Vypyr Tube 60. Can I get this thing to sound good?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
MrKooz

Vypyr Tube 60. Can I get this thing to sound good?

Post by MrKooz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey everybody! I'm a bedroom guitarist who purchased a used Vypyr Tube 60 almost 2 years ago. I got it for a steal because it had some weird sound issue and the seller had no motivation whatsoever to take it in to a shop and pay them. So I took a chance, low-balled him, bought it, and immediately took it to my local guitar shop, whom I trust. They determined it needed new tubes. So they replaced all of them, which didn't cost too much.

Though I tried plenty, and even read several posts on this site back then, I never got the amp to sound even close to any kind of old school rock/metal tone that I like (think Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Crue, Van Halen, etc.). Disappointing to say the least, as people seem to regard this amp as a great tool for that sort of thing.

So here I am, almost 2 years later and admittedly this amp has literally been sitting there collecting dust because I never use it. I've been playing my Fender Mustang solid state amp instead. Granted, I like the clean sounds I'm able to get out of the Tube 60, but does anyone have any suggestions for rock/metal settings? Anything I try just ends up sounding noisy and feedbacky. :|

j_fury68

Re: Vypyr Tube 60. Can I get this thing to sound good?

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:45 am

You should easily get into the realm of a good metal tone with this amp even at lower volumes. If you have a lot a hiss, feedback, and uncontrollable elements when trying to dial in high gain with no stomp boxes in front (rule out that it is not a guitar issue first) then you may have a defective board. I got a hold of a little 15 watt vypyr that was this way. Everything metal sounded harsh. It could do cleans, but some of the cleans would also very easily break up. You may need to check the encoder board and see if the dip switches are in the right configuration. These control voicing of the different amps because they use the same encoder and dsp boards with different power amps. You can really make a vypyr sound harsh or dull depending on how these are set. If this doesn't work, I would be looking for a small 15 or 30 watt to use as a donor for the dsp board and make the small changes on the board needed to get it up to Tube 60 specs. Encoder dip switches will appear as follows: S13, S12, S11, S10. For a stock T60 the only switch you want in the up position is S12.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

MrKooz

Post by MrKooz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 pm

j_fury68 wrote:You may need to check the encoder board and see if the dip switches are in the right configuration. Encoder dip switches will appear as follows: S13, S12, S11, S10. For a stock T60 the only switch you want in the up position is S12.
Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm assuming this is not going to be very self-explanatory once I start taking things apart.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:15 pm

MrKooz wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:You may need to check the encoder board and see if the dip switches are in the right configuration. Encoder dip switches will appear as follows: S13, S12, S11, S10. For a stock T60 the only switch you want in the up position is S12.
Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm assuming this is not going to be very self-explanatory once I start taking things apart.
It's not that bad. I think the switches are labeled. I happen to have a tube 60 I'm getting ready to post for sale. I'll snap a shot of it for you.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

MrKooz

Post by MrKooz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks. That would be helpful.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 pm

MrKooz wrote:Thanks. That would be helpful.
I may not get that done till Monday.

MrKooz

Post by MrKooz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Take your time. I'm not in any kind of hurry.

Deadpool_25

Post by Deadpool_25 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:20 am

I have a Vypyr 60 and it does all the tones you could want and more. It may not nail the sound of the real amps, but it's damn good for what it is. In other words even if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the real amps, it's close and regardless, it sounds good on its own merit. Sounds like there might be something wrong with yours other than just tubes.

Like j_fury68, mine is up for sale locally on CL and Offer Up. If it sells, cool. If not, cool. Excellent amp.
Amps:
- Fractal FM9 Turbo
- Vypyr 60
- EVH 50w (Stealth and 6L6 2x12 combo)

Guitars:
- Too many

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:09 am

Sorry it took so long. This is the back if the board with the knobs/encoders. You can see that the switches are numbered.
Attachments
IMG_20170803_200551172.jpg
IMG_20170803_200551172.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5068 times

MrKooz

Post by MrKooz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Thank you so much!

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 am

OP what guitar are you using? Noise and feedback could be a pickup problem, although it sounds like playing through your Mustang is ok.

Take it back to the shop that replaced your tubes and ask them their opinion. Its rare but maybe one of the replacement tubes they sent you was defective.