VIP2 - best way to use with multi fx pedal?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
godoy.rafa

VIP2 - best way to use with multi fx pedal?

Post by godoy.rafa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm

So, bought myself a Zoom G5n.
Should I create a very clean patch (peavey classic, no fx, eq to 12 o'clock), or leave the amp in tuner mode?

Fastwind

Re: VIP2 - best way to use with multi fx pedal?

Post by Fastwind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 am

There are several ways to use external effects with your Vypyr VIP2.

The most commen way is to put the Zoom G5n in front of the amp. Then, like you said, make a clean patch without effects. The EQ doesn't have to be on 12 'o clock, but it's a good starting point. Make sure you don't use the 'Cab simulator' blok on your G5n patches, because you already use the amp's speaker. Then, adjust the VIP's EQ to your liking. (Don't forget to save the patch if you made adjustments!)

An other way is to connect your G5n to the 'AUX IN' input on your VIP. With this connection, you have to use the speaker simulator blok on the G5n, but you can still use the master volume on your VIP2. The advantage of this mode is, that you can use your favorite speaker simulator on the G5n. Also, if you're going to use the Drum module of the G5n, it's going to sound a lot better through the Aux input (when placed last in the Zoom's patch-chain, after the speaker sim).

Experiment to find what works best for you...

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 am

Fastwind wrote:There are several ways to use external effects with your Vypyr VIP2.

The most commen way is to put the Zoom G5n in front of the amp. Then, like you said, make a clean patch without effects. The EQ doesn't have to be on 12 'o clock, but it's a good starting point. Make sure you don't use the 'Cab simulator' blok on your G5n patches, because you already use the amp's speaker. Then, adjust the VIP's EQ to your liking. (Don't forget to save the patch if you made adjustments!)

An other way is to connect your G5n to the 'AUX IN' input on your VIP. With this connection, you have to use the speaker simulator blok on the G5n, but you can still use the master volume on your VIP2. The advantage of this mode is, that you can use your favorite speaker simulator on the G5n. Also, if you're going to use the Drum module of the G5n, it's going to sound a lot better through the Aux input (when placed last in the Zoom's patch-chain, after the speaker sim).

Dang Fastwind, I'm learning a bunch from you!! Thanks for sharing!

Are you a zoom g5 user also??

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 am

Fastwind wrote:There are several ways to use external effects with your Vypyr VIP2.

Thanks! To my ears, putting in front of the amp with a clean patch worked better than using the AUX IN, or tuner mode.

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 am

Yeah, the G5n in front of the amp gives you the most control, because you can still use the pre-amp controls of the VIP. The tube-like behaviour of the VIP is wat makes the difference here.

I have a G3XN, but I haven't tried it with my Vypyr. I use it mostly as a headphone-amp or for recording some ideas.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

I was thinking about replacing the VIP with a Bandit to use the Return input and have more volume...

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:03 pm

godoy.rafa wrote:I was thinking about replacing the VIP with a Bandit to use the Return input and have more volume...

Here is more food for thought taken from another thread, which Fastwind shared with me.
These are Fastwinds words below:

Vypyr Pro would give you the best results. It has everything the VIP has, plus A LOT more.
Look at the plus-points:
- You have the same great Vypyr-sound
- You can set-up the noise gate (or turn it off all together),
- you can put the effects in any order you like (exept for reverb & delay)
- you can even use multiple amps in parallel (ex.: a Peavey classic 30 + a Marshall Plexi) and blend them (choice of 27 amps!)
- the Vypyr Pro has an input-attenuator (so you can fine-tune the amp to your guitar's output)
- You can adjust the 'Resonance' (for floppy or tight bass)
- There is a build-in DI with speaker simulator, so you can send the signal straight to the PA without miking the amp
- An easy-to-use editor via computer
- An effects-loop
- For playing at home, you can dial down the power from 100 Watts all the way to 1Watt (it really works!)

Just something more to think about. :mrgreen:

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:49 am

I use the older brother Zoom G5. The best way to use it that I have found is through an effects loop (either modded vypyr or VIP or the stock loop in the pro). I only use the zoom effects. The vypyr amp models are superior in tone to the Zoom by a long stretch.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am

j_fury68 wrote:The vypyr amp models are superior in tone to the Zoom by a long stretch.
Well, I'm still creating some patches with the G5n, but I'm not sure about that statement. VIP2 has some pretty good amp models for sure, but I believe you can get better "overall" tones with the Zoom because it has better effects and flexibility... For example, Zoom Wah tones are better to my ears - VIP wah sounds bad.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
godoy.rafa wrote:I was thinking about replacing the VIP with a Bandit to use the Return input and have more volume...
Vypyr Pro would give you the best results. It has everything the VIP has, plus A LOT more.
Wish there was VYPYR Pro in Brazil! But they are not sold here.
Anyway, I heard that there's an annoying patch change delay in there, while the Zoom patch change delay is almost zero.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

I haven't tried the G5, but it looks like the same unit as the G5 with a few different fetures. G5 has the cool Z pedal and tube booster (which I never use). G5n has better foot Access to scroll functions and tap tempo, stuff like that. The drum machine sounds better on G5n. Looks like most of the same amp models. I haven't seen any indication that the amp models sound any better, but can vouch for the G5 higher gain models. They sound pretty terrible compared to even first gen Vypyr models. They are noisy (even with noise gate) and artificial. That being said, the zoom can push the Vypyr models to even more awesomeness when run through an effects loop. I'll never go back to using it in front of my amps.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:25 am

I have an old G5 AND a new G3XN, and I can honestly vouch for the amp-sims being A LOT better on the new G3n (or G5n).
Especially the cab-sims are really great! That's why I use the Zoom to record some of my demos.

BUT, for playing live there's nothing better than the Vypyr!
The Vypyrs react MUCH better to picking dynamics and guitar volume changes. It sounds much more organic at high volume than the Zoom processor.
Especially if you have an effects loop (like J_fury68) with the Zoom G5n as an extra effects unit, you're in heaven!

Having said that, I must also stress that the Vypyr pro is A LOT better sounding than the VIP series. I really believe if you buy only 1 amp in your carreer, it's got to be The Peavey Vypyr Pro. That amp (together with your favorite effects in the loop) is probably everything you'll ever need...

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am

Fastwind wrote:I have an old G5 AND a new G3XN, and I can honestly vouch for the amp-sims being A LOT better on the new G3n (or G5n).
Especially the cab-sims are really great! That's why I use the Zoom to record some of my demos.

BUT, for playing live there's nothing better than the Vypyr!
The Vypyrs react MUCH better to picking dynamics and guitar volume changes. It sounds much more organic at high volume than the Zoom processor.
Especially if you have an effects loop (like J_fury68) with the Zoom G5n as an extra effects unit, you're in heaven!

Having said that, I must also stress that the Vypyr pro is A LOT better sounding than the VIP series. I really believe if you buy only 1 amp in your carreer, it's got to be The Peavey Vypyr Pro. That amp (together with your favorite effects in the loop) is probably everything you'll ever need...

The Zoom G5n sounds good to me:
https://youtu.be/JnulnnqMDi4?t=165

I also like the G5. I really dig the tube boost.
https://youtu.be/NUZuhf2q7kY?t=551

Great additions to the tone on hand.

Fastwind and J_fury68, you don't miss the 4CM with your zooms??

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am

I'm thinking about getting a EHX Magnum 44 to use as a power amp and a cab 1x12 or 2x12...

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 pm

vypyrtrails wrote: Fastwind and J_fury68, you don't miss the 4CM with your zooms??
Not at all. You would only need the 4cm when you use pre-amp effects. If I use the Zoom, I would put it exclusively in the effects loop, so it doesn't kill the sensitivity and dynamics of the Vypyr's pre-amp. Like I said, I use the Zoom mostly for recording and silent practicing.
Normally, I put my TCElectronic Nova System in the loop, because it changes patches via midi. The Zoom doesn't have midi...

Also, the clips you provided are direct-recorded clips. They sound great because of the Zoom's cab-simulators (which are pretty good). Those Zoom distortions don't sound half as good through a real amp...