done it myself.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Wed May 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Swap out the boards just to see if it gets things working.

If it is a bad DSP board you might want to send it to me to see if a reflash will fix it (.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 pm

My question is - does Peavey still support their products.
Meaning does Peavey support the initial Vypyr line.
If its not something simple, I'd tend to think, send it back to Peavey.

My first Vypyr is the 75 model, which I really like. I just liked the open back cabinet and sounds I could get out of it.
Its in the closet right now. A great amp imo.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks gcolbert for your great Vypyr support web page!
Very nice.