Things I've Tried With VIP 2

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
vypyrtrails

Things I've Tried With VIP 2

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Somethings I have tried with my VIP 2.
I know these are just my opinions

I had a V30, so I swapped out the original with that. Just for the sake of trying it.
I found the amp lost the subtle nuances that make it sound so good so I swapped it back
to the original speaker. I played the gain and high gain amps. (kind of expected this)

(original speaker back in)
While I had the back off, the cleans sound amazing. The amp sounds much louder than it
really is this way. If I was a clean player, I would keep the back off. The gain and high gain amps didn't sound
so good.

I put the back on and covered the opening. Clean sounds better with the back off, to me atleast.
The gain and high gain amps have a tad more punch, just a tad. Enough that I have kept it covered.

Going through the presets and effects, (now that I have the footcontroller) I'm a bit let down with the effects
part of the amp.

stratpurist

Re: Things I've Tried With VIP 2

Post by stratpurist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am

Here's one you haven't tried. My bass player has a 6 string fretless. when he comes over he uses the VIP2. I don't let him crank it too high but the sound is pretty darn good. even the LOW B string.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:12 am

stratpurist wrote:Here's one you haven't tried. My bass player has a 6 string fretless. when he comes over he uses the VIP2. I don't let him crank it too high but the sound is pretty darn good. even the LOW B string.
You got me there. I have yet to try the bass or acoustic through it.

I have heard the bass through it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=844FXNIJXeg
At the 5:20 mark they demo the bass. :o

Pretty cool. Doesn't hurt to be a Great player... :wink:

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks for the open-back cabinet idea vypyrtrails. I've never removed the rear panel. Seems like lots of combos have open back configurations.
I own the VIP 2 and use it clean with effects. I always wondered about the tuned rear panel, I thought it was Peavey's idea for improvement. As you say perhaps its better for different sounds, and you can get lots of sounds out of that amp. I like the open back sound of my Vypyr 75, also own, so one day I'll give it a try.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am

rogue777 wrote:Thanks for the open-back cabinet idea vypyrtrails. I've never removed the rear panel. Seems like lots of combos have open back configurations.
I own the VIP 2 and use it clean with effects. I always wondered about the tuned rear panel, I thought it was Peavey's idea for improvement. As you say perhaps its better for different sounds, and you can get lots of sounds out of that amp. I like the open back sound of my Vypyr 75, also own, so one day I'll give it a try.
Thanks. I believe the setting I had it on was delta slide. This is a gem of an amp. Peavey is adventurous for trying to accommodate
bass, acoustic, electric clean, gain, and high gain tones in one amp.

To me, the gain and high gain tone loses a bit when this amp is turned up. The clean tones however, shine.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:56 pm

I agree. There was a day when I thought I'd sell an amp out of my collection, and I thought of the Vip2, after all it wasn't too much money. So I plugged it in. It has so many features and really great tones. No way would I sell that amp. It is a gem. Despite techno issues or what people say on forums the Peavey Vypers/Vip are really good sounding amps.

In contrast, I think Fender is trying to catch up. I was just in Guitar Center checking out a GT Mustang. Fender is moving forward with technology with a new series with lots of amp models like the Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, etc. but they just don't sound as good as Peavey does. Imo, Peavey is still ahead with good tones, whatever amp model it is. The guitar amp music business is a tough field. I'll pay attention to Summer NAMM or whatever that trade show is.