VSX editor software

A forum for discussing the VSX and share settings
Bartman

VSX editor software

Post by Bartman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I used to have the program where I could view VSX presets on the computer, but don't seem to have it any more. I looked on the Peavey main web page under software section and didn't see an option to download it anywhere. Does anyone still have this program available to download?

SemperFiSound

Re: VSX editor software

Post by SemperFiSound » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Peavey abandoned it as it was buggy & quirky and needed a re-write.
I think I have it in a zip somewhere....PM me with email address.

Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 am

Use with Caution.
Data changes on its on.
GUI Scale is not really log.

It is actually faster to input data from the unit control panel.

I just wish you guy's would refrain from passing it around.

As far as I am concerned, it is simply eye wash, that causes more inflammation.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Marty,
I understand your point and concerns. BUT, there is a reason Playboy has done so damn well over the past 60+ years: pictures help with understanding, appreciation and change management.

Let's try an experiment: pull the Media Matrix software from the marketplace and see how sales go. NO? Hmm, why not? Hold that reason on the front burner for a second......

4-5 years ago, I offered to re-write the VSX26 software - gratis - to give VSX26 users a bug free way to look at their presets and edit them and have a visual reference so they could understand what was going on. Hell, now I could write it as an Android App with the current Java compiler capabilities.
But, no one would grant permissions for me to do it. And rather than risk a marketing or trademark war, I didn't do it on my own either.

There are probably 25 people, globally, who even remember they have this software, and maybe 10 of them use it.
I think the scope of issue should alleviate your concerns. If it was truly a "command-level" issue, HP would/should have rectified it by now.

All 3 of my VSXs are in racks, in secured roll aways, in my barn. Far away from my computer/work area. If I had to go roll out, un-secure and then plug one in anytime I wanted to look at, review, check or change a preset, that would be a helluva PITA. The VSX Editor permits me to do that from the comfort of my air conditioned study, on my Mac Faux computer.

Lastly, it helps me conveniently help other VSX26 users who bought this unit and now have questions about the Peavey presets not being consistent from A to B, which one is correct, etc. The VSX26 is a GREAT crossover box. But it must be programmed correctly. Short of this forum, the published presets - which are not really ready for prime time - and your mentorings, Peavey has done nothing to help the new VSX26 user, from a hands-on FULLY explanatory manual or software perspective. Yes, TKTTKANUTD, but the dragon in the bottomless moat scares a lot of people away from the kingdom's door. Not a good business model these days.

Yes, I know I am not the "average" user. Yes, I understand the Media Matrix software is much more fun, accurate and unfortunately, non-VSX preset compatible. Not my standardization issue that drove this bus over the cliff. Not yours either. But it is what it is.

Back to our experiment...do we think sales would fall off if the MM software went away? Do we think Peavey Customer service would be inundated with tech support calls? How many MM users already have Keys to the Kingdom? How many would discontinue use if the software went away? So may we agree that a proper computer based tool for making and visualizing crossover settings is a great thing? Why did Peavey think otherwise for the VSX26 user population (most of which are still trying to cross the moat) and allow this computer assistance to rot on the vine? Forget about the "real-time-on-the-fly" adjustment software that was promised and not delivered due to someone not buying the correct processor. (Oh wait, did that same person make the FX Mixer chip purchase too? But I digress...)
Just having a proper VSX26 editor would make a world of difference in the understanding, appreciation and change management of presets for the beginning, intermediate and Pro User.

My intent is to continue to use the VSX Editor as the tool it is. Someday I might re-write it, just for giggles, because I don't believe the user base is large enough to make it profitable. If someone like Bartman or Don L. asks me for the software I will give it to them, as I know they already know how to use it. Others will have to earn the privilege.

Be happy to discuss with anyone next time they are in Philly, or if they want to bother to pick up the phone. Hell, I'll even splurge for the cheesesteaks and Yuengling.

Slainte,
Steve

Flight suit is ON. And I'm at Mach 3 on this topic....

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:30 pm

SemperFiSound wrote:Flight suit is ON. And I'm at Mach 3 on this topic....
Steve... Not even a fair comparison.

The difference is that you can not even USE any of the MediaMatrix hardware without the computer software.

You can use a VSX just fine without any computer software.

However, I agree with you completely on how useful it is to have and be able to use the VSX Editor software.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I wasn't planning on using the software to make adjustments to presets. I only want to use it to study all the settings in the comfort of home and then once I've made some notes on paper, I'll go out to the system and manually input the data.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm

JoshM wrote:Not even a fair comparison.
True. MM is GREAT stuff. And why is it computer interface? Because that works! Why? Because it is visual and intuitive.

But the point is that Peavey was on the cutting edge of this evolution (the VSX26 software is dated July 2006!) and with 100% of purpose and forethought, completely blew it for the end user.
Bartman wrote:I wasn't planning on using the software to make adjustments to presets. I only want to use it to study all the settings in the comfort of home and then once I've made some notes on paper, I'll go out to the system and manually input the data.
Bartman, it doesn't matter why YOU wanted the software - you are an experienced Peavy VSX26 user (as well as cabs/amps, etc), you contribute back to your immediate community as well as these forums, and therefore you rate anything Peavey made that you think will make your life easier. There's no discussion here.
Software sent. Please advise if it makes it.

Steve

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 pm

and dont get me started on the vypyr editor software either.

:evil:

thenosboss

Post by thenosboss » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 am

Bartman wrote:I wasn't planning on using the software to make adjustments to presets. I only want to use it to study all the settings in the comfort of home and then once I've made some notes on paper, I'll go out to the system and manually input the data.
Exactly...it is so much easier to learn and understand the functions of the VSX by using the editor...but not being able to reliably transfer presets using the software is a minor, but considering it is 2013, an unnecessary inconvenience.
The fact that Peavey still continue to offer incorrect VSX presets on their website for downloading by their customers is unfathomable.... :? :? :? A bloody disgrace actually.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Brad
Brad's Sound Company, Darwin, NT, Australia
8 x QW218, 8 x QW2F, 6 x SP15M
10 x CS4080, 3 x CS3000, 2 x CS2000, 1 x CS800x4, 1 x IPR1600
3 x VSX26, 2 x CEL-2a, 13 x QF131, 2 x PV231
32FX, 24FX, 16FX, Yamaha IM8-32

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:37 am

Steve,

I will not even begin to argue with you or anyone else over the VSX-26. I am certain that I have programmed and used it on more system designs than anyone. I can tell you that there are also some subcutenous warts as well.

My biggest VSX dissapointment is that the GUI was nowhere near as sophisticated as the Digitool MX, nor the CEX-5 that preceded it. By the way IMHO, the CEX-5 had the slickest GUI.

In addition to the data sometimes changing when manuvering through the vsx GUI, the graphic display is very weak and does NOT show the actual "real" slopes, which are necessary to truly understand the interaction of the various filter functions (Bw, L/R, Bs) with different orders of roll off.

So I have a solution for you that want to see the real capabilities, and that is to download the GUI's for thew CEX-5 or the Digitool MX. Guess what in addition to the slopes, they can show you the phase response of the filters. However please understand that knowing the results of summing the outputs of a digital or analog X-Over for that matter, is so very short of empirical understanding. As measuring the actual interaction of the transducers in the acoustical environement itself and then making adjustments to the DSP unit itself, is the only way to reach the mountain top.

Peavey has been manufacturing DSP units for more than a twenty years, the 1st in the MI market was the PC4, PC4X, PC4XL. I have used them all. I wish I had actually documented the number of systems that I designed implementing DSP. The number that I actually set up and measured is smaller than the number designed, but, if would still be larger number than most others would do in normal audio providing.

As has been stated, there are 10's of thousand happy VSX customers.

Oh, and Peavey stopped listening to me awhile back, thus my retirement.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:17 am

Yes, there are thousands of placated VSX26 users. I count myself among them.
The Digitool MX interface is nice. I have used it for those "graphical purposes" with VSX26 data.
Obviously, the Digitool doesn't support the VSX26 preset format.
"Standards are so great - there's so many of them." - Engineer conversation at the water cooler.
Not much more needs be said - until Peavey decides to disinfsckulate their commitment to VSX26 users by merely hanging the CORRECT presets on the download page. They can use the VSX Editor to map the correct settings from "A" to "B."

Steve

<throttle retarded from afterburner detent>

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Just to add . . . .

Unfortunately, in today's technology, too often computer chips are actually obsolete even before a product hits the market. Rather than expend programming resources on things that already have one foot in the tar pit, the better allocation decision is to look ahead. Although of course if you do not learn from the past . . . . then . . . . as the famous catcher said; "It's De Ja Vue all over again."

Cherrydogbrad

Post by Cherrydogbrad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 am

thenosboss wrote: The fact that Peavey still continue to offer incorrect VSX presets on their website for downloading by their customers is unfathomable....
Brad
That is totally bush league.

M2 music

Post by M2 music » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:33 pm

Brad!!

I know you guys have probably done this over and over...but I have only recently acquired A VRX26 along with QW4fs. I would love a copy of the peavey BETA software for a better learning experience. I am aware that its unsupported by the company at this point but I would like to have it anyway. Anyone else who has a copy of this I would be grateful to have it. Thanks in advance...

Dano0369

Post by Dano0369 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:42 am

Hell-o Sir: hang on, I have been told the vsx units are fixing to be refreshed. a new gui may be in the works. :arrow:
Dano0369