Vypyr VIP 1 Speaker Upgrade to 10" ?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
wmjones

Re: Vypyr VIP 1 Speaker Upgrade to 10" ?

Post by wmjones » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 pm

CharlesCCC wrote:Has anyone taken the VIP 1 appart and what does it entail?
Not sure of what you mean by entail. Could you elaborate on this?
8) HAPPY DAYS:

CharlesCCC

Post by CharlesCCC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 am

wmjones wrote:
CharlesCCC wrote:Has anyone taken the VIP 1 appart and what does it entail?
Not sure of what you mean by entail. Could you elaborate on this?
To clarify. Is the cabinet glued or can i take it apart with a Phillips screw driver

CharlesCCC

Post by CharlesCCC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 am

Just to update this subject...

I was able to take the back off of the cabinet to get to the speaker. A few phillips screws and you have full access.

Upgrading should be a cinch and it looks as if there is enough room to throw in a 10" if you desire and have the tools and skills.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am

CharlesCCC wrote:Just to update this subject...

I was able to take the back off of the cabinet to get to the speaker. A few phillips screws and you have full access.
Upgrading should be a cinch and it looks as if there is enough room to throw in a 10" if you desire and have the tools and skills.
The internal size of the cab effects the tone. You may be ok if you leave the back off however different speakers may sound better on some amp modals and not as good on other amp modals. You would also have to enlarge the speaker opening for full air movement of the 10" speaker.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:29 am

20170810_110401.jpg
20170810_110401.jpg (6.68 MiB) Viewed 3416 times
20170810_110225.jpg
20170810_110225.jpg (4.27 MiB) Viewed 3416 times
The Mod 10-35 fits fine. Only needed to modify one of the connectors going to the speaker and get some self tapping wood screws to mount it.
Didn't gain a lot from the mod. A little more bass and depth from the guitar. Nothing drastic. But I do notice significant vibration in the cabinet on the "G" note now when playing bass at higher volume. I imagine it's due to either an inability of the cabinet to handle the bass volume increase, or the way the cabinet port is tuned. The stock 8" speaker is much heavier than I anticipated, weighing in at almost as much as the 10".
It's a mod worth doing IMO, but don't expect drastic changes. They're subtle, but they are there.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Thats great that it fit in box itself!

You did not change the opening...does the new speaker overlap a tad on the wood frame?
I am no amp or speaker tech, yet I do believe the speaker needs to be able to move freely.

Might be what your hearing, when you play bass...no...

When you did your test playing, was the back panel on or off??

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 pm

wmjones wrote:
CharlesCCC wrote:Just to update this subject...

The internal size of the cab effects the tone. You may be ok if you leave the back off however different speakers may sound better on some amp modals and not as good on other amp modals. You would also have to enlarge the speaker opening for full air movement of the 10" speaker.
Sorry wmjones for the above post. :oops: My eyes went right to the pics, didn't see your post above them.

By answering CharlesCCC, you also covered the incoming post of the OP.

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:32 pm

The speaker does indeed overlap the cutout in the front panel. I had the back mounted during testing. I looked at the xmax on the speaker specifications and didn't suspect that the speaker movement would be impeded because of the speaker frame depth, but it could be hitting just enough to cause the vibration i've noted. I might need to come up with a way to enlarge the opening without damaging the front side cabinet mesh. If the mesh were easily removable, a router or jigsaw would work. I'll need to dwell on this a bit.