Boss Katana anyone?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
godoy.rafa

Boss Katana anyone?

Post by godoy.rafa » Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Has anyone tried the new Boss Katana series amps? I believe they use the same approach as our Vypyrs - analog pre and power amps with digital effects in between.
I wonder if they are an evolution, or more of the same?

j_fury68

Re: Boss Katana anyone?

Post by j_fury68 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Played on a 100 watt for about 15 minutes. I had it on the lowest wattage mode (can't remember what that is). Found it underwhelming. May be a better experience to use with the software and maybe the foot switch. Sound quality wasn't as good as 1st gen vypyrs I have played at the same volume.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

treewiz

Post by treewiz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 am

Well I traded my Vypyr Pro and Sampera Pro for a Katana 112 100 watt combo and a 100 watt Head and I got to say that I love them much better then the Pro. Just played my first gig with the head and it was very inspiring to me. The amp feal is just over the top for me with this solid state head. I have owned just about all of the modeling units ever made along with tube amps and I currently own an AXE-FX II and an AXE 8 which are awesome but these Katanas for the money kick ass. That is just my opinion. I really liked the tube series Vypyrs, but they just had too many flaws with the noise gates and quirks.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm

treewiz wrote:Well I traded my Vypyr Pro and Sampera Pro for a Katana 112 100 watt combo and a 100 watt Head and I got to say that I love them much better then the Pro. Just played my first gig with the head and it was very inspiring to me. The amp feal is just over the top for me with this solid state head. I have owned just about all of the modeling units ever made along with tube amps and I currently own an AXE-FX II and an AXE 8 which are awesome but these Katanas for the money kick ass. That is just my opinion. I really liked the tube series Vypyrs, but they just had too many flaws with the noise gates and quirks.
What would you say you like better with Katana vs the Pro?
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Only Katana 100 and Head can use the 4 channel switch pedal right? Deal breaker for me, as I rather buy the 50 but 2 channel switch pedal is not enough...

willyjacksonjs22-7

Post by willyjacksonjs22-7 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:36 am

For metal tone, vypyr hands down. Boss better for clean and other genres. i dont like their distortion. but yeah i wish some features that katana has where on the vypyr. peavey and blackstar are the only modelling amps out there with the best high gain. boss , fender mustang and line 6 just push to much money to be in front line.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm

The above post sums it up the best by willyjacksonjs22-7, about tone and features.

I also strongly agree with treewiz about "I feel whatever works for each of us is our own choice."

If I may add to that, find a tone or tones that inspire you :!:
Last edited by vypyrtrails on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

treewiz

Post by treewiz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:15 pm

j_fury68 wrote:
treewiz wrote:Well I traded my Vypyr Pro and Sampera Pro for a Katana 112 100 watt combo and a 100 watt Head and I got to say that I love them much better then the Pro. Just played my first gig with the head and it was very inspiring to me. The amp feal is just over the top for me with this solid state head. I have owned just about all of the modeling units ever made along with tube amps and I currently own an AXE-FX II and an AXE 8 which are awesome but these Katanas for the money kick ass. That is just my opinion. I really liked the tube series Vypyrs, but they just had too many flaws with the noise gates and quirks.
What would you say you like better with Katana vs the Pro?
The real tube feel using your guitar volume knob. I can use the Lead channel and turn my volume knob down to get a nice fat clean sound without the funny artifacts I got with the Vypyr Pro. The Katana just feels more natural and organic to me. But to each their own with all guitar gear, I feel whatever works for each of us is our own choice. I wish that the Vypyr Pro had the Katana's feel and sound because I relly liked the Pro's layout and the Sampera Pro's layout, minus the lousy tuner in the Vypyr, too bad!

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30 am

The truth is that Peavey abandoned the Vypyrs while other manufacturers are improving their technology. Can you imagine Vypyr preamps with Katana Effects? Would be awesome.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I still think the Pro has better over all tone. It would be cool if someone with good camera stuff would do a shoot out. Tone King perhaps?

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 pm

j_fury68 wrote:I still think the Pro has better over all tone. It would be cool if someone with good camera stuff would do a shoot out. Tone King perhaps?
Ok j_fury68....I maybe stepping into it..what the hec right.. :mrgreen:

Don't think its fair for the Katana, he did not use the 100 watt version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R8IC8QNUV8

Heres this on behalf of the Katana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMM5LaCSHw

So I'll throw this against that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsnc3pLfrSw

:o I gotta make this fun: https://youtu.be/-S_dBTK9Boo?t=14 :shock: psst..he said deep editing :lol: :oops: :lol:

No he didn't.....Yes he did :!: https://youtu.be/AxAEHdFtWKM?t=212 :x :lol: 8) :lol:

Enjoy your tone, no matter how you get it, JUST GET IT! :wink:

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:19 pm

vypyrtrails wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:I still think the Pro has better over all tone. It would be cool if someone with good camera stuff would do a shoot out. Tone King perhaps?
Ok j_fury68....I maybe stepping into it..what the hec right.. :mrgreen:

Don't think its fair for the Katana, he did not use the 100 watt version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R8IC8QNUV8

Heres this on behalf of the Katana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMM5LaCSHw

So I'll throw this against that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsnc3pLfrSw

:o I gotta make this fun: https://youtu.be/-S_dBTK9Boo?t=14 :shock: psst..he said deep editing :lol: :oops: :lol:

No he didn't.....Yes he did :!: https://youtu.be/AxAEHdFtWKM?t=212 :x :lol: 8) :lol:
Enjoy your tone, no matter how you get it, JUST GET IT! :wink:
To each there own liking. I never tried or heard a Katana but I listened to all the videos you posted. I know computer speakers do not compare to an amp but from I heard so far I have to side with j_fury68. :) :lol:
8) HAPPY DAYS:

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm

wmjones wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:
To each there own liking. I never tried or heard a Katana but I listened to all the videos you posted. I know computer speakers do not compare to an amp but from I heard so far I have to side with j_fury68. :) :lol:
I agree too, with the fury! and more selections at hand to choose from.

The backyard clip is very impressive for a 1x12 open back. Great projection of tone, more inline with what one might expect from a closed back
cab by itself. Whats also cool, is the tone does not sound flat. The tone has dimension to it.

In the first clip, among the comments being made, some felt the Pro would not cut through in the mix. If....this might be an issue, nothing a
good EQ pedal in the effects loop couldn't take care of.

stratpurist

Post by stratpurist » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I've been using and gigging with VYPYR 30 and 75 amps for 7 years. I also have the VIP 2 for mostly home use. I loaned the VIP 2 to my nephew while I was thinking about a Katana. SO MANY youtube demos and [glowing/paid] reviews I thought I should move to the Katana thinking new technology = better tones.
Meanwhile, the nephew buys a Katana MK II so when I went to pick up the VIP2 I did side by side comparisons. no contest IMHO - the Katana is thin and sterile compared to the VIP 2.

I noticed that Peavey was still promoting the VIP amps at winter NAMM (online videos - I wasn't there!). While I still love my VYPYRs, I look forward to a leap in technology in modeling amps. I'm pretty sure Katana is NOT that.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

barber76

Post by barber76 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:36 am

Long time owner of Vypyr Tube 60. Traded it in for Katana head ~1yr ago, because couldn’t stand built-in noise gate choking notes at a bedroom level, and because of all the online hype around Katana. Both amps were used (Katana still is) on almost daily basis.
In short, Katana is definitely not a leap in sound quality. Has its pros and cons.

Vypyr 60 pros:
  • Tube power section. It is a big thing. At gig volumes Katana screams, while Vypyr growled beautifully. For gigging metal on a budget, Vypyr wins hands down. For pure cleans, Vypyr is also good.
  • WYSIWYG interface on Vypys is amazing.
  • Built-in looper
Katana pros:
  • Easier to catch sound on the verge of breakup. Was very hard on Vypyr with its green/red channels. Maybe it is fixed on 2nd gen, I heard it has an orange channel, but never tried.
  • Software is great. I was not impressed by stock presets, but amount of tweaking via soft is more than you can ever need.
  • Power attenuator knob. 0.5W mode for bedroom practice is very convenient.
A few more things.
- Is store, 2nd gen Vypyrs felt fragile and plastic-y. Katanas felt much sturdier.
- As mentioned, fixed level built-in noise gate on 1st gen was driving me nuts. I dunno how it is on 2nd gen.
- On Vypyr, I had an issue with clicking sound when recording via USB. Turned out, it is a known hardware issue in first parties of Vypyrs, fixable by service reps, but wtf?

My overall impression of 1st gen Vypyr, is that Peavey guys had brilliant ideas, but they threw product to release without polishing it.