Peavey VIP 2 Noise

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Tobiasj

Peavey VIP 2 Noise

Post by Tobiasj » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Hey, Guys;

I'm new to the forum and have a problem with my VIP 2 that I don't see any other posts that pertain to it. I purchased a new Peavey VIP 2 back in March of this year (2017). Ever since I've owned it, I haven't been able to use any of the electric amps at all and can only use the acoustic and bass amps with certain cables. I have several instrument cables from a variety of companies, some pretty expensive and some moderately expensive and some just plain cheap. So far I've only been able to use four of my cables with this amp, and oddly enough, three of them are the cheap ones. The problem is that when I plug into the amp I get a loud fluttering sound. Loud enough that it drowns out the instrument being played and when I try to use my electric guitar with any of the electric amps all I get is a loud ear piercing squeal.

These are the instruments I use: Epiphone Les Paul Jr. with humbucker pickups. six string acoustic with L.R. Baggs M80 pickup. Tenor Guitar with MI-SI Magpie pickup. Oschar Schmidt Baritone Ukulele with MI-SI Acoustic Trio for Ukes pickup. A Carmel Baritone Ukulele with brand specific Pieazo Pickup and a Lanaikai Tenor Ukulele with a UK-2000 Pieazo Pickup. It doesn't matter which one of these instriments I use, if I don't use one of the four cables I'll get the loud fluttering sound or the squeal with the Les Paul. None of the cables work with the electric amp settings but as long as I'm using one of the four cables, and on the acoustic amp setting, even with the Les Paul, then everything sounds great. I use a Carmel U Bass on the bass setting and it is fine.

I use all of these cables with my recording setup using a Tascam DP-32SD along with a Digitech Live Vocalist 3 and have never had a problem. Every cable I have works great in the studio.

Has anyone out there ever had this same problem? Does anyone have a clue as to what would be the problem? Thanks.

stratpurist

Re: Peavey VIP 2 Noise

Post by stratpurist » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I have the VIP2. the only time I have had anything like this happen was when I got carried away with the highest (red) amp settings with certain stomp boxes in combination. Assuming the amp is not defective (seems likely) I would try using the reset to factory trick of holding A and B bank buttons while powering up the amp.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

wmjones

Re: Peavey VIP 2 Noise

Post by wmjones » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Tobiasj wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:39 pm
Hey, Guys;
Does anyone have a clue as to what would be the problem? Thanks.
The vypyr Vip series amps are designed for passive not active pickups or pickups with built-in preamps. except the acoustic and base amp models. Of the instruments you named only the Epiphone is passive pickups. However it does sound like you have a bad amp. You could try using only green and yellow channels.
8) HAPPY DAYS: