Vypyr VIP 1 Speaker Upgrade to 10" ?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Deemic

Vypyr VIP 1 Speaker Upgrade to 10" ?

Post by Deemic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Hey everyone,

I hope this hadn't been covered in another thread. I searched but didn't find anything.
Has anyone ever explored upgrading the stock 8" speaker to a 10" to gain some bass and overall volume before breakup?
I'm thinking of doing some cabinet modification, if necessary to make this upgrade.
I know it would've been much easier to just she'll out the extra money in the first place for a VIP2, but I've had the VIP1 for almost a year and already have a couple bigger combo amps, so I thought it might be a cool project to work on and maybe stretch the VIP1 capabilities a bit.

Any ideas, or point of reference for this type upgrade?

thunda

Re: Vypyr VIP 1 Speaker Upgrade to 10" ?

Post by thunda » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:08 pm

You might be able to fit a 10" Scorpion in there with little to no modification
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi,
THANKS!

Is the Scorpion full range to still be able to cover the bass guitar notes?

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm suprised no one has tried this previously. :?:

thunda

Post by thunda » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am

Deemic wrote:Hi,
THANKS!

Is the Scorpion full range to still be able to cover the bass guitar notes?
Yes, they were often used in bass cabs
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

CharlesCCC

Post by CharlesCCC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:28 pm

I have a VIP 1 as well and was thinking about this. (reason I joined)

I have yet to attempt to take my cabinet apart but would like to know how this project works out.

I think the amp has plenty of power to run a 10" and probably a 12" Celestion

ETA

If a 10" will not fit I am definitely going to try an upgrade speaker out. I think a dedicated guitar speaker would make the high gain amp channels sound better. I dont care if its sacrificing the bass and acoustic sounds the factory speaker was voiced for.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Deemic wrote:Hey everyone,

I hope this hadn't been covered in another thread. I searched but didn't find anything.
Has anyone ever explored upgrading the stock 8" speaker to a 10" to gain some bass and overall volume before breakup?
I'm thinking of doing some cabinet modification, if necessary to make this upgrade.
I know it would've been much easier to just she'll out the extra money in the first place for a VIP2, but I've had the VIP1 for almost a year and already have a couple bigger combo amps, so I thought it might be a cool project to work on and maybe stretch the VIP1 capabilities a bit.

Any ideas, or point of reference for this type upgrade?

If it was just about adding to the amp box itself to make room for the speaker, not so bad to do. You also have to figure in the sound hole will
not be correct, not to mention the grill cloth expense after readjusting the sound hole.

Another solution would be to have an amp tech put a line level out with a volume knob. I checked it out, $75.00 for parts and labor.

Now with the line out, you can send the signal to the effects return of your other amps that you own. This is a Win, Win,Win here for you.
Not only do you get to hear your Vip1 with different speakers, you have the other amp being used as a power amp, so you gain more power, and you retain the convenience of still having a small amp when thats all you need.

By going into the effects return of the other amp, you by pass all the front controls of that amp.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm

CharlesCCC wrote:I have a VIP 1 as well and was thinking about this. (reason I joined)

I have yet to attempt to take my cabinet apart but would like to know how this project works out.

I think the amp has plenty of power to run a 10" and probably a 12" Celestion

ETA

If a 10" will not fit I am definitely going to try an upgrade speaker out. I think a dedicated guitar speaker would make the high gain amp channels sound better. I dont care if its sacrificing the bass and acoustic sounds the factory speaker was voiced for.

This also is a great solution, especially if you have a guitar cab already. Note thou, the ohms on the cab have to match the Vips. I do not know
what ohm speaker is being used in the Vip1. A good amp tech will tell you if this can be done.

FWIW, I tried a Celestion V30 in my Vip2, and to me some of that mojo was lost, so I swapped it back.

I've been kicking around the idea of a 4x12 loaded with the speaker used in the Vypyr Pro. Its a Stephens Tru Sonic M12m 12". Peavey carries them,
yet they are out of stock. They cost like $63.00 a speaker. Not bad at all. Vypyr Pro users say they sound better than the Vips.
Last edited by vypyrtrails on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

If you may indulge me here... :oops:

There is still another option to try.

There is the line out to another amp (also can be used for recording), a speaker output jack and..... an effects loop!

The effects loop would be used like the line out. However, it would require that you have a stereo reverb pedal and a female to 2 male connection Y cable. Like: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP106
I used this on other rigs I had, using a Line 6 Verbzilla.
It would go like this:

Vip 1 effect send to female Y cable
2 male connections to the Verbzilla inputs
1 output of Verbzilla to Vip 1 effects return
2 output of Verbzilla to the other amps effects return
Note, the Verbzilla has to have power, but does not have to be turned on. Your just tapping off the signal to be sent to another place.

I share this with you because its a great option! Not only do you get a line out to send to another amp, when not using it this way, you
have an effects loop still to use. Win Win :!:

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:53 pm

I think I'm just going with a Jensen 8 ohm Mod 10-50 Or 10-70. I want to keep it simple. My other rig has multiple switching options already.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Deemic wrote:I think I'm just going with a Jensen 8 ohm Mod 10-50 Or 10-70. I want to keep it simple. My other rig has multiple switching options already.

Thats cool. Just sharing options of getting Vips to different speakers.

With that said, the Jensens sound interesting. I like there price. Always looking for a good alternate speaker to use.
Very interested to know how your Vip sounds with one.

Sound samples from Jensen:
https://www.jensentone.com/mod_series/mod_10_50

https://www.jensentone.com/mod_series/mod_10_70

Don't know what music you play, they both sound descent.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I have a series 1 Vypyr 15 that I put a Jensen Mod 50 into. Not a lot of options on the entry level vypyrs since they are 4 ohms. Not many 4 ohm 10" speakers available.
It works well with the modeling, is louder and has better bottom end than the little stocker. Pretty neutral overall. It is a definite upgrade. I play about 80% clean blues, swing, country, rockabilly and classic rock. No metal. All the models I use sound great. I use it for studio recording, guitar lessons and playing in the house. Even with the 10", still not enough to cut it at the jams. I know I tried, got drowned out.
Dalrymple

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 pm

dalrymple wrote:I have a series 1 Vypyr 15 that I put a Jensen Mod 50 into. Not a lot of options on the entry level vypyrs since they are 4 ohms. Not many 4 ohm 10" speakers available.
It works well with the modeling, is louder and has better bottom end than the little stocker. Pretty neutral overall. It is a definite upgrade. I play about 80% clean blues, swing, country, rockabilly and classic rock. No metal. All the models I use sound great. I use it for studio recording, guitar lessons and playing in the house. Even with the 10", still not enough to cut it at the jams. I know I tried, got drowned out.
Dalrymple

Way Cool to know this!

I have the Vip 2 and when I tried the speaker swap, I had the back panel off, and the cleans sounded just
AMAZING! Also it just seemed to fill the whole room, I got much more sound with the back panel off with the cleans. The metal tones did not
sound so good with the panel off.

I play about 60% metal 40% clean.

Deemic

Post by Deemic » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Hey, thanks for the links man.
Much appreciated.
Based on what was posted earlier, the old Vypyr 15 was a 4 ohm speaker stock, but I'm pretty sure the VIP 1 comes with an 8 ohm. I'll have to double check when I remove the stock speaker.
I'll update when I have some solid info and can confirm if the 10" will mount o.k. in the cabinet.

CharlesCCC

Post by CharlesCCC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Has anyone taken the VIP 1 appart and what does it entail?