Vypyr 120 No signal, crackling, fizzing then loud constant noise

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Syd.B

Vypyr 120 No signal, crackling, fizzing then loud constant noise

Post by Syd.B » Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

Hey forum dwellers!

I hope there's still users on here that can help me out with a peavey Vypyr 120 combo i've owned since early 2012. working fine, until 2014.
The issue is that I can power up the amp, all valves seem to be glowing equally. I allow it to warm up, plug in. No sound.
I'm then immediately introduced to a short 1-2 second period of crackling/fizzing/popping noise, to which then a huge wall of sound is announced that will stay until i turn it off. As in, whatever I do with the 2 guitars I have plugged in and 2 different cables, it just keeps doing this.

Something to note, I've had this problem for almost 3 years now and I remember once last year, I tried to trouble shoot it, I noticed the input jack would spin loads. So I opened it up, and checked to see if everything was still connected to the PCb that holds the input jack, and a wire connection that connects this PCB to the main PCB inside where all the tone/effect pots are connected to. It all seems A-ok from what I can see. So I just tightened up the nut holding the jack into the panel. For a few minutes, I was actually able to use the amp! I could flick through the presets on my sanpera no problem. The difference in turning on, was I initially disconnected the sanpera 2 pedal. Booted up, plugged in, and made sure I was on a clean amp preset with very little distortion/gain. Then, I tried to use something heavy, man I was able to use the overdrives and other effects, any distorted amp preset and it was fine! until it just started fizzing and popping on me again, this lasts for 2 seconds then I'm introduced again to this wall of loud noise that completely cancels out my guitar. No signal, just loud noise!

Before I trek to Putney in london to get this fixed. is there perhaps anyone here that could shed some light? is this a valve issue? The amp has hardly been used for gigging and has been a bedroom amp (My neighbours hate us anyway, I always keep it at a tolerable volume, considerate and all)

I'm at a loss here. I've been doing a music tech course at university, and I'm about to jump onto my final year! I'm doing a post rock/metal album for my final major project and I'd love to move away from Guitar Rig 5 because i would love to implement the recording techniques I've learnt over the years into this album. I spent roughly 550 GBP on this baby and truth be told, I've hardly used it!

Thanks ya'll

Syd

rogue777

Re: Vypyr 120 No signal, crackling, fizzing then loud constant noise

Post by rogue777 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 am

That could be a tough one,,to fix. The fact that you get this wall of sound, could we say the amp is working,,,at least some sound.
So, the issue appears when you plug in the guitar? And the amp is stable without plugging in a guitar?
All the leds are on and it does the power-on routine.

Since you had the issue with the input jack before, the thing spinning. It could be something with the input assembly,,needs replacement.
A visual check is an excellent thing to do, although sometimes you can't see the problem. Yes, check for any loose connections and broken solder traces in the amp, if you can see the solder connections on the PC bd,,,tube area.

Bringing the amp for repair is a path to take, unless you want to go on issue history and replace the input connector/assembly.
Its probably not just a simple jack, as you say it has a PC bd with it. You'd need the Peavey part no for the whole input assembly
I'm really guessing here, trying to base decisions on your past history of the amp.
Last edited by rogue777 on Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu May 25, 2017 11:11 am

Series 1 Vypyrs are not do it yourself fixers. If you value the amp and want to keep it, Putney. YMMV, but not really. Get the dang thing fixed by a pro, assuming it can be fixed. You are not that guy.
Dalrymple

Syd.B

Post by Syd.B » Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 am

rogue777 wrote:Bringing the amp for repair is a path to take, unless you want to go on issue history and replace the input connector/assembly.
Its probably not just a simple jack, as you say it has a PC bd with it. You'd need the Peavey part no for the whole input assembly
I'm really guessing here, trying to base decisions on your past history of the amp.
Hey rogue777, thanks for the reply! I believe i have the correct part number. Peavey no longer have support in the EU for these amps but i managed to call up a Peavey parts supplier and they recommended I try replace the part myself. It doesn't look to be so simple though, so I may take up their second recommendation which is to go to Guitar Aid in Putney to get it seen to. I've ordered a Midi to USB cable to see if I can reset the firmware/update it and see if that does anything. If not, i'm definitely taking it to a professional to see to it.

Syd.B

Post by Syd.B » Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 am

dalrymple wrote:Series 1 Vypyrs are not do it yourself fixers. If you value the amp and want to keep it, Putney. YMMV, but not really. Get the dang thing fixed by a pro, assuming it can be fixed. You are not that guy.
Dalrymple
Cheers Dalrymple, I think it's probably best I do. I do value it, it has a great sound and plenty of effects to keep me going until I can afford a 2x12 and head for a pedalboard set up. But until then, this is the thing that I need up and running right now. There's a renown amp repairs company closer to me by Angel in London. Going to call them up tomorrow and see if it's at all possible to get it seen to tomorrow.

I just pray it's nothing bad, It's been through some travel, but nothing crazy.

Thanks man