Bought a used VIP-2; do I have the OEM speaker?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
yoster

Bought a used VIP-2; do I have the OEM speaker?

Post by yoster » Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi all,

First of all, very, very excited to be here. Learning the guitar has been a lifelong dream and at the age of 34 I'm finally making it a reality!

Anyway, I just picked up a second-hand Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 (from guitar center.) I currently have a VIP-1 but the tone (via my very, very minimal guitar playing ability,) just wasn't sitting well with me. I blamed the 8" speaker. So far, this VIP-2, to me, sounds WAY better.

Upon inspection, I notice that this VIP-2 I have doesn't have the "VIP" sticker on the back of the speaker magnet like my VIP-1 does. As such, I'm curious if the previous owner swapped the speaker out. The other possibility is that the sticker was simply removed, which I suspect is the case since the amp looks in new condition.

Here are the only two numbers that exist on the back of the magnet. If anyone else has removed their VIP sticker on the VIP-2, could you kindly confirm if either of these numbers matches what you have?

9E51-0120-0316-00
LWC-0310A-001R

rogue777

Re: Bought a used VIP-2; do I have the OEM speaker?

Post by rogue777 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:10 pm

I own a VIP-2, bought it new.
The speaker in the amp has the Peavey Vyper VIP-2 label on the back, 60 watts, 8 ohms, 12", black metal frame.
And on the label it says speaker number 30777504. I can't see any other numbers on the speaker frame.

It could be that your label was removed?

yoster

Re: Bought a used VIP-2; do I have the OEM speaker?

Post by yoster » Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 am

Yeah that's exactly what I think happened, but was hoping someone else also had their sticker removed to tell me what's stamped on the back of the magnet itself.