Who is having problems with their AmpKit Link?

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

sbaitso

Who is having problems with their AmpKit Link?

Post by sbaitso » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Reading these forums, looks like there are a bunch of us out there with issues with our AmpKit Link. Has anyone tried a replacement unit and found it to work? Is there a bad batch out there, or is there a setting I'm missing? What are the proper tech support channels? I've submitted a request through the Agile website, but so far have gotten no response.

My problem is a low output, along with a thin, out of phase sound. What other issues are people having?

Frank01

Re: Who is having problems with their AmpKit Link?

Post by Frank01 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 am

I'm having feedback issues when a guitar isn't even plugged in! Not the realistic feedback from real amps but just crackles and pops, like a bad phone line. I thought it were the single coil pickups.

I also put the iphone on airplane mode as per the instructions, and the crackles and pops are still there.

I read all about playing around with the noise gate, but once I get a setting that works, trying to solo and get some sustain it cuts out. There's no happy medium. Either you have nasty crackles and pops with decent sustain, or no crackles and pops with very little sustain.

This was all done on brand new batteries, so that's not the culprit.

Does iRig have this issue?

Last but not least, the amp models sound great!

Thanks,

Frank

sbaitso

Post by sbaitso » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 pm

I ended up emailing the folks at Agile ([email protected]) - I didn't get a response from their support web form go figure, nor could I find any troubleshooting info anywhere online.

At any rate, they told me that it sounded like I had a faulty unit. I had Musicians Friend exchange it for a new one and the difference was night and day. My original Ampkit Link was definitely DOA. The new one sounds great.

So far its sounding really good, and the Ampkit software sounds impressive (Definitely better than the competing Amplitube software - though in fairness I only have the free version of Amplitube to compare with).

cedareden

Post by cedareden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I have a problem with horrible feedback using a Griffen connector. Never had any problems with iPhone or iPad using iShred Live but Ampkit+ feeds back something awful on both iOS devices

cedareden

Post by cedareden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm beginning to think problem is with AmpKit and they are trying to pass it off on the hardware since I have no issues using competing iShred Live. I shelled out $20 because I was lured by all the extra features but they are worthless beneath the screeching of uncontrollable feedback

jonquilmusic

Post by jonquilmusic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

For what it's worth, I get tons less outside noise when I let my iphone "float." If I have it plugged into a charger while playing, it gets mighty noisy, but cleans right up when I unplug the charger. (I had to go adjust all my noisegates down to near zero afterwards.)

I could use help with the level out, though. It's pretty weak. I have to use the microphone input on my computer with boost to get any kind of jam along level.

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:39 pm

cedareden - If you're still having feedback, with any connector, we would like to help. Non-powered connectors will generally be more prone to feedback since AmpKit itself has quite a bit higher output than most other apps. We're more than willing to help if you get in touch with us at info@agilepartners .com so we can lend a hand.

jonquil - absolutely correct. If you have your iPhone/iPod/iPad plugged in and charging, that causes electrical interference in the device that cannot be countered. You will need to be unplugged. In terms of the level, the starting point is usually to have your device volume set to around 7 blocks. Check your Amp volume, then, tap the level indicators at the bottom-right corner and adjust your input/output gains. If the output is still weak, send us an email, and we can troubleshoot further.

jonquilmusic

Post by jonquilmusic » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Brandley helped me out real quick with my volume issue via e-mail. He didn't even call me an idiot because I didn't know there was a rocker switch on the side of the phone for volume control! (Never had and i-phone before, I got an old one with a cracked screen for free!) :oops: