Newbie "dead notes" noise gate / gain settings questions

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
nyetjones

Newbie "dead notes" noise gate / gain settings questions

Post by nyetjones » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been searching this forum a lot but haven't quite found something similar - when I play my fender strat on the neck pickup through my Vypyr VIP-2 on clean settings, the e-string tends to sound really muffled / dead. It's not the guitar - it sounds fine unplugged and in other amps and using the same cord - so it has to be something with the VIP. I suspect that this might be related to the noise gate and that somehow the thinnest string on a relatively low output pickup is not just meeting the bar, so the gate is cutting it out. Has anyone had this experience? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Also, I have found that the volume on almost any amp on the gain and high gain settings is stupidly high. I know those are the factory settings for the post gain, but I feel like every time I power up the amp I have to turn the post gain back down again. If I'm understanding the amp correctly, there are only eight save slots for electric guitar on the amp, and obviously there are way more amp-clean-gain-high-gain combs than that. Is there any way to get the amp to remember to leave the post gain down, or do I just have to turn it down every time I use a new amp / gain setting the first time?

Thanks for your help!

wmjones

Re: Newbie "dead notes" noise gate / gain settings questions

Post by wmjones » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:31 pm

As for the strat, change the string (s). As for the volume setting, Set the pre and post gain you want in each preset to what you like and save before powering amp off or changing preset.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 am

nyetjones wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm
I suspect that this might be related to the noise gate and that somehow the thinnest string on a relatively low output pickup is not just meeting the bar, so the gate is cutting it out. Has anyone had this experience? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
did you try raising the pickup to be closer to the strings?

nyetjones

Post by nyetjones » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm confident it's not the strings on the strat; it works fine on other amps.

Thanks for the note on saving the presets. I'm still wondering if there's a way when I switch from Twn to XXX (or what have you) there's any way to have the amp to "remember" that I don't want all of the other amps at ridiculous pre-gain levels. So I'm not talking about the pre-sets, just about when I switch amps. Is it really the case that I can only have 16 amp / channel combos that I can keep at reasonable volumes?

And I have tried messing around with the pickups to no great effect. So far the thing that seems to have helped somewhat is the trick mentioned elsewhere on this forum - I changed the amp to tuning mode and lovered the main volume to almost zero. This seems to have raised the threshold for the noise gate. It now lets through more noise, but the e-string seems a bit more consistent. Not perfect, though, so I'm still wondering if I'm just sort of doomed to this gating issue.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:21 am

I use a clean boost pedal in front of my Vypyr 30 to confuse the gate into staying open longer with low output pickups on my Strats - Fender CS 69s, Texas Specials etc.
I have also used a compressor in front of the amp to great effect.
Both resulted in the gate staying open longer with no other ill side effects whatsoever.
Oddly the low impedance buffer in one of the pedals reduced the background metallic buzz / fizz that Vypyrs can suffer from too !

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:52 pm

nyetjones wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'm confident it's not the strings on the strat; it works fine on other amps.

Thanks for the note on saving the presets. I'm still wondering if there's a way when I switch from Twn to XXX (or what have you) there's any way to have the amp to "remember" that I don't want all of the other amps at ridiculous pre-gain levels. So I'm not talking about the pre-sets, just about when I switch amps. Is it really the case that I can only have 16 amp / channel combos that I can keep at reasonable volumes?
The answer is yes and no. There is a way to save the pre and post gain for each channel (red, yellow and green) on each preset. Save the pre and post gain on the green channel you want and save. next using the same preset and repeat with yellow channel and save. next repeat with red channel and save. this must be done without changing presets or powering off amp. now you can go to the next preset and repeat the process. I have not tried this going between amp models on the same preset. If you can you need to get a Sanpera 2 this will give you 416 presets to play with.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

RMcknight

Post by RMcknight » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Same issue on my VIP 3. And it's all over the fret board. Certain crunchy and some clean models produce dead notes. If you let the note ring out, it will after 1 to 3 seconds start to ramp up and sound. I haven't nailed it down as to which banks/settings it's happening but have defiantly had it across the board on various settings. It's annoying as hell.