Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
User avatar
sambot
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby sambot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 pm

A couple of months ago, I made a 1x12" cab. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. Encouraged by that project, I decided to convert my favorite little combo amp into a matching head:

Vypyr 15 Head: gallery and build photos

Check out the full gallery above, but here's a before and after preview:

Image

I'm just a tinkerer, and I barely know what I'm doing when it comes to this kind of thing... that said, I think things turned out pretty nicely! It was relatively easy to do, and a hell of a lot of fun to build.

If you're thinking about a project like this, do it! It's super fun and you'll have a one-of-a-kind amp. If you have done something like this (I know I'm not the first), I'd love to see pics!

A note about the Peavey Vypyr 15: I chose the Vypyr 15 to hack up for this project for a few reasons. First, it's a super fun little modeling amp with a decent range of tones and effects. Second, you can get these things on Craigslist for around $40... so it's a pretty low investment. If I screwed things up and had to scrap the project, I wouldn't have felt too bad. Third, the Vypyr software allows for cab swaps... meaning it's possible to voice the output of the amp to accommodate different styles of cab/speaker (to a limited degree). So this little Vypyr is now voiced a bit brighter than its default to compensate for the naturally added low end that a 12" speaker adds.

A note about the note about Vypyr cab swapping: So this cab swapping thing is only available with firmware version 1.58 (and beyond) of the Vypyr software. The original Vypyr that I bought ($25, Craigslist) was version 1.55. You can't update the Vypyr 15 because it's missing the requisite midi port that is used to push new software from your computer to the unit via a USB to midi cable (its larger siblings have a midi port). So, on the 15, you're stuck with whatever was installed at the factory. There's a thread on the forums that goes over all of this stuff. Anyway, every time one of these would pop up on CL or similar, I'd ask the seller to check the software version (yeah, I'm that guy). I finally found one on Reverb that clocked in at version 1.58. I picked it up for $45 including shipping!
Last edited by sambot on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vypyrtrails
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 pm

That is sooo beautiful!!

You should work for Peavey. All the finishings are really Great :!:
Really like the grill cloth you used.

You took the Vypyr Series to another level, a Pro Rig.

Very Impressive.

dalrymple
Member
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby dalrymple » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Looks good from here! Nice.
Dalrymple

User avatar
wmjones
Member
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby wmjones » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm

sambot wrote:A note about the note about Vypyr cab swapping: So this cab swapping thing is only available with firmware version 1.58 (and beyond) of the Vypyr software. The original Vypyr that I bought ($25, Craigslist) was version 1.55. You can't update the Vypyr 15 because it's missing the requisite midi port that is used to push new software from your computer to the unit via a USB to midi cable (its larger siblings have a midi port). So, on the 15, you're stuck with whatever was installed at the factory. There's a thread on the forums that goes over all of this stuff. Anyway, every cableone of these would pop up on CL or similar, I'd ask the seller to check the software version (yeah, I'm that guy). I finally found one on Reverb that clocked in at version 1.58. I picked it up for $45 including shipping!
If anyone else is thinking of doing this you can add the midi board to the vypyr15. The DSP board in the vypyr15 already has the pin connector on it. You only need to get the midi board for the vypyr (not VIP) and the connecting cable and install on the back side of the chassis. You will need to drill a hole for it.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

User avatar
j_fury68
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby j_fury68 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 pm

wmjones wrote:
sambot wrote:A note about the note about Vypyr cab swapping: So this cab swapping thing is only available with firmware version 1.58 (and beyond) of the Vypyr software. The original Vypyr that I bought ($25, Craigslist) was version 1.55. You can't update the Vypyr 15 because it's missing the requisite midi port that is used to push new software from your computer to the unit via a USB to midi cable (its larger siblings have a midi port). So, on the 15, you're stuck with whatever was installed at the factory. There's a thread on the forums that goes over all of this stuff. Anyway, every cableone of these would pop up on CL or similar, I'd ask the seller to check the software version (yeah, I'm that guy). I finally found one on Reverb that clocked in at version 1.58. I picked it up for $45 including shipping!
If anyone else is thinking of doing this you can add the midi board to the vypyr15. The DSP board in the vypyr15 already has the pin connector on it. You only need to get the midi board for the vypyr (not VIP) and the connecting cable and install on the back side of the chassis. You will need to drill a hole for it.

This is true, but I believe you also have to add a resistor to the board of the 15 when updating it for midi. Still easily worth doing. Oh... fantastic job on this project! Love it!
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

User avatar
sambot
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby sambot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Yeah, I think I saw that midi board hack somewhere. Just a bit beyond my expertise, I think. For me, it was easier to wait for a version 1.58 Vypyr to become available. I didn't have to wait too long.

Now I do have an extra Vypyr 15 at 1.55. Could be worth experimenting with the midi board. Although, the stock cab looks big enough to replace the 8" with a 10". Maybe that's the next project...

User avatar
j_fury68
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby j_fury68 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm

sambot wrote:Yeah, I think I saw that midi board hack somewhere. Just a bit beyond my expertise, I think. For me, it was easier to wait for a version 1.58 Vypyr to become available. I didn't have to wait too long.

Now I do have an extra Vypyr 15 at 1.55. Could be worth experimenting with the midi board. Although, the stock cab looks big enough to replace the 8" with a 10". Maybe that's the next project...

It can be done. I stuffed a 12 in one. Had to make an angled baffle. Kind of goofy,but still cool.
Attachments
1502479666734-1650706036.jpg
1502479666734-1650706036.jpg (1021.34 KiB) Viewed 90 times
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

vypyrtrails
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby vypyrtrails » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 pm

j_fury68 that is pure genius to angle the speaker like that!

So you did not, have to change the speaker opening...

I don't care much for 4x12s that are angled, yet combos are nice to have tilted back a bit.
Great :idea:

Lot of Talented people here, thats for sure :!:

User avatar
j_fury68
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Look! I made a Vypyr 15 head!

Postby j_fury68 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm

vypyrtrails wrote:j_fury68 that is pure genius to angle the speaker like that!

So you did not, have to change the speaker opening...

I don't care much for 4x12s that are angled, yet combos are nice to have tilted back a bit.
Great :idea:

Lot of Talented people here, thats for sure :!:

Yes. I removed the baffle in front of the amp and opened up the hole to allow for speaker sound to travel more freely. I replaced it so it holds the grill cloth. Sometimes I get an "out of the box" idea that works. Thanks. :D
Attachments
1502481146634-74333598.jpg
1502481146634-74333598.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 83 times
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.


Return to “Vypyr & Sanpera”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests