Sanpera 2 vs Sanpera. Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Aartsbok

Sanpera 2 vs Sanpera. Pro

Post by Aartsbok » Wed May 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi people,

I just got myself the vypyr pro. Still working things out on how to use it correctly. I got it in B stock at a very VERY good price while still getting waranty from a retailer, I guess it's a fixed model but it looks brand new... about a year ago those amps were over 969euro's, about 1050 usd! they've gone back now to 799 street price and 699 at the huge retailers (like thomann.de and musicstore.de) I got the B-stock model at 428 euro's, less then 500 usd.

Now, I allready own a peavey vypyr VIP3 and sanpera 2 foot pedal.

The Sanpera Pro is hard to find where I live (Belgium) and incredibly expensive, about 369 euro's which (i could be mistaken) roughly translates to 400 usd.

So I wonder, are the differences worth the price of purchase or do you think the sanpera 2 will do just fine? Since I allready own it with the vypyr VIP3...

I'd keep the pro at home and move the VIP3 to the rehearsal room so our lead guitarst doesn't have to bring his head and cab all the time, he just needs one clean sound and good distortion otherwise, I think he can do well without the pedal during rehearsals. So if it's worth it I might just keep the sanpera 2 at home and use it with the pro.

On the other hand... if the sanpera pro is really worth paying the price, then our lead guitarist will have a whole lot to play with while writing music.

And last but not least...how is the tuner on the sanpera pro? on the sanpera 2 it was hardly usable, constantely swinging left to right... on the pypyr pro amp I have been able to use the tuner in acceptable fashion just by reading from the amp itself.

I use 2 jackson RR24's one RR24m with bare unfinished maple neck for that sharp sounding shreddings and one RR24 ltd, with the yellow bevels and the reversed sharkies on ebony fretboard with white binding, sounds WAY heavier, way more bass i that one, neck is also thicker, more like les paul thick...

But I am conciddering the AT-200 guitar just to fiddle with alternate tunings. those aren't very expensive but for some reason have become incredibly rare in musicstores.

I read that the vypyr pro handles actives way better then the VIP, can't comment on that, I actually got quite decent tones out of the vip3.

Thanks for your answers folks :)

tiger j

Re: Sanpera 2 vs Sanpera. Pro

Post by tiger j » Thu May 25, 2017 1:39 pm

For the most part, due to having more switches, Sanpera PRO is going to give you full functionality at your feet without any toggling while, with the Sanpera II, you have to toggle between two sets of functions utilizing the same set of switches. I believe in Sanpera II you toggle between calling up presets/patches and controlling effects in the loaded patch... Sanpera PRO has independent switches for all of these functions.

If you can manage with Sanpera II, then just keep an eye out for a bargain on a used Sanpera PRO when one comes around.
Warmoth Custom-Build Strat (DiMarzio Fast Track/Chopper/Mo'Joe)
Fender American Special Strat
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/ Bigsby
Fernandes Nomad Deluxe
Peavey Vypyr PRO 100 w/ Sanpera PRO
Fender Mustang GT40
Peavey KB3 w/ TC Helicon Voicelive