Hitting that clean on the verge of overdrive sound

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Captainstrat

Hitting that clean on the verge of overdrive sound

Post by Captainstrat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:51 pm

And how frustrating finding it can be!

I thought I'd nailed it - XXX model, green, same EQ as the preset, only difference is I've dimed the pre and post gain.

But once again, what sounded awesome this morning - clean, fat and with a bit of growl when digging in the strings - now sounds muddy and crunchy (not in a good way)...back to the old drawing board looks like...
Forgive the lack of chops ;)

wmjones

Re: Hitting that clean on the verge of overdrive sound

Post by wmjones » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 am

Captainstrat wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:51 pm
And how frustrating finding it can be!

I thought I'd nailed it - XXX model, green, same EQ as the preset, only difference is I've dimed the pre and post gain.

But once again, what sounded awesome this morning - clean, fat and with a bit of growl when digging in the strings - now sounds muddy and crunchy (not in a good way)...back to the old drawing board looks like...
I do not understand what you mean by dimed pre and post gain. Did you saved your settings you used in the morning? Did you start with the same preset when you tried later (when you changed to XXX green)? There could have been line interference (outlet) when you tried later. When you find what you like you should (must) save it to a preset.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Captainstrat

Post by Captainstrat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:57 am

Dimed=cranked all the way.

Captainstrat

Post by Captainstrat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Sigh...perception is a funny thing...

Haven't touched a knob, sat down this morning first with the Strat, then with the Les Paul and lastly, with the PRS...the settings sound fine again :roll: fat and clean with a bit of growl when I hit the strings harder.

I'm wondering if there might be electromagnetic interference at play here, my apartment is located right next door to the floor's electrical room, and weird hisses, buzzes and pops seem to be more prominent later in the evening (when more lights are turned on)...might be unrelated, but another glitch I'm getting is when the Sanpera I is in looper mode, hitting the effect/delay footswitches sometimes enables the wah wah...

I'm sure there's a rational explanation...I'm no scientist but electromagnetic interference seems to be a logical explanation?

:?: :?: :?:

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 am

Captainstrat wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm wondering if there might be electromagnetic interference at play here, my apartment is located right next door to the floor's electrical room, and weird hisses, buzzes and pops seem to be more prominent later in the evening (when more lights are turned on)...might be unrelated, but another glitch I'm getting is when the Sanpera I is in looper mode, hitting the effect/delay footswitches sometimes enables the wah wah...

I'm sure there's a rational explanation...I'm no scientist but electromagnetic interference seems to be a logical explanation?

:?: :?: :?:
could be ... i went through 5 DVR's at my first house - the wiring was questionable - no problems at current house.

maybe get a power conditioner to keep your gear/tone safe? you can get one for $50 and up ...
i got a Furman unit that sits on top of my Vypyr Pro - mainly so i can turn all my gear on with one switch. the lights and power conditioning are a bonus.